PDA

View Full Version : So...where are they?

Kiro
12-07-2005, 20:57
I heard a little while ago that GW were doing a "Chosen of Ahriman". No one has said on anything more on this...so what happened to them :confused:

Sgt John Keel
12-07-2005, 21:03
I heard a little while ago that GW were doing a "Chosen of Ahriman". No one has said on anything more on this...so what happened to them :confused:

Next WD.

/Adrian

Kiro
12-07-2005, 21:06
Can I get a linky? What does it say about them?

Alpharius
12-07-2005, 21:07
Prepare to be excited (cool new rules), and then disappointed (limited to use in this specific campaign ONLY)...

mostholycerebus
12-07-2005, 22:05
I've had the WD for a couple of weeks now. They are basically Chaos Sorcerer Lt. statlines. You can take up to 3 in a single HQ slot, and they get Veil of Darkness included for +15 points more. As they are independent characters, they can only transport rubrics, they are limited to campaign only, and they still require opponents permission, I don't expect to get much mileage out of them. It was an interesting idea anyway.

The article is literally a quarter of a page, with a large pic beneath it showing the studio Thousand Sons in a 'battle scene' that is impossble in the current rules system.

Great Harlequin
12-07-2005, 22:07
Yes, they will add some nastiness to a Thousand Sons army once more. The most interesting rule for them is "The Key" which is effectivley a veil of darkness used in a Necron army. I beleive they can also be fielded in three's.

Kiro
12-07-2005, 22:31
So they're basically teleporting sorcerers limited to only 1 campaign? :wtf: :rolleyes:
What's the point?

taintedarchon
12-07-2005, 23:33
For the developers of the campaign, it was a nifty idea for the campaign. But there's no reason you can't ask your gaming buddies to try the rules out.

mostholycerebus
13-07-2005, 00:40
So they're basically teleporting sorcerers limited to only 1 campaign? :wtf: :rolleyes:
What's the point?

So when Thousand Sons players whine that their army sucks, GW can say "we threw you a bone." Also, when everyone else whines that the Chosen of Ahriman make Thousand Sons better, GW can say "It's only for this campaign and opponent permission only." GW has basically washed their hands of the whole Thousand Son list.

Darkfang74
13-07-2005, 06:25
I feel your pain

VIVA LA SQUATS!!!!

Thousand Sons are next

Inquis. Jaeger
13-07-2005, 10:44
Do we see any new models?

The pestilent 1
13-07-2005, 16:59
so.
the thousand sons, a highly sorcerous army.
get sorcerers. :eyebrows:
that have the ability to use what is basicly Veil of darkness.
in an army that basicly sucks in closecombat, with only a couple exceptions. :rolleyes:
that is limited to the campaign, and requires opponents conscent. :wtf:

what are games workshop on anyway?

Inquis. Jaeger
13-07-2005, 17:06
Cough Medicine.

'Stan! We're going to find a frog!'

Don't worry if you don't get it. Just go and watch Season 8 of South Park

The pestilent 1
13-07-2005, 17:18
ive not seen the episode, but i can imagine given that its south park ;)

and they still restricted it!
mostholycerebus was right, GW have washed their hands of the sons.
stupid Tzeentch worshipers that stole the egyptian theme giving the little anklebiters fodder against my army, they may be.
but rubbish concept they werent, about the only chaos army with a truly valid reason for their fall!

charlie_c67
14-07-2005, 11:44
Maybe it's a way of playtesting something for the 4th ed chaos codexes. No-one knows when they'll be re-done but this could be something in advance. Also I hardly think most player are gonna kick up if you ask to use these rules.

x-esiv-4c
14-07-2005, 13:03
Yeah, the concept was good but GW threw a massive disclaimer on it saying: "Campaign use only" and in doing so gave cheese-mongers the ability to stunt your list.

ArtificerArmour
14-07-2005, 14:05
are they saying they all die after the campaign?

cant they just say special characters yadada?

Kiro
14-07-2005, 14:34
Why? WHY!?!
A pity, such a pity that GW have turned their backs on the Thousand Sons. I guess now we can expect even more fluff about the Death Guard and the World Eaters :rolleyes:

Maxis Lithium
14-07-2005, 16:33
I have read the rules, and the acompanying rules for the Imperial Guard High Command.

Regarding the thousand sones, it is unfortunate. I like the rules given, and the Veil of darkness, as it's writen in this book is not about getting IN to Close Combat, but getting OUT of it. keeps the fighty world eaters or choppy orks from chewing you to death with sharp sticks.

I wouldn't be supprised if we saw down the line, a Chapter Aproved collection book like we have seen in the past, but which will make the Chosen a full and functional unit. It's half a test to see hoe the unit fairs, and half a PLOY to get people to play a campaign that they don't have to support (Unlike Eye of Terror or Storm of Chaos which takes a commitment of resources, energy and manpower.)

As for the IG offering... Meh. It's a command squad mixed with an inquisitor's retinue. Given the fact that tey took away my presous heavy weapons, and made the unit a "2nd" HQ choice only, I doubt we will see IT any time soon in lagit circles.

It was supposed to be a couple of toys to convince people to play a campaign. Unfortunatly, the Thousand Sons need more then just toys, they need a hard and fast upgrade.

x-esiv-4c
14-07-2005, 17:34
Thousand sons have so much potential but due to the "recent" rules revision they have lost a lot. Ace models, just need a rules set that packs a punch.

Kiro
14-07-2005, 18:22
Thousand sons have so much potential but due to the "recent" rules revision they have lost a lot. Ace models, just need a rules set that packs a punch.

...and perhaps some new character models, while we're at it! :D

doktorziplok
14-07-2005, 20:41
the chosen are soooo broken. and i'm talking tolarian academy broken. we played a 2 vs 2 game (1100 points each) last weekend. me with 1000 sons and my friend with biel tan against necrons and dark eldar. my army consisted of 2 units of 9 sons (free champ, wind of chaos, 5x thralls), 3 chosen of ahriman (wind of chaos, 5x thralls) and 9 flamers.

the opposition gets the first turn. i lost 1 son. i "keyed" around a bit, unleashed 7 winds of chaos (3 on 10 necrons w/ lord, 4 on 10 necrons w/ deciever). total of 11 dead necrons and 2 wounds on the deciever. turn two, i lost another 2-3 sons and my flamers were summoned off the board edge (boohoo :( ). a little more keying and 7 winds later, only 1 wound left on the deciever and 3 necrons with a lord left. turn three, 2 sons died. another key and 7 winds later, necrons were gone as were a squad of de.

massive victory. the key of the chosen is wicked broken. the thousand sons had a huge drawback in "slow and purposeful," the key takes that away and reverses it 10 fold.

LimeLord
14-07-2005, 20:45
Go TS! I don't play them but a close friend of mine does and i also believe they are in need of an upgrade, choson is a good idea, and maybe a shiney new psychic ability for vehicles or drednoughts or something.

charlie_c67
15-07-2005, 16:36
Hmmm, is it me or is 1k Sons becoming the new eldar.

Kiro
15-07-2005, 17:13
Hmmm, is it me or is 1k Sons becoming the new eldar.

In what way? Please don't mention psychic powers....

Xander-K
15-07-2005, 17:27
heheh Thousand Sons might as well be called Chaos Necrons, both have expensive basic troops that are fairly resiliant with bland weaponry and now the 'Sons just got a Veil woop woop

Inquis. Jaeger
18-07-2005, 09:31
I'll ask again. Will we see new models? Because if we do, I'd say these would be the most lasting element out of anything they do, seeing as these rules will be opponent's permission for a specific campaign

highmarshaldave
18-07-2005, 09:40
Yep, if the models aren't too "special", then its possible that they can be used as aspiring champions or lieutenants withouttoo much hoo ha. And that means. . . variety in the models.

Dave out.

Karhedron
18-07-2005, 10:27
the chosen are soooo broken. and i'm talking tolarian academy broken. we played a 2 vs 2 game (1100 points each) last weekend. me with 1000 sons and my friend with biel tan against necrons and dark eldar.
I have found that 2-on-2 games involving Necrons almost always result in the Necron side losing badly. This is because both of the opposing teams have the chance to focus a lot of firepower on the Necrons quickly. This causes the Necrons to phase out and allow thewm to concentrate on the other army.

The way the WBB and Phase out rules are structured put Necrons at a disadvantage in team games. I am not saying the the 1K Sons do not get a big boost from the Key. I am just observing that team games against Necrons are not an ideal place to test how much more effective they are.

charlie_c67
18-07-2005, 12:46
In what way? Please don't mention psychic powers....
Well on Portent, before the crash, people used to constantly harp on about how broken Eldar were, how bad a certain weapon was and how GW didn't "love" the Eldar anymore. It got to a point where almost every thread got hijacked by it until the mods put there foot down. Now while the 1k sons issue hasn't got that bad I am starting to see a lot of similarities...

sulla
20-07-2005, 01:31
Well on Portent, before the crash, people used to constantly harp on about how broken Eldar were, how bad a certain weapon was and how GW didn't "love" the Eldar anymore. It got to a point where almost every thread got hijacked by it until the mods put there foot down. Now while the 1k sons issue hasn't got that bad I am starting to see a lot of similarities...

Maybe it's just the same whiners with a different army?

For that matter, maybe it's just the same post cut and paste with a different army name? I mean, all these jokers ever do is complain that 'GW screwed us again'... :rolleyes: