PDA

View Full Version : Help! Khorne vs Orks.

F_Garrison
04-01-2007, 02:39
Starting to go back to fantasy after couple years. I use Khorne and is facing a 2000pts game againist Orks. What should I do/

Latro
04-01-2007, 05:00
Win ... 'nuff said.

Braad
04-01-2007, 08:06
Start saying "orcs" instead of "orks"...

Well, a friend of me has a small khorne army (only mortal) and the thing he always does wrong is just field a few very strong units. Sometimes he wins, but for me it is also very easy to pick out the really expensive ones with my spear chukka's. Also watch the fanatics. Perhaps some inexpensive horsemen or so to draw them out in an early stage...

Watch out for black orcs. Mine once without the charge of a fully packed unit of knights (meaning: khorne and chosen, 5 of them) and after that chopped them to pieces with nogg's banner of butchery and great axes.

warlord hack'a
04-01-2007, 09:36
do not rely on your armour to save you:
- stone throwers, doomdivers and spear chukkas have 'NO armour save allowed'
- fanatics have a -3 armour save modifier
- choppa's give +1 Stregnth in the 1st round of combat, meaning that orc big uns hit with S5 in the first round
- squigs have S5, orc general has S5, boars on a charge have S5, giants have S6, trolls have 1 S5 no armour save hit (or 3 S5 normal attacks), black orcs have either 2 S5 or 1 S6 attack per model.

Shortly said: the O&G force has a LOT of options for high S attacks. And orcs with T4 are more resillient than most enemy troops, expecially when combined with light armour and shield: T4 and 4+ save is quite good.

And finally watch out for wolfriders, they are cheap and have 18"marchmove, they can lead chaos khorne knights by the nose without problems.

Mephistofeles
04-01-2007, 10:10
Well, Orcs kick ass in close combat, and so do Khorne. The thing is that Khorne is better at it. So you should win, just as long as you manage to minimize his shooting at your units.

Inkosi
04-01-2007, 10:58
Win ... 'nuff said.

lol thats so unlike you latro.

1 word as well from me.

Hellcannon.

The panic tests it causes are Priceless against Horde armies like Orcs.

Need to know more about your army composition before we can give any meaningful comments.

Neknoh
04-01-2007, 11:13
Indeed, a Hellcannon, a unit of Chosen knights of Khorne, a unit of Knights of Khorne, a small unit of 14 Chosen Warriors with Additional Handweapons, shields and full command (fielded 7 wide, this unit gives you 29 attacks against all Orc units, Goblins will "only" allow for 25 attacks), use the shields to save against normal shooting.

Then, proceed to spend the rest of your points on 2 units of Marauder Horsemen with Flails and a Musician (maybe buy throwing axes as well to get rid of enemy Fanatics), a LOT of Warhounds to screen, draw fanatics, capture tablequarters, lure charges etc. etc. and one or two BIG units of 25 Marauders with Full Command just to lock down Orc units you want to deal with later.

Now, for characters, I would go for a singe Exalted Champion of Khorne on a Juggernaut of Khorne armed with the Enchanted Shield and the Berserker Sword to ride with the Non-chosen Khorne Knights, remember, if you have 5 Rank and File units, characters with US4 or less that joins said unit can NOT be picked out by shooting before the unit is reduced to 4 or less Rank and File models, just make sure to place him in the middle to maximise his number of attacks, the two Knights on the side will still get to attack enemy orc units due to corner-to-corner.

Also, make sure to talk to your opponent about Frenzy and steeds, show him the new rule and ask him what he thinks, are the steed Frenzied in that that they get an extra attack according to him? All the better, that means that Khorne Chosen Knights will dish out 15 strength 5 and 10 strength 4 attacks

Latro
04-01-2007, 16:46
lol thats so unlike you latro.

1 word as well from me.

Hellcannon.

The panic tests it causes are Priceless against Horde armies like Orcs.

Need to know more about your army composition before we can give any meaningful comments.

Well, I blame it on the facts that it was too damned early, hadn't had me cuppa tea yet and was facing an hour long bicycle-ride through a rainstorm ... :mad:

Things like that tend to influence my mood a wee bit ... ;)

That said, I also tend to frown a bit upon posts that provide minimal information, show minimal effort of the person himself and ask for maximum result ... in other words: "Hi! Make me win!"

The more you provide in the initial post, the better the advise will be. Ask questions about certain units, tactics or strategies as a whole ... but please be more specific then: "Hi! Make me win!"

Since I just had a nice big mug of tea (and as a result feeling very good about myself), I'll add some tips myself as well:

The deciding factor will be what type and the amount of support units you will choose. The elite assault units are important and more than able to kick some green behind, but also easily distracted from their task. It's your support that will shape the battle in such a way that your assault units can start doing their job:

- threaten/destroy enemy warmachines
- lure out fanatics
- screen your frenzied units
- divert enemy elite units

(PS Khornate mounts do not get the extra attack due to frenzy like all other frenzied units now do ... check the new GW FAQ update)

F_Garrison
05-01-2007, 01:53
I have 1 unit of 8 knight, 1 hellcannon, 1 unit of 16 Warriors with Great weapon, 1 unit of 16 warriros with hand weapon and shield, 2 unit of 16 Marauders, a hero on Juggernaut and a Daemon Prince

warlord hack'a
05-01-2007, 13:05
be careful with your daemon prince, boltthrowers love him..

your flanks will be overrun by O&G fast cav and chariots but he will have some difficulty in dealing with the 2 big blocks of choas warriors, beware of getting charge baited..

Inkosi
05-01-2007, 15:49
I have 1 unit of 8 knight, 1 hellcannon, 1 unit of 16 Warriors with Great weapon, 1 unit of 16 warriros with hand weapon and shield, 2 unit of 16 Marauders, a hero on Juggernaut and a Daemon Prince

hmm too lazy to open up my armybuilder at the moment, but are you sure you can fit that many khorne units into a 2000pt game?? of cos assuming that all the units you mentioned have the MoK.

if they all do. all i can say is good luck. you re going to get slaughtered.

This isnt 40k (from your avatar) you cant play them like world eaters.

fantasy is much more tactical and if you think raw power is going to win the day think again. you need screeners (warhounds) to prevent your units from being baited. you need fast cav (marauder horse or flesh hounds) to support your units. Your knights do NOT need to be 8 big. Biggest i have seen is 6.

And do put in some effort. Use the search function for the older thread of chaos tactica by Latro or Neknoh (cant remember who started it) they have very good advice in there and i am just too tired to repeat the same things i say everytime.