PDA

View Full Version : Auto vs Laz

hunter5021
03-01-2007, 17:55
Ok i'm a necromunda player and ive run across this proublem more times then i can count when i'm bilding my gang.......auto gun/pistol or laz gun/pistol Please can anyone give me a real answer witch is better!

Caanaan
03-01-2007, 17:57
In my opinion, an autopistol is a better choice than a laspistol because it is more accurate at long range. I'll accept a worse ammo roll to hit when I need to hit in this case.

Lasguns are better than autoguns--the have the same strength and a better ammo roll.

Catferret
03-01-2007, 17:57
Rules wise Lasguns are better than Autoguns. Autopistols just win out over Laspistols but only for the accuracy.

The thing is, you should use whichever you think looks cooler! Like real gangs, Necromundans all have individual tastes so you should see a mixture of weapons in a gang.

Caanaan
03-01-2007, 17:59
The thing is, you should use whichever you think looks cooler! Like real gangs, Necromundans all have individual tastes so you should see a mixture of weapons in a gang.

Exactly! Necromunda is alot more about having a good time, seeing your gang progress, and making up a narrative about it than just winning or playing most competitively.

Lord Humongous
04-01-2007, 03:41
Autopistols both ways for me. I like the low-tech, loud bang approach. Autopistols are more accurate, autoguns cheaper, and running out of ammo is not a concern in the gangs I play; I don't let myself get bogged exchanging pot shots.

Darkhorse
04-01-2007, 14:48
For a Juve autopistol everytime they need everychance they can to hit.
A ganger, leader or scummer might be given a laspistol because they're bettershots.
Lasguns are good for starting gangs and Ratskins because they have 2+ ammo roll.
Later a gang might get the Armourer skill (Techno) this adds +1 to the ammo rolls and makes it worth buying autoguns saving you valuable creds.

chrome_ghoul
14-01-2007, 16:09
A laspistol will almost never let you down, so it is in my opinion the best choice of sidearm for gangers and leaders. Go for autopistols for juves but give them lasguns when they become gangers or a sword to go with the autopistol if you prefer cc. If you are attacking in one of the "raid" scenarios, don't forget that autopistols can be silenced, but silencers are hard to find.

Catferret
15-01-2007, 21:13
Now here is a related question. Autocannons and Lascannons. Has anybody used them? I don't think I'd bother with a Lascannon but an Autocannon looks like it has potential (I like Sustained Fire). 300 Creds though. Worth it?

Discuss!

Scanno
15-01-2007, 22:19
A guy in my starting campaign included a bloody lascannon in his starting roster! We didn't talk him out of it so we can see the look on the Spyrer player's face in their first game :D Not even the Patriarch'd survive a hit from one.
On the las/autogun debate, I prefer lasguns. While having M16s is cool, it's something I love about the 40k universe that the lasgun is the most common weapon, and they look really good. The armour piercing and ammo roll improvements are well worth the five creds.
Awaiting my first real game, I'll stay out of the pistols debate, but if you look at my thread you'll see that I've 3 juves with laspistols (because I love the old triangular fronted models for them), and only two solid shot weapons between my 11 lovely ladies.

Darkhorse
16-01-2007, 01:00
Now here is a related question. Autocannons and Lascannons. Has anybody used them? I don't think I'd bother with a Lascannon but an Autocannon looks like it has potential (I like Sustained Fire). 300 Creds though. Worth it?

Discuss!
Back in '95 / '96 when I firstgot my delaques the heavy with a lascannon did appear briefly but was only used in one game. I converted the weapon to an autocannon which it remained through to '98. Very good at taking guys out of action, but ultimately still overpowered and played second fiddle to my mate's Escher Heavy Plasmagun which is why in the new campaign I swapped it for a heavy plasmagun I ripped off a Van Saar. Bend the pipe at the back to meet the Delaque Lascannon powerpack and extend the left arm with green stuff to match the left hand on the gun.

Catferret
16-01-2007, 08:53
I don't rate Heavy Plasma Guns at all. With the FAQ on Wounding Hits, they can only get 5xp per hit no matter how many models are under the template and only if you also hit the intended target. At least with the Autocannon you have a small amount of Sustained Fire which you can claim xp for up to 3 Wounding Hits per turn.

Elfhater
16-01-2007, 10:13
On the Auto/Las issue, I pretty much have to agree with the majority that Lasguns and Autopistols are the best ruleswise.

Not that their relative strength is the only factor in deciding what weapons to choose. There's House and gang background, what you like the look of and even what models you have available! ;)

Anyway, I prefer Shotguns! :D

Bubble Ghost
16-01-2007, 10:15
One weakness of Necromunda is that the equipment values are just multiplied up points values from 2nd ed 40K, which don’t take into account their ammo roll, their tactical usefulness in a Necromunda rather than a 40K situation, or the background. What I'm trying to say there is that there's no point to autocannons. The only heavy weapons you need are heavy stubbers (or heavy bolters if you’re feeling flash), and missile launchers. Anything else is bling. Although, as long as you know it's bling, why not?:D Also, possibly the most anticlimactic session of a GW game you will ever play is when someone brings a lascannon on a Raid mission. "The attacker has first turn, right?" "Yes." "I'm shooting the tunnel entrance." ZZZZZZZZZZAPBOOOOOOM!!! *crash, smoking ruins* "That was fun."

And yes, shotguns absolutely rock the house.

Catferret
16-01-2007, 22:44
Yeah! Shotguns are fantastic. Reliable and flexible with all the different ammo types. Combine those points with the Knockback ability and they are the most Godlike weapon in the game!

talos935
19-01-2007, 00:49
Lasguns and Autopistols credits wise
Autocannon over lascannon, as it will drop all, but the hardist of fighters with carapace and most destroyable objectives, with stained fire. Top it off by being 100 credits cheaper than the lascannon
Credit aside I like wepons that go dakka, dakka, dakka *grins*

Kedlav
19-01-2007, 08:26
Lasguns and Autopistols credits wise
Autocannon over lascannon, as it will drop all, but the hardist of fighters with carapace and most destroyable objectives, with stained fire. Top it off by being 100 credits cheaper than the lascannon
Credit aside I like wepons that go dakka, dakka, dakka *grins*

In all honesty, the hardest heavy weapon you'll ever need is a Heavy Bolter, though a heavy stubber will usually provide more than enough fire support. In all likelihood, 1-2 guys at most are walking around decked out in carapace, etc. and if a player chooses to kit out a couple of guys, the rest of his gang is probably lacking in good equipment. Knowing that, target the weaker guys and force bottle rolls to win, the big guys only matter if they get close IMO.

Catferret
19-01-2007, 10:45
I'm not a fan of Heavyt Bolters unless you have lots of Armourers or the user has Weaponsmith. The number of times I have run out of ammo on the first shot of the game is insane. I totally agree that Heavy Stubbers are more than sufficient for fire support. Long range, good rate of fire and pretty reliable.

talos935
19-01-2007, 13:54
In all honesty, the hardest heavy weapon you'll ever need is a Heavy Bolter, though a heavy stubber will usually provide more than enough fire support. In all likelihood, 1-2 guys at most are walking around decked out in carapace, etc. and if a player chooses to kit out a couple of guys, the rest of his gang is probably lacking in good equipment. Knowing that, target the weaker guys and force bottle rolls to win, the big guys only matter if they get close IMO.

I thought this was auto vs las, and as Catferret said bolters have a bad ammo roll

marv335
19-01-2007, 15:32
on this issue, i go foe autopistols and lasguns.
for heavy weapons i go for two heavy stubbers.
i did the whole lascannon thing, but in the end the stubbers did more damage.

Mephistofeles
20-01-2007, 21:26
Autoguns and autopistols every time, they are just that much cooler!

Rules-wise, I think that lasguns are far superior to autoguns, and autopistols and laspistols are equal, there it's a matter of taste.

My gaming group has gone so far as to have a set limit of 3 lasguns and 3 laspistols in any gang at any one time. We did this to stop the trend of 10-man gangs all carrying lasguns (we had 3 of those gangs I think), and it has worked nicely.

Fluff-wise we explained it as since our campaign takes place in Armageddon Hive and not Necromunda Hive Primus, all las-weapons have gone to the planetary defense force in the last war, and there is just not very many of them left in the underhive to get hold of :)

Catferret
20-01-2007, 21:55
I have never encountered a gang using lots of Lasguns. In all the gaming groups I have played in, everybody has used a mix of weapons. There has usually been someone with a slight emphasis on Shotguns but that's not really an issue.

I wouldn't object to a Lasgun toting gang anywhere near as much as the Overwatch/Exterminator Redemptionists!

SON OF LION
21-01-2007, 04:25
I always hated the strenght in numbers of a scavvy player I knew. His entire gang was armed with nothing and every game he bought one scavvy to use to feed the rest of the gang. Of course that was under the old rules but it was vicious. He had so many models it wasn't funny.

Darkhorse
21-01-2007, 11:44
I agree with Catferret on the Heavy Bolter, it has a 56% chance of running out of ammo every time you fire unless you have Armourers etc.

With 2 armourers autoweapons win out over lasweapons every time, I'll take a gamble on 'em at 1 armourer but it's personal taste for risk.
The autoweapons also have good upgrade options, silencers for autopistols and tracers for autoguns. (It isn't worth buying tracers for autopistols as unless you're playing in Pitch Dark you can see at least 16")

On hired guns I give autopistols to Wyrds for the same reason I give them to Juves. If I have a non Gunfighter Scum I give them a Plasma Pistol and Laspistol, they'll be using the plasma pistol and the las liberates an autopistol (modelwise) I can give to a Juve or Wyrd. Ratskin Scouts get a Lasgun as they can't get any upgrades.

Lord 0
08-02-2007, 18:43
lasgun>autogun, laspistol<autopistol.

In the campains I ran I too noticed the preponderance of lasguns. I hate restricting things though, so to encourage people to take autoguns I made rules for AP, HP, and tracer rounds. Also, I reminded people that only auto-weapons could be silenced. Early game many still took the lasguns, but mid to late game saw more and more autoweapons popping up.

Elated Panda
15-02-2007, 19:59
On the lasgun we taken away the save modifier. Works great. :)

the dark angel
17-02-2007, 21:30
lasguns auto pistols are the best combo but shotguns rule bolt rounds are awsome!

tip:shotguns with bolt rounds are basicly bolters but with a better ammo roll :)

Darkhorse
17-02-2007, 21:44
A shotgun with bolt rounds has a 6+ ammo roll, same as a boltgun.
Not more reliable but more available.
It does entail a higher cost than either the autogun or lasgun options and won't benefit as much from telescopic sights as a boltgun.
Essentially it's adding 10/15 creds to the cost of a ganger for a higher to wound rate. The normal cost being 70-75 creds.
You're looking at 13-14% extra cost for about 8% better chance of wounding.
Possibly worth it but I prefer the manstopper which has the same strength, has the 4+ ammo roll and gets an initiative modifier for falling.

Catferret
18-02-2007, 01:52
I use the Bolt Rounds for longer range shooting on Shotgun models. Genarally an upgrade after gang creation when I can afford it. I do choose them for Leaders though. Manstoppers are always better than Bolt in most situations though. Where Bolt win out is at up to 24" and the target is above ground level. Bolters don't have the penalty to avoid falling off buildings!:evilgrin:

The Laughing Man!
18-02-2007, 15:39
I personally prefer any solid shot weapon over an energy based one for modelling reasons (converting up AK's and AUG's is always fun:p ) and for psychological reasons the smell, rattle and boom-age of a good old autogun wins out over the crack or whine or whatever the hell a lasgun does.

Having said that I still include lasguns just for the sake of variety and because not everyone thinks the same as me including my gangers;)

Discuss!

I have never used a lascannon and never will I just don't see the point, autocannons however while still kinda pointles are undeniabley very, very cool so if I ever got the creds I would probably buy one for my goliaths.

Damn my love of autocannons! Its all killzones fault, damn squadcannon!