PDA

View Full Version : The Great Maw

Muncher666
02-01-2007, 16:33
Hey kids, long time looker first time poster..

I was wondering if there is any more fluff on 'The Great Maw' than in the Ogre Kingdoms book. I'm considering making it a terrain piece for a friend's new OK army, and any more info would make up my mind on it. :)

Cheers,
Allan.

The Judge
02-01-2007, 16:37
A terrain piece? The thing is meant to be a large number of miles wide... I dunno if you can see one side from the other...

Anyway, pretty well all of the info is in the book I'm afraid. Even WD haven't got much for it.

Move Fast Hit Low
02-01-2007, 16:41
pretty sure the OK book has all the info there is, put you could head over to www.ogrestronghold.com and look over there

Muncher666
02-01-2007, 16:49
A terrain piece? The thing is meant to be a large number of miles wide... I dunno if you can see one side from the other...

Anyway, pretty well all of the info is in the book I'm afraid. Even WD haven't got much for it.

It's a pity, because it's just so interesting. I love hearing about people worshipping giant monsters. :)

As for the size of the thing, I know - I was intending on either making just the mouth part or a large segment of it that would stretch across the table.

Allan.

Move Fast Hit Low
02-01-2007, 17:29
you also have to keep in mind that it eats anything that comes close, so maybe instead of the great maw you could have a huge ogre village with lots of sacrifical pits

The Judge
02-01-2007, 19:14
The Ogre's do have miniature Great maw's as sacrifical pits. You could use a nice sized one on the board as one of those.

gukal
02-01-2007, 20:04
On the off chance you haven't seen these yet:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/ogrekingdoms/terrain/3/
http://uk.games-workshop.com/ogrekingdoms/terrain2/3/

These are most maw-like, but the other items are fun too. To me, one of the Ogre's best features of an army are the fun modeling opportunities.

- Gukal

Inquisitor Maul
02-01-2007, 23:08
Exactly what is the Great Maw? A gigantic Saarlac or just a huge crater?

Ivan Stupidor
02-01-2007, 23:32
Exactly what is the Great Maw? A gigantic Saarlac or just a huge crater?

It's the crater left by the comet that the Cathayans blasted the ancestral Ogre lands with, killing most of the Ogres and creating the Warpstone Deserts that are the last obstacle along the Silver (Silk?) Road. Supposedly, the comet-thing was so hungry, it ate its way through the world. (On the WD300 map, there's a dark spot in the ocean east of Lustria with the caption "No ships return from here". It's about where the comet would have emerged if it really did go straight through the world.) I'd imagine the Maw proper looks like a very big crater in the middle of a desolate wasteland with a massive hole in the bottom that extends deep into the earth.

Sandlemad
02-01-2007, 23:44
A huge bottomless pit the width of an inland sea, ringed with fangs the height of buildings, rippilling, convulsing muscle all the way down.
It doesn't have tentacles to grab people but has a massive effect on people's minds within miles upon miles, especially upon ogres. It's like a beacon, "Come and be eaten", willing them and anyone else to jump.
The ogres' wanderlust is a development of this siren call.

The ogres dig maw-pits wherever they settle, into which they through offerings of meat and such. These are also convenient for pit-fights.
The maw is far too big to use on the tabletop, except having part of it as a corner of the battlefield, maybe make each unit roll a d6 each turn, on a 6 they move towards it.
Maw-pits on the other hand vary in size from potholes to craters and make good scenery for any board with an ogre theme.

EDIT: Beaten to it. You win this round, Quick-Draw-Stupidor.:p

Paulus
03-01-2007, 01:44
Damn! I was really hoping it was something like The Saarlac :cries: (& yes I am being serious)

Muncher666
03-01-2007, 01:45
The maw is far too big to use on the tabletop, except having part of it as a corner of the battlefield, maybe make each unit roll a d6 each turn, on a 6 they move towards it.
Maw-pits on the other hand vary in size from potholes to craters and make good scenery for any board with an ogre theme.

Yep, I was kinda hoping for something like this - however without enough fluff I am only taking a guess at the size.. I would really like some fluff written from another point of view, like Imperial Scholars or somesuch thing, sorta like they did with the Chaos books.

Allan.

Move Fast Hit Low
03-01-2007, 02:06
most human travellers into the ogre kingdom are eaten or made slaves of but there is the exception of that one in the book, dont know his name and the OK book is in the living room which is 20 ft away

Toppan
03-01-2007, 03:52
oh my! 20 feet?

come now, you wouldnt keep a sigmarite from his holy book, would you?