PDA

View Full Version : Savage Ork boar boyz

Col. Dash
04-01-2007, 02:02
What is the best number of these to use, besides zero? A group of 5 or a group of 10? I would like to use 10 but seeing as how extremely expensive they are just as normal SOBB I kinda am steering away from it.
On a side note I keep hearing how they arent worth the points, but I have always loved the idea of mean boars charging into battle so I will use one unit anyway. On a sidenote I am doing up a highlander savage ork and NG army representing a warband from the high mountains. The savage orcs will all get kilts and bonnets and Braveheart look alike weapons plus the warpaint heheh.

mtw1983
04-01-2007, 06:33
Well they're not horrible remember that with spear your getting 2S4 and two S5 attacks on the charge sinc frenzy affects the mount you figure that versus T3 infantry with a 4+ and you get something like 5-6 wounds a turn with a 4+ to hit, not the best thing but if it hits along with something else it would do alright.

Braad
04-01-2007, 09:00
They are awesome, if you ask me!
So taking zero isn't even an option!

Well...
I have five, and they do pretty well, especially with the new rules. But I've got 5 more to point, since if I loose one, I loose attacks, and that is not a good thing with those guys.
Anyways, they are well worth their points. Normal boar boyz on the other hand are considered not though.
I normally field them against the less numerous units, other cavalry or terror causing monsters since they are immune to psychology.

I usually also give them Gork's WAAAGH Banner, one time +D6 on charge. Combine this with the WAAAGH rule, and you have either 2 times up to 20" or once up to 26" of range... needs some luck with those 6'ses of course though...

warlord hack'a
04-01-2007, 10:40
I field a unit of 5 wanted 6 but ran out of points. They did great, just shield them form shooting and from being charge pulled and you will be fine. Overrun rules!

Rikkjourd
04-01-2007, 10:44
I am currently building a unit. I will make them 5 + one big boss with porkos pigstikka, all savage and big un upgrade. On top of that I will have full command and noggs banner of butchery. This unit will be super expensive and a missile magnet, but if they do hit something they WILL destroy it! =) It will be screened by spider riders and I am thinking about making the boss my general to make the WAAAGH automatic. This unit will put out 35 S5 attacks on the charge against a fully ranked unit! Talk about unit breaker if I can get them to reach the enemy line.

blurred
04-01-2007, 13:17
With the 6th edition army book I used a unit of 7 with great success. With Nogg's banner of butchery they were very impressive. With the current book I'm using 6 with a musician. Haven't played that many battles yet, but I think they'll do good. 12 S4 and 12 S5 attacks hurt! ;)

jahorin
04-01-2007, 14:47
i haven't played much game with the new book. but so far a unit of 6 with full command works fine. and of course i once tried the big'un upgrade with the banner of butchery, it rocks for sure.

but by now everybody nows the trick. so i would advise in fielding two units of savage orcs boarboyz if you can afford the points. one should be upgrade to big'uns and the other the "normal" one would have the banner of butchery. that way you will divert the shooting a bit and make sure that one of the unit will survive and see some HtH action. if you want to get nasty, lend them some support with a savage orc big boss riding a chariot and you've got your self one serious charging line.

waaaaagh!

Lord_Meretrix
04-01-2007, 17:10
I do what Rikkjourd does but I have a unit of 5 with a BO Big Boss for the auto WAAGGGHHH!! Plus the waaghh banner and you get an average of 21 inches on the first move. Or you move the first turn, and they get one chance to hit the unit missles/magic, and than I charge whomever I want. I have not failled a charge with them yet. Especially because I often combine there charge with the Warboss on a chariot.

greenskin
04-01-2007, 19:50
I have a unit of 5 with a BO Big Boss for the auto WAAGGGHHH!!
That is probably the worst idea I have ever heard.

Tutore
04-01-2007, 21:43
I never used them, but it seems a good idea to have them Big Uns in a unit of 5-6 with full command. You'll have 11 Str 5 attacks if you charge in a unit of 5. Not counting the boars.

Master Vampire
04-01-2007, 21:56
What is the best number of these to use, besides zero? A group of 5 or a group of 10? I would like to use 10 but seeing as how extremely expensive they are just as normal SOBB I kinda am steering away from it.
On a side note I keep hearing how they arent worth the points, but I have always loved the idea of mean boars charging into battle so I will use one unit anyway. On a sidenote I am doing up a highlander savage ork and NG army representing a warband from the high mountains. The savage orcs will all get kilts and bonnets and Braveheart look alike weapons plus the warpaint heheh.

Well I don't know the best number, but you wanted them because of the idea of the boar charging in battle. You can use normal Orc Boar Boys for it, no? And with the warpaint at all, maybe even a slight conversion, they can look at savage as Savage Orcs... To be honest, I think the Savage Orcs have more in common with a jungle tribe than a tribe from cold mountains like in Braveheart.

And don't all Orcs look savage? :D Savage Orcs are just transvestites, cause they just overreact it !

Cheers
-MV

Heretic Burner
04-01-2007, 22:01
Besides zero?

Errrr, well if you absolutely must take them I'd go with six personally. I would possibly splurge for a musician but that's about it. Certainly not a standard or boss, way too expensive.

Avoid Big Unz, this unit is already so poor there is no point in making them one of the worst in the game.

And never, never, never put a Black Orc Boss with them. Quelling may very well destroy your unit. So don't. For the sake of the snotlings, don't.

Of course, I think we both know what I believe the true ideal number to take is...

Crazy Harborc
05-01-2007, 02:22
Five to start with. IMHO, wait until you've got ten ready to use. Um, why not have a plus one for a standard in the CR phase? The extra attack a boss has just might be the one you win the HtH by. That one more chance at a wound unsaved...go for it.

So far, my BO heroes have been great for what they can bring to HtH. I LIKE the way animosity works now.:D

Jonahmaul
05-01-2007, 09:25
That is probably the worst idea I have ever heard.

That's a very useful comment!! Why don't you say why you think it is a bad idea rather than just posting what is basically an insult?

I do what Rikkjourd does but I have a unit of 5 with a BO Big Boss for the auto WAAGGGHHH!! Plus the waaghh banner and you get an average of 21 inches on the first move. Or you move the first turn, and they get one chance to hit the unit missles/magic, and than I charge whomever I want. I have not failled a charge with them yet. Especially because I often combine there charge with the Warboss on a chariot.

That said I don't really think this is a great tactic. If you move 21" on the first turn you are just leaving yourself open to get charged by lots of units in in the enemies turn & as your frenzied you can't flee. If you move forward & then attempt a long charge the enemy can just flee leaving you stranded again as chances are your charge won't be long enough to catch them & you won't be able to redirect the charge as there'll be no new targets (unless that's changed in 7th edition?).

Also agree with comment that SO boar boyz are too expensive to risk putting a BO hero in as quelling animosity with strength 5 attacks is going to hurt quite a lot & they're not the cheapest models!! Also I don't really like the idea of putting BO in other units, I think BO bosses should go in BO units, SO bosses in SO units etc. (maybe I'm just Orc racist!!)

Jonahmaul
05-01-2007, 09:29

This army sounds cool, I'm planning a similar one though not highlander. Doing a tribal army so only including Savage Orcs & Forest Goblins (going to convert from Goblin plastics & spare bits from spider riders hopefully - think this is more in keeping that using night goblins) & then will throw in some Trolls & a Giant or two (which I'm sure can be found out in the wilderness!!). This is based round the appendix list in 6th edition O&G book but I'm not including any warmachines as I think it's uncharacteristic.

greenskin
05-01-2007, 17:10
That's a very useful comment!! Why don't you say why you think it is a bad idea rather than just posting what is basically an insult?
You answered your own question here...

Also agree with comment that SO boar boyz are too expensive to risk putting a BO hero in as quelling animosity with strength 5 attacks is going to hurt quite a lot & they're not the cheapest models!!
Rather obvious once you think it through. I figured it would trigger that, "Oh, yeah" response.