PDA

View Full Version : The smarter purchase (Guard Related)

Some guy (UK)
01-01-2007, 18:16
As you know, Christmas has been and gone, and so this; and the money generated from my Birthday three days later, has given me the funds to start my new Imperial Guard army off. Essentially, I'm not sure as two which purchase to make first, but not in the way you think.

The models will be cadians, and like many I'm sorely tempted by the upgrades produced by forgeworld.
I'm looking at spending around £130 either way, and so my question is this: is it smarter to buy the forgeworld goods first, and then save up for the normal components, or to buy the builk of the army first, and then the upgrades?

If you are wondering as to what by purchases will be, here they are:

Forgeworld-
CADIAN COMMAND HQ SQUAD 1 £20.00
CADIAN UPGRADE PACK - HARDENED VETERANS WITH SHOTGUNS (x3)£27.00
CADIAN INFANTRY SQUAD WITH RESPIRATORS UPGRADE PACK (x4) £64.00
CADIAN INFANTRY SQUAD UPGRADE PACK 1 £16.00
Subtotal £127.00
Total, including shipping and handling £127.00
Shipping and handling should be free if I get my Skates on.

Normal GW products (to be purchased through Ebay stores:
Cadian Battleforce X2: £86 inc delivery
Cadian Kasrkin Squad X2: £36 inc delivery
Kasrkin Special Weapons: £7 inc delivery
Total: £129

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inquisitor lorr
01-01-2007, 18:28
I would go for a mix something like....

One battleforce
2 Infantry upgrades/respirator uprgrades
FW command squad
2 Kasrkin squads

By the prices you quoted i make that £131.Thats a good start.It means you can get started straight away and be saving money whilst you're building them.

I wouldn't buy them individually(FW first then GW or vice versa) as that means you won't be able to do anything with them until you've bought the other sets.

LuTze
01-01-2007, 18:31
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Have you got the codex? If not that should be first on your wishlist. You would be best off getting your HQ and Troops sorted before anything else, 2 Boxes of shock troops, a Chimera, the HQ box set. That will give you a basic minimum army and cost a bit more then 70. So that would leave you about 50 to get whatever takes your fancy.

That's how I started my Guard army and so far I've had no regrets.

Just a thought
LuTze

Cpt.Hellboy
01-01-2007, 18:44
I would buy the games workshop models and the forgeworld components at the same time so that you can start to build strait away and not having to wait around. Build and paint all these models before you buy the next lot and so on. I done this with my guard army and i like it.

Creep
01-01-2007, 19:03
I second Inquisitor lorr...brilliant man, brilliant.

t-tauri
01-01-2007, 19:16
I'd get the Forgeworld order in first as the 12% postage represents a significant saving. If you can afford to pick up enough Cadians in the next few weeks to work on you should be okay.

xibo
01-01-2007, 19:44
Be adviced that the infantry upgrade packs don't contain caidians. Just 'upgrades' to make Veterans out of plastic caidians, so you'll still need those. I'd recommend you to take the fw command squad ( it's awesome, and it doesn't have those freaking molding artefacts gw and fw usualy have ), 2 respirator upgrades to veterans and two boxes of caidians or a battleforce. Also, the Kaidian special weapons from FW are awesome too, and their also well molded ( those are the only two kits i ever got from both gw and fw that were well molded - though i never bought the respirator variant of the vet upgrade )...

Catferret
01-01-2007, 20:46
Battleforce. £50 of greatness. They save you a fortune and you get all the cool toys like tanks and heavy weapons as well as the all important basic infantry. Then you can add on a couple of FW upgrade sprues and some more infantry to take you up to your £130.

Some guy (UK)
02-01-2007, 21:15
Thank you very much for your help so far.
There have been some very good ideas, such as Inquisitor lorr's suggestion. I was going for that, until I realised that I need to buy one of the 50 sets for my LOTR Uruk-hai force. I'm going to buy that now, so there is no need for any more purchases for that force, bar a character or two.
So, my play is this: to purhcase the 50 Uruk Hai box set, and two squads of Kasrkin. This comes to roughly 80.
From there, I will have 50 left over. If I save up some more, and add in another twenty pounds from my bank account, I will end up with 110 in 4-5 weeks. Using that, I will then purhcase a Cadian Battleforce, two FW cadian squad upgrade sets, and the Command group.
Once again, cheers for your advice.