PDA

View Full Version : Memorised a codex?

redbaron998
02-01-2007, 19:00
Has anyone else out there memorized a / some codexs? So far I have Memorized the DH, SM, BT, New Eldar, IG and most of Chaos. I am a big fan of knowing thy enemy. And its always fun to correct you opponent.

angry_elves
02-01-2007, 19:04
ive memorised the guard codex theres this guy who likes to do it at our gw store u ask him a question he Knows the answer

Son-Of-Sparda
02-01-2007, 19:09
Alas, no- I was forever looking in the codex- it's only until recently that I've memorised what I need to know. Now they've gone and released a new codex! - I'm gonna have to learn it all again... :(

Tom
02-01-2007, 19:11
Marines, both loyalist and Chaos. Probvided I don't get too adventurous.

Kjell
02-01-2007, 19:13
I have a pretty good idea of what the CSM and LatD lists can and can't do. Stats, rules, wargear, points cost... It's not that hard when you've read through them a lot, though. Eventually it'll stick.

Kamin_Majere
02-01-2007, 19:24
I memorize most of the "main" information out of all of the codex. Weapons strength/range/AP, the model stats, Vehicle armors and stats, and the big universal rules they have.

I dont memorize all the nit pick rules though as it takes to much room in my brain i find...

With multiple editions of the multiple games i play i have to keep information accessable for quick referance only, if its something specific i will look it up. I coulndt imagine having to memorize all the codex, plus D&D/AD&D/3.0/3.5 books, plus warmachine (all), plus comprenhsive M: tG rules, plus things i actually need to know for my job.

It gets into the 100's of books level at that point and i just cant imagine doing it... i wasnt gifted with that level of mental ability

Shrike30
02-01-2007, 19:34
My brain holds onto things like rules pretty easily, so while I wouldn't say I've "memorized" any particular codex, it's pretty often that I'm playing with someone and say "uh, that's not how that works" for something in his army. The basic workings and wargear of the more mainstream armies are things I could give a decent synopsis of off the top of my head.

The_Outsider
02-01-2007, 19:55
I've played marines long enough to know the codex back to front pretty well.

I've memorised the necron codex pretty well also (not that its that hard).

Next on the list is.....DE! *sigh*

I also have a decent knowledge of most of the other codexes (i.e I can spot something glaringly wrong).

god octo
02-01-2007, 19:58
ive basically memorised points cost and options for my WH army, as i redid the list so many times it all became 2nd nature.

thanoson
02-01-2007, 20:09
All but Tau, Necrons and witch hunters. I should say I know most of the codex' but, not every rule. But I can hold my own ruleswise.

Morgrad
02-01-2007, 20:09
I had the 2nd ed. Space Wolves codex memorized for a couple of years...... and I now have a very good handle on the Tyranid one.

I can't store points costs for everything in my 'ead yet, but eventually I probably will.

Wow. What a nerd I am. :D

Karhedron
02-01-2007, 22:49
I find that I tend to retain stats and points pretty well. This is handy as I can usually create army lists on the go whenever I have a cool idea. I only need to check the codex when it is finished to make sure I have got it right.

The Judge
02-01-2007, 22:52
I do for all the ones I play and play against regularly.

I find a lot of cheating... annoying.

Overlord Krycis
02-01-2007, 22:55
Chaos, Necrons, Tau (both new and old), Tyranids, Daemonhunters, Space Marines...and most of the Warhammer, 40K and Epic Armaggedon rule books...
Along with most of the Warhammer armies books.

Wow...no wonder I can't remember my own house number...::p :D

Marshal2Crusaders
02-01-2007, 23:32
i memorized BT so tht i can build army lists in class and no one has any idea what the hell im doing. its a good study tool actually. if you start writing everything down and rewriting it u memorize it.

Baneboss
03-01-2007, 00:18
I have memorised almost entire IG codex. That means everything i use.

mistformsquirrel
03-01-2007, 00:33
Daemonhunters, Witchunters and Imperial Guard I have just about down pat. I also have Marines (loyal) and Tau down relatively well. >.>

Lastie
03-01-2007, 00:37
While my memory's far from perfect, I own and am confident in pretty much most of both 40K and WFB. I've long since comitted the Necron Codex to memory (with the exception of the C'tan, whose special abilities I still get caught up on) despite not having played them for several years now (can't get the damn thing out of my head!). I'm almost at the stage of being able to write any kind of Chaos list without referencing the Codex once for points values. Handy for writing up quick lists. :p

Curufew
03-01-2007, 02:17
I've memorised the Tau codex

BattleSarge
03-01-2007, 03:31
I can't get the points memorized, but I can get the special rules pretty close.

Nabeshin1106
03-01-2007, 04:49
I pretty much know the Tau codex back to front. Rules and points. I do make mistakes now and again, but not very often.

I have the Tyranid codex down pretty well, but some points costs still mix me up.

I know most of the other pretty well, but not cover to cover.

Sergeant Tanthius
03-01-2007, 04:58
I've memorised all the stats and special rules in nearly every codex. I know some point costs and the majority of the Marine Codex, except tanks which I never use.

Boy am I a nerd...:chrome:

Scythe
03-01-2007, 10:36
I don't really actively read to remember, but still I know most stat lines, weapon profiles, special rules and point costs of all armies in the game. It is only for the specialized wargear and rules that I have to grab a codex.

For my own armies (Guard, Nids and Crons) I can write army lists without a codex...:D