PDA

View Full Version : Converting weapons/people for Necromunda.

EVIL INC
02-01-2007, 16:22
As there seems to be a lot of Necromunda threads here, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to converting for Necromunda.
Offhand, I would suggest talking to old timers who played back in the day. They used to sell packs of weapons on sprues that would work great. I know I have made good use of mine over the years. They also used to sell packs of metal weapons dedicated to Necromunda.
Then again, many of the weapons from 40k would work well. For example, the eldar swords on the plastic eldar close combat weapons sprues would work great especially on ecsher as they are thin and effete looking. Then again, if you can lay your hands on some of the old plastic ork plasma and melta guns, they are bulky and crude enough to have been scratch built in the underhive.
For gangers of course catachans can make great gangers but I have always liked the idea of using the Necromunda rules for a futuristic fantasy world populated with the fantasy races and having many of the races used as gangs. Would be a lot less expensive then buying the "official" metal models and much easier to convert if you use the plastic regiments.

Keravin
02-01-2007, 16:25
If anyone knows where you can get the Eldar CC sprues then speak up as they seem as rare as rocking horse droppings.

They still sell metal weapons for use in Necromunda according to the catalogues. I've used various of them to give some variety to my Drop Troop army.

ZomboCom
02-01-2007, 16:27
You may well find this thread interesting...

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14783&hl=necromunda

EVIL INC
02-01-2007, 16:28
I dont know, I had bought loads of them a long time ago. More recently (within the last 5 years) I ordered a bunch through my local shop. Just a matter of looking them up in the classic bits section. They might have since discontinued them but I think they are probobly still just listed in classica section.

Catferret
02-01-2007, 16:28
I'm liking the idea of a Necromunda conversion thread but it might be better in the M, P & T section. We could also include piccies of our gangs.

Wow, I'm also a Necro Old Timer. I need that on a T-shirt... I have so many random bits boxes full o' guns just waiting for models.

@Keravin

If you can still get the older boxes for the Guardian Shrieker Jetbike, they had the weapon sprue in. They certainly did about 3 years ago when I last bought one.

EVIL INC
16-02-2007, 17:55
A bit of necromancy here but better to do so then start a whole new thread on the same topic.
Well, I am putting together and painting my beastmen and so far beyond being really slow, I have done ok. Here is the rub though... Rather then use reguler shotguns or converting, I am using a "counts as" deal with a few weapons. Not sure what it's called a slugga or shoota but the assault rifle type guns of orks. The one with the drum feed I am using as a bulky drum fed shotgun and the belt fed one I am using as an autogun. They look really nice and fit in well with the theme of the beastmen. Likewise, for las guns, I am using the really really old las guns that came with the rogue trader imperial gaurd and squats. These older looking and primitive looking guns seem to do well. What do you guys think?
I am having trouble with my digital camera. When I photograph people it looks great, when I photograph models, they are fuzzy. When I get that fixed, I will start posting pics.

Catferret
16-02-2007, 21:25
Did you set the camera to macro? Does it have a sufficiently short focal length? Did you rest the camera on something solid to take the pic? How was the lighting? I sk these questions because I really want to see some good pics of your gang!

don_mondo
18-02-2007, 15:47
Just an FYI, the old metal weapon sprues for Necromunda are still available on the US Mail Order site. Just search the Necromunda section for weapon to get the rifle sprue or pistol to get the pistol/ccw sprue. They're $3 apiece.

EVIL INC
18-02-2007, 17:09
Did you set the camera to macro? Does it have a sufficiently short focal length? Did you rest the camera on something solid to take the pic? How was the lighting? I sk these questions because I really want to see some good pics of your gang!
Its a Vivitar ViviCam 5100 camera.
Not sure how to set the focus but I tried with/without flash, zoom up to max from a distance and reguler up close. Tried different lighting and backgrounds. Best I can get is really fuzzy with no flash. With flash, best I can get is fuzzy/glared.

I actually really like the look of the ork sluggas and feel thier primitive looks fit well with beastmen. Besides, I am poor and cannot afford to spend that on guns. Thats why I made the thread, for conversions and "counts as".

Edit: When I go into the menu , the options I get are
Capture- size, quality,scene, ev,white balence, iso, color,saturation, sharpness, date imprint.
I fiddled wit saturation and sharpnessgoing from medium to high with no change.
Setup-date/time, format, beeper, language, lcd brightness, power off, set to default.
I was advised to hit set to default. I did and no change.

Elfhater
19-02-2007, 12:33
You may well find this thread interesting...

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14783&hl=necromunda

Hmm, I like the two Cawdor conversions in that thread. Makes me want to go and buy a few bits...

Maybe I'll put my Pit Slave gang on the back burner for a while. ;)

Angelwing
19-02-2007, 14:43
Wow, I'm also a Necro Old Timer. I need that on a T-shirt...

you are if you have any of the 'house' tshirts from the release of necromunda. i still have my escher one. does this count?

and yes, i want to see pics of conversions!

Lord 0
19-02-2007, 15:58
*Sigh*

I once had a Delaque gang that about a third was converted Escher models that I had filed bald (leaving pony-tails and the like) and sculpted visors and trench-coats on them (It says in the background that only Goliath and Escher are sexist). I was particularly proud of the Heavy Stubber converted to a drum-fed grenade launcher and the dual boltpistol scummer converted to Delaque. Oh, and the lascannon converted to plasma-cannon.

Sadly, the entire warband was stolen and I have had to start again. On the plus-side I now have enough necro gangers to make a Mech. Infantry Imperial Guard army :D. All I have to do now is get around to re-converting the Escher third to be properly Delaque.

Catferret
19-02-2007, 18:41
Those sounded really nice Lord 0. Shame they got nicked. I would have liked to have seen them.

Lord 0
20-02-2007, 14:34
Well, I will be re-making them in the not-too-distant future. I will be sure to post pictures when I do.