PDA

View Full Version : "Not what it should look like"

Tonberry
01-01-2007, 19:17
I had trouble a while back with some kid who complained that I couldn't count my Termy as having a Reaper Autocannon as the weapon it is carrying is ''not what it should look like". This is the conversion I am using and I want to know if you think the kid was just in saying this and that I should order the Chaos Termy Reaper or the Defiler one instead?

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=autocannonnl2.jpg

Inquisitor lorr
01-01-2007, 19:19
Nah..its fine.You've done a good conversion and its obvious what it is.Its not as if you're trying to take a lazy way out.So tell him to shut up and just play with it.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
01-01-2007, 19:27
as long as you are consistent, then it should be fine. what i mean is, if you use a weapon that looks like that as a Reaper, then all weapons that look like that should be Reapers, and not anything else.

i see no reason not to use that as a Reaper (its not like it could easily be mistaken for a Storm Bolter or anything, lol). nice conversion, btw. :)

~ Tim

Toastrider
01-01-2007, 19:38
What the-- oh. Nurgle-aligned Chaos Terminator, right? I was wondering why he was potbellied and looked like he'd been sneezed on :) Sorry :)

But yeah, what the others said. Looks fine to me. Threaten him with 'Well, it COULD be a TWIN LINKED LASCANNON' :)

--TR

Slaaneshi Slave
01-01-2007, 19:40
If you want to use pink flying hippos as Rhinos and Garden Gnomes as Terminators, so long as you let me know before the battle, what difference does it make?

god octo
01-01-2007, 19:40
i would have no problem with it- its a very good conversion and as long as you informed him, i think its fine.

Norminator
01-01-2007, 19:45
I hadn't seen that painted yet, good job there!

It doesn't look too unlike reaper autocannons, and even if it did I'd agree to play against it. Makes me think that the kid was just trying to put you off using it (I've known people do that against my friend's devastators because they're 'scared' of them).

Da Reddaneks
01-01-2007, 19:49
kid has issues. that is close enough to wysiwyg for this game.

Feor
01-01-2007, 19:55
It's a terminator carrying a large,two barreled weapon. There's only one thing it can be by the rules. I wouldn't complain.

PaRaSiTe_X92
01-01-2007, 19:59
Same, I would say it's fine. If not, make up some fluff for why they have modified ones; maybe say they're lighter?

And if he doesn't accept it, pick faults with his army. For example, that gun has a fleck of blue paint on it, therefore it's not a bolter. Or something stupid like that.

scopedog91
01-01-2007, 22:16
Love to see the army of the guy you are playing against.
I'd say that unless he has a Golden Deamon level army, he is just being a git.
Mr.Nurgle looks great there, by the way...

xibo
01-01-2007, 22:34
to me it looks like an autocannon that has mutated and got all rotten by the influences of nurgle. I mean come on, your other termie's bolterbolters also have mutated to look like storm bolters, right?

Flame Boy
01-01-2007, 22:38
If you turn that Terminator side-on, and look at the silhouette, it's a large, two-barreled cannon. I don't see what the problem is, personally. It sounds like the call of a pedant really. It's a Chaos Terminator. Since when has Chaos found minor variations in it's weaponry unacceptable? If a space marine's arm can turn into a big chompy mouth or a tentacle thanks to the influence of chaos, I'm sure a minor variation of the standard Reaper autocannon is acceptable.

bnf
01-01-2007, 23:06
I like that better than the standard GW autocannon. This one says: "I fire big nasty things at you, if you're smart get out of my line of sight.".
The GW Terminator autocannon looks puny (and a bit silly what with that pocket knife stuck to the front of it) in comparison.

Lord Inquisitor
01-01-2007, 23:17
40K could really do with a proper, official "Counts As" rule like in Epic. I.e. if you have made a conversion or substitute model that isn't identical to the normal figure, providing you inform your opponent and you are consistant, then it's legal...

marv335
01-01-2007, 23:25
looks fine to me, your opponent was being a git.
players like that are why the rulebook is hardback.....

IncrediSteve
01-01-2007, 23:30
Get a pin vice and drill out the barrels. Then there's no contest.

[As is, he could pull out "well it looks like he's just holding two steel rods he pulled out of the sewer somewhere..."]

Mr_Smiley
02-01-2007, 00:07
looks like an autocannon to me.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
02-01-2007, 00:11
You know, a ninja kick to the head would probably clear things up.

Getifa Ubazza
02-01-2007, 00:13
Looks fine, whats his problem?

Hellebore
02-01-2007, 03:15
Counts as is a sacred rule, one I abuse all the time.

Such a sinner and heretic should meet my counts as banana - just because it weighs 2 kg and looks like a brick doesn't mean it can't count as a banana.

Not a single one of my opponents has had any issue with anything my models are modelled off, or equipped with.

So long as you just say what everything is, then it should be fine. The miniatures are just there to represent the rules anyway.

Hellebore

Marshal2Crusaders
02-01-2007, 04:44
how old was this kid neway, and since when can somone tell you what u can and can not use. if that was the case.....

i dont feel like playing against any weapons above strength 5 today so get rid of all those lascannons will you who do you think you are...

Lord Humongous
02-01-2007, 05:00
Chaos terminator. Big long two barreled gun. Only one thing it really CAN be.

I had trouble a while back with some kid...

That pretty much explains it. Kids at a certain age decide that they know stuff and therefore can tell others what to do, and will push it as far as they can until somebody smacks them.

InquisitorNiels
02-01-2007, 05:49
Not much more to say here, many have stated what needs to be said. Anyway I will just say it again just so you know your right and this kid is being a little pain in the ass. There is nothing else the weapon could be so I fail to see what he is trying to get at. I would do as many others have said thus far...

~Make sure he knows before hand what it is. Tell him before the game ever starts, take the model out show it to him, maybe let him hold it if you are feeling kind. Tell him "You see this, this here is a reaper autocannon...this is its stats, are we clear?" If not ask him what is giving him trouble and kindly let him know what ever he needs to be told.

~On the base just write with some white paint Autocannon, or just "AC"

~Make sure everything in his army is 100% perfect, I mean if he is going to be a little jackass about such a small thing then really let him have it. Make sure all models with frag/krak/metla bombs have them modeled on. You get the point.

~Dont play him!

~Explain to him that this is not simply a game, it is a hobby. Part of that hobby is painting and converting your models. If everyone just used the basic models, all painted them the same way the codex says they must be painted, why even use models at all? Round bases with names would be just as good.

~Dont play him!

All in all, I think he might be trying to just **** you off, or maybe that is really what he thinks. Maybe he truly believes that if its not the model that GW comes out with you can't use it. If this is the case really do try and be nice and explain to him the depth of our hobby.

If he still says you need the very same model that GW makes and names "Chaos Space Marines in Termi Armour with Reaper Autocannon" then ask him to buy it for you. When he tells you "NO!" then tell him to shut his mouth (nicely:D ) and that you will use what ever model you want too, and until he starts buying you minis to use he will have to learn to deal with such things. If he does buy the model for you then you are lucky and can field two next time! Even if he does buy the model for you continue to use the very nice conversion you have made and he will learn his lesson.

If all that fails, just dont play the kid again...ever again!

mistformsquirrel
02-01-2007, 05:52
In my mind - the only time a conversion is going to be problematic is if its totally inconsistent. (Ie: Say your Tau Battlesuits don't use "Missile Pods" but rather borrowed Autocannons - so long as they are all moddled the same way - I see no problem. Now if you have 4 counts-as-autocannons, 2 regular missile pods and a counts-as-plasma gun all using the missile pod stats... I might get a wee peeved - but you get what I'm saying right? >.> So long as things are consistent and I'm informed, more convertin = better!)

And yeah, that model *definitely* looks like a reaper autocannon... the only other weapon I can imagine it even being mistaken for is a TL lascannon... and last I checked Chaos Terminators can't use that so >.>

Khornies & milk
02-01-2007, 08:54
He's just acting like a snot - nosed kid, does he look anything like your mini?

Lovely modelling by the way.

cheers.

Tonberry
02-01-2007, 09:17
Hmm, thanks for all the responces. Next time we meet I shall:

a) Explain to him that as his mini's have green bases, and the 40k table is a desert wasteland, that all of his models are invalid

b) Reinforce this explanation with something large and heavy.

02-01-2007, 18:14
how old was this kid neway, and since when can somone tell you what u can and can not use. if that was the case.....
i dont feel like playing against any weapons above strength 5 today so get rid of all those lascannons will you who do you think you are...
umm thats exactly how the game does work. if you dont think you will enjoy a game, you dont have to play. whats your opponent going to do - hold a gun to your head? :confused:

~ Tim

Kamin_Majere
02-01-2007, 18:24
whats your opponent going to do - hold a gun to your head?

oh... so i'm the only one to ever do that huh... how else are you supposed to guarentee victory:p

But yeah the conversion is fine. THe kid might just have known about that facet of the hobby. Not everyone converts and all so he might just need it explained.

Zorz Muaddieb
02-01-2007, 18:42
I dunno.. looks kinda like a VulcanMegaDeathTurboLaserReaperBoomStick Cannon and in the rules those are at least 1 point more expensive. ;)

The conversion looks great and as long as your opponent is informed who cares, the game is about having fun and hopefully beating your opponent with a good strat and some good luck in rolls.

/sigh

Next thing you will have is kids that complain your termies don't have enough puss on them or something.

/cheers

happy new year all!

-Z

[SD] Bob Plisskin
02-01-2007, 23:03
he dont get the extra toughness for being nurgle because you used the wrong shade of green...

Marshal2Crusaders
02-01-2007, 23:25
umm thats exactly how the game does work. if you dont think you will enjoy a game, you dont have to play. whats your opponent going to do - hold a gun to your head? :confused:

~ Tim

......:rolleyes: ........you totally missed the point u sure u dont know this kid

02-01-2007, 23:53
you totally missed the point
i did? i thought you said:
"since when can somone tell you what u can and can not use" (answer: since always)
and "i dont feel like playing against any weapons above strength 5 today so get rid of all those lascannons..." (which is a perfectly acceptable attitude to have) "...will you who do you think you are" (answer: someone with free will)?

you may want to re-read the Most Important Rule on p5 of the rulebook: its about both players having fun, so why should anyone feel forced to play the sort of game they dont think they will enjoy?

~ Tim

cailus
03-01-2007, 01:23
I'd say that's a legitimate conversion. It'd be different if it looked like a heavy flamer, but it does look like a reaper with the twin barrels.