PDA

View Full Version : Black templars, what HQ?

My_Nose_Is_Big
01-01-2007, 19:25
HI,
tomorrow i am going to buy a new HQ for my templars. I had a chaplain with command squad in mind.

could you give me some suggestions what to buy (HQ-wise)

thanks in advance

Inquisitor lorr
01-01-2007, 19:36
What have you got so far.If you haven't got an Emperors Champion then i'd advise you to get that due to the fact that its required above 750pts.Other than that i would go for a chaplain as they are just so good.They are not that expensive and can really pay back their points.They are even more useful in a BT army beacuse they're special rules about re-rolling/redirecting(can't remember which...don't have the codex) the dice when they run forward.

Reflex
01-01-2007, 21:43
well the thing is you can have a chaplain which is nice for the little bits they do and such.. or you could have a marshal. this would make your whole army LD 10... thats a 5 in 6 chance of passing LD tests for zeal moves.

i use a charactrer army for my templars, as in i use a marshal and a chaplain. it works well...

My_Nose_Is_Big
01-01-2007, 21:48
yes I have a emperors champion, and around 1500 points of templars. my first HQ was a marshal with command squad, but honestly they sucked big time.
the other (for bigger games) was a termie chaplain, with 5 assault terminators in a LRC.

i'm thinking of a assault squad with jumppack chaplain

Slaaneshi Slave
01-01-2007, 21:59
I found command squads useless. If my characters need protection they sit with other squads, like a veteran squad or assault squad.

Stella Cadente
02-01-2007, 00:10
I got all three, the free slot Emperors Champion, a Chaplain, and a Marshal, all pretty cheap, nothing fancy really

kardos
02-01-2007, 00:27
assault squad with chaplain is an amazing choice. (i have had 3 BT armies and all 3 had them) make sure to have a Power fist in the squad for Dreads and the like.
also take a cheap marshall, as the 10 LD is very nice

Reflex
02-01-2007, 01:22
yes I have a emperors champion, and around 1500 points of templars. my first HQ was a marshal with command squad, but honestly they sucked big time.

then your obviously a bad player... maybe, instead of buying more models you should learn to use the ones you have...

Marshal2Crusaders
02-01-2007, 04:50
if you get rid of the marshal your making a huge mistake. the command squad is a sink as well unless u give them no upgrades and its a 10 man sqd with counter attack and mounted in a crusader. Get all three build um like u feel(i recommend grimaldus and helbrecht as count as). dont ever put a chaplain in an assault squad that is a mistake most new templars make they lose effectiveness since ass sqds dont rage. put them in crusader squads with 3 ceno's thatll boost um with a minimum of 4 inch zeal they are great.

your not a bad player but you do have to adjust your tactic considerably. they are not marines in the conventional sense. go for some vindicators and predator see how those turn out. PM with ur results if they turn out ok im still workin to make mine tournement viable

DoctorTom
02-01-2007, 05:45
Another tactic I've read about is putting the Chaplain on a bike and send him in with a bike squadron armed with power weapons (always nice to reroll the misses on that first attack). You could even throw a teleport homer on the Chaplain if you have units that will teleport in, since the bikes can turboboost and get to where you'd want deep striking troops quickly.

My_Nose_Is_Big
02-01-2007, 10:24
then your obviously a bad player... maybe, instead of buying more models you should learn to use the ones you have...

well, to be honest, this army was my first army where I put real efford in. the last few months, my skills have improved very well, and because I loose almost all the time with this army, I just want to make it a bit more effective. I don't play to win, but losing all the time gets a bit boring :rolleyes:

I have a vindicator and bought and assembled a predator last week.

Reflex
05-01-2007, 06:23
sshooty black templars are what i use and i win alot because of that... so maybe your not looking for a new HQ but rather different tactics.

i use 1 Vindicator, pred with twin lascannon and hvy bolters, a crusader squad with plas gun, all with bolters and PF, 20 man combat squad, assault squad, lots of land speeder tornado's and a few other shooty things... it works, because people are used to assault black templars and it throws them off big time.