PDA

View Full Version : 40k in fantasy?

inq.serge
03-01-2007, 15:40
I was looking today thru my lizzie army book, as always when bored.
And what did I find?
One of their anicent magic relics is a, Frostblade!
How did a SW weapon end up in the lizzie armybook? Even its background is similar to the frostblade, as is the rules.

Another Frostblade? Seems like the Space Wolves had an other yardsale.

But hey, High Elves have power armour as one of their magic items.
I also heard that chaos have a chain axe as a magic item.(haven't found which)

Have you noticed other 40k items in fantasy (Mostly as magic items)? If so, which?

Weregerbil
03-01-2007, 16:05
You might be meaning the Rending Blade which does d3 or d6 wounds can't remeber which.

Griefbringer
03-01-2007, 16:10
How did a SW weapon end up in the lizzie armybook?

Ahem, it is the other way around - the Space Puppies must have borrowed it from the Warhammer world. Frostblade has been a venerable part of the WHFB arsenal at least since the 3rd edition days (late 80's).

Kotobuki
03-01-2007, 16:34
Power Swords, Power Fists, and Power Armor have all made thier way into the WHFantasy world. There are others as well, I believe.

mattjgilbert
03-01-2007, 16:42
The old Realm of Chaos books mixed things up a bit with mutations/gifts.

The original Warhammer Seige book had rules for 40K vs Fantasy armies - you know; Marines land on backwater planet; local Goblin population start lobbing rocks (and each other) at them in retaliation.

And good fun was had by all :D

Kjell
03-01-2007, 16:56
Actually, those items are to be considered Easter eggs. They're in-jokes. The items are what the descriptions say they are (enchanted, etc) but they are very clearly inspired by more or less common 40K wargear. The rules designers decided they'd have a bit of fun, is all.

Corrupt
03-01-2007, 17:10
The Dark Elf power Fist (Str 8, Ignores Saves, Strike at init 1)

Anyone noticed the discrepency between fantasy and melee?

Suppose 10 Marines Assault 25 Guardsmen (assume equal points-tis bout 5pts in favour of guards) They will probs win in 40k as Guardsmen can't hurt them very well. No strike backs etc. Now rank them up.
Marines have about 4 Kills 1 rank. Guardsmen have 0 Kills, 3 Ranks, outnumber. Guardsmen win. 40k is much more deadly troop based than resolution based. Its about who you kill and how well rather than how well your troops do. Rlly sucks when marines assault you and the only solution is to run away with everything else to battlecannon them when they kill the squad

Pokpoko
03-01-2007, 17:18
sure,sure...we all know that the 40k and WHB are separated...by the EOT:D

Mephistofeles
03-01-2007, 17:22
Well, there is a scanner and a flamer from Dark Shadows too, in addition to the power fist, power armour and all manner of nastiness already mentioned.

They...should....not....exist!

Just the designers having a little bit of fun? BURN THE HERETICS!

PURGE...MAIM...KILL!!

No 40k in my fantasy, gah!

03-01-2007, 17:51
albion itema are all based on 40k things

but then again you try to make unique items for 2 game systems and 50ish armies

Kjell
03-01-2007, 17:57
Well, there is a scanner and a flamer from Dark Shadows too, in addition to the power fist, power armour and all manner of nastiness already mentioned.

They...should....not....exist!

Just the designers having a little bit of fun? BURN THE HERETICS!

PURGE...MAIM...KILL!!

No 40k in my fantasy, gah!

Actually, it's a box that whispers secrets to its owner, an enchanted pistol (I think it says "firearm") that shoots flame, a heavy gauntlet that can crush rock and a suit of heavy armour that grants additional strength to its wearer... :D Again, they're magical items and merely inspired by 40K wargear. They were included as a nod to Ye Olden Days.

Take them literally. :p

Mephistofeles
03-01-2007, 19:15
Oh, I'm so going to look up the exact wording now, it's so much worse then that! :P

Hobgoblyn
03-01-2007, 19:18
I once played Space Marines vs. Dwarves.
We ruled that all fantasy units automatically gained skirmish and armor penalties applied and everyone moved at 6" regardless of normal speed. (M5-6 people could have been given FoF, but there didn't seem to be a fair way to give Dwarves a movement penalty).

The game ended up being quite close, I did lose which was very much due to his heavy weapon (I forget what it was). It was still probably the most fun and strangely felt the most balanced game of WarHammer I've ever played though.

Mephistofeles
03-01-2007, 19:35
The old rules said that the fantasy models got no armour save and that the 40k ones never got theirs worsened or something like that, and it also said that there should be twice the points of fantasy versus 40k...strange rules, wonder if it worked, anybody who tried that?

Chiron
03-01-2007, 20:29
I once had a game like that, I think I just used the 40k 2nd edition rules and that fantasy models could skirmish if they needed (who needs skirmish when you've got a Lance formation? ;))

Palatine Katinka
03-01-2007, 20:46
I once considered a Chaos army based on the idea that 40k and Fantasy are linked. Marines as Warriors, Bikers as Knights, clapped out Landspeeders pulled by bikes as Chariots, Librarian/CSM Sorcerer as Tzeentch Exalted Champion. Never got any further than gathering some Landspeeders and Chaos bikes into a box though...

Mephistofeles
03-01-2007, 21:19
I once considered a Chaos army based on the idea that 40k and Fantasy are linked. Marines as Warriors, Bikers as Knights, clapped out Landspeeders pulled by bikes as Chariots, Librarian/CSM Sorcerer as Tzeentch Exalted Champion. Never got any further than gathering some Landspeeders and Chaos bikes into a box though...

I would have slapped you if I even as much as heard a rumour about that army...

Palatine Katinka
03-01-2007, 22:27
Seems a bit harsh...
Oh well each to their own. I'll just have to hope your arms can't reach that far! :p

Chaos Warriors are huge though, and considerably tougher/stronger than a normal man. The Chaos Gods scattered The Fallen (Dark Angels) throughout time and space. Always thought the time bit would make it awfully problematic for them to be found...
Anyway...
The models would be representing a normal Hordes of Chaos army, I'm not considering giving them all bolters or anything! They wouldn't be able to get the ammo! Just swords and/or shields.

mightygnoblar
03-01-2007, 23:55
that would be a fun army to see, just the sheer look on your opponents face when you put your bikers down would be enough to make it worthwhile

Weregerbil
04-01-2007, 00:02
Bad drunkie bad! no bikes for you higgins!

Palatine Katinka
04-01-2007, 00:03
Thanks, I was thinking Mark of Khorne and a Chaplain-esque Exalted Champion for the bikers. The Lord would have to be Undivided for the Librarian bloke to be Tzeentchi though.

Weregerbil
04-01-2007, 00:09
Quite alright but stop the madness!

pox
04-01-2007, 00:50
wow, and no one has brought out the old argument. there are 2 primarchs un- accounted for, there records were purged from imperial memory, even chaos has no clue who or what they were. soooooo.... sigmar is a primarch, and the slann screwed everything up for everyone everywhere.

Atzcapotzalco
04-01-2007, 10:03
Myself, I've always thought that the "staff of lost light" and the "Blade of realities" cast severe doubt on the benevolence of the old ones.

Chicago Slim
04-01-2007, 12:21
I've actually considered going the other way, and doing a 40K Chaos Marines chapter based on fantasy models: Chaos Knights on deamon steeds as bikers, 5th ed Chaos Warriors (IMO the best chaos models GW has done) with bolters and hand weapons, and maybe even some wild conversions using beastmen as Possessed.

Might be possible to do something with fantasy figures (especially Empire handgunners) for Imperial Guard, too...

Dr Death
04-01-2007, 14:03
Though this has really nothing to do with the original question i think the cross-over area is quite cool. While i'd hate for the two universes to be joint at the hip officially i do like the oppertunity for the kind of wild speculation and conjecture (not to mention nods and winks such as the albion magic items). In that sense i intensly dissagree with Mephistofeles, severing the link would just be dull:).

I've actually half a mind to conversions of the various albion magic items making them look very arcane and clunky but still destinctly reminscent of the 40k items they are based on.

Dr Death

Lestat
04-01-2007, 16:14
I do actually vagually remember some of these 40K vs fantasy battle games, from when I had just started in the hobby.
It would be 3rd Ed, against rouge trader rules wise.
Most of it is hazy but a few things I remember are.

A marine army being almost completely wiped out, by one goblin shaman casting vorpal hurricane of chaos (think of a vortex grenade in old 40k, now think of a spell which let you cast D6+1 off them at your own feet, then choose which direction they moved).
Empire infantry unit surviving unhurt from a hail of marine bolters because they had placed themselves in a shield wall formation.
A high elf army pretty much getting completely killed by a few guardsmen with missile launchers using virus missiles.
A terminator squad feeling off the board because a dragon landed near them. The same dragon then killing a dreadnaut with his 'dragonbolt' breath attack. (Not that surprising when you realise that 'dragonbolt' breath caused D6 S=10 auto hits, with no save of any kind allowed, at whatever it was shot at).
And my personal favorite, the same guardsman general from before, having an argument with his next enemy, about weather or not virus missiles would be able to effect undead or not.

Actually thinking about this is bringing back some good memories I had of 3rd.

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2007, 17:11
A friend of mine created a chariot using a Rhino being pulled by Chaos steeds. Was a quite intreasting idea, bloody git with his RoC books.