PDA

View Full Version : Cave Squig q's

Muncher666
02-01-2007, 16:34
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could have some clarification on one thing - does riding a Great Cave Squig make someone immune to Psychology? As all Squig Hoppers already are.

And while we're at it - do they give the mountee a save?

Cheers,
Allan.

Festus
02-01-2007, 16:41
Hi

I was wondering if I could have some clarification on one thing - does riding a Great Cave Squig make someone immune to Psychology? As all Squig Hoppers already are.No, as this rule is not given as one of the Special Rules of the Squig's

And while we're at it - do they give the mountee a save?
No, because they are a monster and as such shots against them are randomized.
They are not cavalry.

I hope that helps.

Festus

Muncher666
02-01-2007, 16:47
Monster because of the high wounds, I take it?

A.

Festus
02-01-2007, 16:50
Hi

Monster because of the high wounds, I take it?
Yes, a mount of more than 1W in its profile is automatically a monster.

cf. BRB, p.7, p.59

Festus

Dranthar
02-01-2007, 17:11
Right, so by the rules the rider does not gget the immune to psych abilitu of his giant cave squig...

So what if the rider takes guzzlas battle brew and rolls a 1-2 at the beginning of the game, making him stupid?

Technically if he fails the stupidity test he moves forward at half movement, but the giant cave squig specifies that it always moves 3D6 inches in the compulsory movement phase. So what happens? Does one take priority over the other and why so?

Festus
02-01-2007, 17:15
Hi

Right, so by the rules the rider does not gget the immune to psych abilitu of his giant cave squig...
If the Squig had Immune to Psy in its special rules at all, the rider would benefit of it.
But it isn't the case, at least not in my Orc&Gobbo Army Book. read p.50 of it and tell me if it is ItP in yours...

Festus

edit: To the interaction between the Squig's move and the Stupid move: Good question! I'd say that the Squig will still move its own value regardless... as you cannot know what the move is

Kotobuki
02-01-2007, 19:32
If the movement of a Squig is 3D6, and a stupid units moves at 1/2 speed, then wouldn't a stupid cave squig move forward at 3D6/2? In this way, all rules can be applied evenly.

Muncher666
03-01-2007, 01:24
But it's a compulsory move.. maybe a dice roll jobbie?

a.

alextroy
03-01-2007, 01:25
Actually, the Giant Cave Squig is Immune to Psychology according to the detailed rules on page 26 for Night Goblin Squig Hoppers in the Bestiary. They missed that rule in the description in the Army List. Therefore, the rider is Immune to Psychology.

GW needs to do something about the editing in these books.

Muncher666
03-01-2007, 01:46
See, that's what got me started on this. However, it's not listed in the back of the book reference card or in the army list.

Allan.

Festus
03-01-2007, 09:10
Hi

Actually, the Giant Cave Squig is Immune to Psychology according to the detailed rules on page 26 for Night Goblin Squig Hoppers in the Bestiary. They missed that rule in the description in the Army List. Therefore, the rider is Immune to Psychology.
Nope, negative: A NightGoblin Squig Hopper is immune to Psy, but this is the unit of SquigHoppaz. They have the Special rule in their Bestiary and in theri Profile.

A NG Hero is not ItP, and neither is a Giant Squig. As a Giant Squig has no single Bestiary Entry (just like the Gigantula / the Monster Spider), so in both cases we can only go by what little Information we have: There is no ItP in its Profile, as can be seen on p.50 of the O&G Army Book.

Festus

Dranthar
03-01-2007, 10:01
As Festus said, the Giant Cave Squig is not immune to psychology. The entry on p26 is what threw me off too.

From memory, the 3d6 movement, like the stupid move, is in the compulsory movement phase. From memory however, the squig movement rule uses much stronger language than the stupid rule (ie. something along the lines of "must always move 3d6 in the compulsory movement phase"

Personally I'm leaning towards the squig movement taking priority over stupidity (meaning that a boss on a cave squig is effectively immune to the risks of stupidity), but that may me partially wishful thinking on my behalf.

The alternative is to divide the squigs movement in half, but there is no specific rule that would imply you'd do this, making it a houserule instead.

I suppose you could force the boss to go straight ahead if he fails the stupidity test. In terms of background (I know, it's always been a poor reason to justify rules) this kinda makes sense, since it's always the squig moving as far and fast as it wants, yet the goblin on top supposedly chooses the direction.

I just had a totally random thought again - if the goblin has guzzlas battle brew and gets frenzy, does that mean the squig he's riding gets frenzy too?

Festus
03-01-2007, 10:26
Hi

I just had a totally random thought again - if the goblin has guzzlas battle brew and gets frenzy, does that mean the squig he's riding gets frenzy too?
Yes, as in 7th Frenzy affects both rider and mount if just one part is Frenzied.

Festus

Muncher666
03-01-2007, 11:16
Ouch, thanks for the frenzy tip. :)