PDA

View Full Version : Refused Challenges

BloodiedSword
02-01-2007, 18:58
Now, I was musing away at nothing in particular and something struck me (a fist, in case you were wondering).

The situation is: you have a combat between unit A with a frontage of 5, and unit B with a frontage of 6 (both same base size). Neither unit has a champion, and both units have an attached hero.

For some bizarre reason, both units have put their hero right on one side of the front rank, so the front rank of the combat is

-H A A A A
H B B B B B

Hero B challenges Hero A, who heroically declines and goes to hide at the back of the unit. My understanding is that Hero A is not replaced by a RnF trooper but instead remains empty - meaning that Hero B is now not in base contact with an enemy and cannot fight?

Now I know I've made a fair few assumptions in this so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is not the case. Have I gone wrong somewhere, and if so, where?

Festus
02-01-2007, 19:05
Hi

Your mistake is not seeing that a trooper steps up to fill the gap.

BRB, p.77, left column.

Festus

Palatine Katinka
02-01-2007, 19:05
The Hero cannot refuse this challenge as there is no position in the unit that takes him out of base contact with the enemy. If there was a second rank he could move back and be replaced by a normal trooper.

Hero B doesn't have to challenge though, there is no one else to attack and if he was in base contact with the rest of the unit he would still have the choice of who to hit.

If they were on opposite sides of the fight he would have to challenge to attack Hero A and Hero A still wouldn't be able to refuse.

Festus
02-01-2007, 19:09
Hi

I took it that it was a combat between two larger units, just showing the front ranks.

Otherwies (ie. just one rank) Palatine Katinka is right of course: A hero cannot refuse a challenge if there is no unengaged position (p. as above, same paragraph).

Festus