PDA

View Full Version : Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn - Demon's Name WIP

dogfender2
03-01-2007, 22:11
While I havent been painting a lot lately, I have been sculpting the center piece of my army. I didnt want to show anyone until GD and then I thought,well perhaps when he is finnished being sculpted, and Im just too excited. So here may I present to you the Great Old One.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/d0gfender/Cthulhu%20project/DSCN1464.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/d0gfender/Cthulhu%20project/DSCN1465.jpg

He still needs his tail, hand and his back/ ribs finnished, he is still very much a WIP. all CC are welcome as it will help me define him more.

scarletsquig
03-01-2007, 22:19
Aww, that's so cute! <3 Cthulhu

cerealkiller195
03-01-2007, 22:24
the great one always brings a warm sensation to my heart...

Wolf Scout Ewan
03-01-2007, 22:38
OMG it is Cthulu!

Quite a beauty if u like squig headed giant deamons.

AinuLainour
03-01-2007, 22:40
Take the picture down, let only GW reveal it when they have GD coverage in WD :D

noneedforaname
03-01-2007, 23:05
One word of warning make sure you add enough detail to tie it into the GW fluff and not too much cthulu.

GW do not give daemons to models that don not fit there idead of "there" universe (it was even stated clearly in a WD article) and it would be a shame to waste such high quality work.

Kjell
03-01-2007, 23:07
Nicely done, but I have to say that he needs longer face-tentacles in order to achieve that proper over-the-top WHFB feeling. :p

highmarshaldave
03-01-2007, 23:08
Centrepiece for which army?

Nice model though. Tickled my mate's fancy no end. . .

Dave out.

Sandlemad
04-01-2007, 00:07
I second the tentacles length comment and best of luck getting a daemon, it's most awesome. Remember, lots of ethereal slime.:)
One thing, I see the wings from the LOTR balrog. Is there any rules conflict with that as regards entering? You'd want to check that, I think such models wouldn't be shown in WD but I'm unsure as to any regulations about entering competitions.

athamas
04-01-2007, 00:50
awww.. isnt it cute

yeah, at least the two main tentecals should be longer...

and what are you using to skulpt with?

dogfender2
04-01-2007, 01:19
Thanks for the nice responses! I had concern about the wings also, but alas they are the only decent wings GW has created =/. To my understanding the contract with the lotr stuff has been changed, after all it has been many years since the releases of the films and has died down significantly. Also given that its the wings and not an entire model im using like a felbeast id think its ok.

I also had thoughts of there being a problem with it in a GD because it lacks symbolism. But then again I dont want to put a chaos star on his chest like belakor.. However he is sculpted to look like the tyranid brood lord, so that the imagery (they stole from Aliens movies) is still in context I guess, The reason why I like is because its a strange new god, using tyranid themed things making it very alien and like nothing else in the fantasy world, which makes it stand out =)

Ive considered making his tentacles a little longer, I just dont want them covering his chest so much. well back to work ill keep yall posted!

Catferret
04-01-2007, 01:44
In order to avoid any hassle, enter it as a "Winged Hive Tyrant". You said it was styled off the Broodlord... I dunno if Hive Tyrants can have Feeder Tentacles but you may just get away with it.

doghouse
04-01-2007, 02:56
Wow! Really nice!
If you're worried about tying it in with WFB how about adding some small armoured pieces with chaos icons and a hand weapon like an axe or sword.
Perhaps just one side of the torso armoured and held on with straps with an eight pointed star on the breast so that you can still see the ribs on the other side? :)

ss_cherubael
04-01-2007, 04:04
first off, it is awesome. Looks like a huge winged brood lord not really that demony but still cool.

secondly it will be refused entry in Golden Demon, you can not mix parts from LOTR with WHFB and 40K stuff it will be knocked back. this is part of their agreement with the LOTR people. so lose the wings. sad but true and thats the case all over the world regarding their comps.

meowser
04-01-2007, 05:34
O
M
F
G
Ia! Ia! thats is amazing !111!!!1one!!!one11one!!!

theprogram00
04-01-2007, 07:33
That is one cool model! May i say well done! The best parts i think are the ribs and the squid head! If i came across that i would leap back in awe (and possibly horror)

EDIT: whats with the name? It seems like you just punched the keyboard repeatedly!

Mephistofeles
04-01-2007, 11:29
Wonderful! I love it! Ol' granddad Cthulu need more attention, and this is just the way to do it. Summoning him via a model replica, never occured to me before, clever trick that one...

On to some opinions:

I would not make the face-tentacles longer, they have just the perfect Chtulu
feel, any more and they will be too Tyranid.

And on the wings: Just to be on the safe side, seeing how skilled you are, couldn't you make your own wings, with those as a reference? It would probably lessen your hassle with the judges.

And on the idea of entering it as a winged Hive Tyrant, I'm sorry but that is probably the way to go if you don't want to add any chaos imagery or armour to it. Is he going to be holding anything in his left hand?

And you might also want to...consider that name if you enter it :P Cthulu R'lyeh is a bit obvious :P

Otherwise, fantastic model, the second I saw it I wanted to kiss you!

inq.serge
04-01-2007, 11:52
Cthulu f'thang!

Nice.

Is it milliput you're using?

Lex Luthor
04-01-2007, 11:57
holy $h!t that's awesome. i will relate to what i have said in previous posts though and say this :balrog wings, what can't they be used for?

hellric
04-01-2007, 12:14
&#207;a &#207;a, Cthulhu F'htagn !!!

Very good scuplt so far, as a Cthulhu fan I'll follow this topic closely, always nice to see Lovecraft inspired stuff.

If you want to see my own cthulhu stuff, check my blog ;)

Damien 1427
04-01-2007, 12:22
IA! IA!

Nicely done. I look forward to seeing it painted. :D

Boss_Salvage
04-01-2007, 14:14
Very very sweet stuff thus far! How much of it isn't sculpted? The wings obviously, but what else?

Also, I think it's very sad that there has to be so much speculation whether this beautiful model "can or can't" be entered in a painting competition. Give me a few minutes and I could find some links to at least a few Khorne demon princes that use Balrog heads / wings / arms and made at least first cut @ Games Days :P

- Salvage

IJW
04-01-2007, 16:46
Schlurp! Lovely, just lovely.

Catferret
04-01-2007, 17:09
Unfortunately the current ruling is no mixed models.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/goldendemon/competitors-guidelines/1/

However these are the 2006 rules and are likely to change because Tolkien Enterprises have relaxed their control on GW products. You may now use models with mixed components in GW stores so hopefully Golden Demon will go the same way.

||-MARKO-||
04-01-2007, 18:11
it loks like something between a lictor with wings, and an ood....

sweet though, but not demon-esque enough for me. horns, and skulls etc would help A LOT

marko

Lostanddamned
04-01-2007, 18:55
I like!

Enter it as a tyranid though, and you have a much greater chance of winning.

The base needs ichor and some insane cultists/husks of people who have had their souls consumed.

noneedforaname
04-01-2007, 18:58
If you sculpt over the wings enough you should be able to pass them off as having being sculpted yourself thus avoiding any parts mixing issues.

Just be very quiet about it ssshhhh!!!!

dogfender2
04-01-2007, 19:45
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Ive taken two angled pictures so you all can see he isnt really 'flat'. But like I have said, its sculpted to look JUST like the Tyranid Broodlord, to keep continuety in the army. He was sculpted out of Magic sculpt, green stuff, super sculpey and plumbers putty. Id make my own wings, but they are not only a pain in the butt, and these are the exact looks id be going for, (they loosely look like the be'lakor wings on my exhaulted demon aka; starspawn). He also will not be holding anything in his hand, as a god he needs no material objects.. but a castle. His presence alone kills things =)

enjoy, more updated pictures will come today
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/d0gfender/Cthulhu&#37;20project/DSCN1467.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/d0gfender/Cthulhu%20project/DSCN1466.jpg

ps. hellric i did see yourstuff, its all really good, and did i mention crazy?

Bloodthirster90
04-01-2007, 20:00
I'm scared already! :D nice work

Hideous Loon
04-01-2007, 21:17
It looks really good, a little on the small side though. After all, Cthulhu is BIG. Larger than King Kong, larger than life, Cthuuuu-lhuuuuu!

UnRiggable
04-01-2007, 21:41
I think it looks more like Davy Jones from Pirates of the caribbean...

Very nice by the way.

Ornithoticus
04-01-2007, 22:15
Haha, now i know this foul daemons name i can send it back to the realms of chaos!!!

but seriously, awesome sculpt

Frodo34x
22-02-2007, 15:37
Any updates on the awesome model? Is it painted yet?

Agamemnon2
22-02-2007, 17:06
GW do not give daemons to models that don not fit there idead of "there" universe (it was even stated clearly in a WD article) and it would be a shame to waste such high quality work.

If a model doesn't win a competition it's "wasted"? Interesting philosophy.

sir.spamalot
22-02-2007, 17:20
Awesome, finally doing cthulhu some justice. Patiently waiting for updates....

baphomael
24-02-2007, 19:23
it loks like something between a lictor with wings, and an ood....

sweet though, but not demon-esque enough for me. horns, and skulls etc would help A LOT

marko

Never heard of the Great Cthulhu before?

HiveTrygon
24-02-2007, 19:48
It is excellent! I'd throw a little daemon armor on it just to fit it into the GW universe, or a little chain armor. :D

Hicks
24-02-2007, 20:25
It is excellent! I'd throw a little daemon armor on it just to fit it into the GW universe, or a little chain armor. :D

What he said, otherwise I think he looks a bit too much like a big Nid (but that's GWs fault). That said, the sculpt itself is brilliant and really ressembles Cthullu.