PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts

Weregerbil
02-01-2007, 00:33
Right folks im thinking of doing a VC army based on list list.

Lord on Zombie Dragon with Lv2 and Von Carstien Ring.
Lv2 Necromancer with book of Arcum

25 Skellies with full command

30 Zombies

2x 10 Dire Wolves with Doom Wolf

1 Bat Swarm (I had points left)

25 Grave Guard with full command

1 Banshee.

Any thoughts?

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:37
That 2000pts? I feel more necromancers would help. I don't know if there is enough magic there to get through your opponents dispel. I don't know what you could drop to fit one in though.

It is nice to see a zombie dragon though. Not enough people use dragons.

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 00:44
More magic if you want to be successful, other than that fine. I'd drop the Dragon though - huge points sink and you can really use the extra heros slot for more magic. However the army has a nice feel about it. Indeed i may steal it and covert it as my own, possibly stroking it on cold winter nights and crooning to it softly... Vamps, shut up.

Weregerbil
02-01-2007, 00:47
Nah want dragon and we shall see how the magic goes. Catferret I aint going to get as many dice as your chaos no matter how hard I try.

Catferret
02-01-2007, 00:52
I don't have that many dice... 12 is low for Tzeentch.

Seriously though, undead rely on magic more than chaos. The bonus movement and free unit creation is a core tactic of theirs.

Weregerbil
02-01-2007, 01:02
They can get by and I have 2 invocations and 2 chances to get vanhells and the book gives me another I think they will be fine.

Move Fast Hit Low
02-01-2007, 01:16
zombies arent nearly as effective as skeletons are, so you might wanna rethink a unit of 30 (you can always make some during the battle)

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 01:27
Dont knock the zombies, anything fear causing in such high numbers is good. Although if you are facing a, correct me if i'm wrong, a 12 power dice toting tzneetch army? In that case I'd loose the banshee, she'll be obliterated ina few turns, she's almost as big a fire magnet as the dragon.
You may want some scrolls as well because he will be getting spells off at you!

Catferret
02-01-2007, 01:35
12 power and 7 dispel without taking the silly Tzeentch chariot army... Mwoo ha ha. I wouldn't worry about it though because I suck as a player!:D

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 01:39
In that case, charge him! :) Its always worked for me!

vorac
02-01-2007, 04:49
I like the army especially the dragon because it shows some balls, i've run a 2k Vs army with a blooddragon lord on dragon in tournaments and it faired ok, the only think i would change would be to make 4 groups of direwolves which would cover the core choices, drop the banshee and batswarm and use the 150 points to buy some fell bats or Black knights to follow the dragon.But since the dragon moves so much more than the infantry they may not be able to march much.If it was me i'd drop all the infantry and go all cavalry and some spirit host and fell bats.

dodicula
02-01-2007, 05:05
The grave guard are too expensive to be taken as a line unit, lower it to 12 and take the cursed book or split the unit in 2!

Drop the dragon and sub it for a) more magic and b a wight lord. give the wight lord (not sure if it comes standard) that weapon that has a 5+ killing blow.

Move Fast Hit Low
02-01-2007, 05:50
vorac you are thinking too much like a true blood dragon with that idea, but i do like your thinking

scatterlaser
02-01-2007, 06:10
You might want to upgrade the Vampire Lord to a level 3. The extra spell and magic dice are very handy when you only have two mages. I'd also think about a Dispel Scroll for the Necromancer and possibly the War Banner on the Grave Guard - neither is very expensive and they can both be quite useful.

gorenut
02-01-2007, 06:28
I'd also recommend upgrading the Vampire Lord's level. I'd even drop the bat swarm and the champ upgrades for Dire Wolves. Bat Swarms are even more "useless" now that all swarms crumble. If you need something to help your Lord on Dragon, get Black Knights, Fell Bats, and Dire Wolves.

I really wouldn't take the Grave Guards either. Your army centralizes around your general and having your general just sitting around near Grave Guards make him a waste. I think your points would be better spent on more zombies/skeletons and maybe getting some black knights to help the charge of your lord.

Catferret
02-01-2007, 06:46
If the vampire can be upgraded then do it! Make him earn that Von Carstein Ring! Only the powerful ones get that.

Cromenon
02-01-2007, 11:33
more magic, less dragons, upgrade the magic level of the vampire, and Black Knights (they are one of the best quality/price cavalries in WHFB)

vampires are cool!
02-01-2007, 12:21
Nah, I'm with Vorac on this, the dragon shows balls. But up the lords level definatly.

eleveninches
02-01-2007, 12:54
drop the dragon and the bats. Give the lord some better wargear and maybe get another necromancer. re-organise your skellies and zombies. Think of what type of army you are wanting. VC armies are best (IMO) as summonning armies. If you want to just play undead without relying heavily on summoning, then go for TK instead

Weregerbil
02-01-2007, 14:07
I want to use a dragon and not play elves or chaos. Looking at the list the lord is Lv3.