PDA

View Full Version : If they made a 40k Movie around a Major Event what would you like

redbaron998
04-01-2007, 03:55
If you had to pick one of these which would you, mind you it has to be sometihng people without a indepth 40k history knowledge will still enjoy

Creep
04-01-2007, 04:14
The dawn of war thing would cater to a bigger audience methinks, horus heresy would be cool but I would like to see more than just chaos and marines.

Armageddon would be sicknasty fo sho. A big clash between orks and guard, epic-scale tank battles, an army of cadians stretched thing having to hold a hive from the invading orks.

I would say Armageddon. But I voted Dawn of War as a Dawn of War movie would sell the best.

salty
04-01-2007, 04:19
I voted for the Horus Heresy.

It has it all. A god-like, superhero protagonist, a similar antagonist who is, for all intents and purposes, the antithesis of everything the protagonist stands for. Epic battles across countless worlds with millions upon billions of men on either side. Space battles, Exterminatus, daemons, primarchs, Gods and monsters, titans, sieges, orbital bombardments, villains, heroes, its all in there. Start it with the Great Crusade and a little history about the Imperium and teh galaxy it inhabits and you get your aliens in there too.

Would make for a great movie methinks.

Salty :)

Mr_Smiley
04-01-2007, 05:13
Horus Heresy as this opens the story up well and allows for any other film to follow.
The biggest problem with the Horus Heresy is which point of view do you tell it from?

MAD MAN-A-TRON
04-01-2007, 05:16
Horus Heresy all the way, especially if it was based on the new books put out.

Catferret
04-01-2007, 05:27
I went with Horus Heresy but it would need to be at least a trilogy. And 4 hours per film probably...

I was also tempted by the Age of Apostasy. I loved all the extra background that was in the first Codex Assassins back in 2nd Ed. Dunno how well it would work as a movie though.

x-esiv-4c
04-01-2007, 05:29
A 3 hour Epic about Warlord GraZzgik trying to out-eat a face eater squid....Brilliant stuff.

Icarus
04-01-2007, 05:34
I voted for Horus Heresy, but it would have to be done properly. We're talking big budget LoTR-style epic. I doubt it would ever happen, but then again GW are branching out these days and Hollywood seems desperate for any original ideas. I think my main fear is that Space Marines would become American GI Joes.

Still, if done well, it would rock my world! :D

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
04-01-2007, 05:55
just ONE movie ? I dont think one major event would work as a single film.

I'd like a Horus Heresy film-trilogy (3hr films at the LEAST) or a war in heaven trilogy would be great, especially cos it wouldnt have any damn humans in it and we'd be able to see races that are now extinct. Of failing that some necron uprising would be great too. Iv always wanted to see 'crons annihilating everything in their path in a storm of green energy while flayed ones rip people apart...mmm tasty.

If you want 90-min single-episode films then stuff like Space Hulk would work well though....but what id ideally like is a deathwing/gaunts-ghosts or Inquisitor TV series *sigh*

Vaktathi
04-01-2007, 06:14
I think either the Horus Heresy or the 13th Black Crusade would be cool. But only if it ended up being part Saw, part Saving Private Ryan, with very little goofy Star Wars (e.g. very gritty, realistic, violent, fast, and not kiddy safe)

Arch-Traitor Horus
04-01-2007, 06:52
i always thought that the "Space wolf" book series would make a good movie also if they made a dow movie it would properly be animated like the intro to dark crusade(i thought that was good)
the only down side to a 40k movie there would have to be a introduction to the 41st millennium for those without a knowlage about 40k events or gw products (which i would fall asleep in:rolleyes:)

Ardathair
04-01-2007, 06:53
The Fall of the Eldar of course. Darn, that would have to be a musical told by the Harlequins. Scratch that. No Musicals!

The Horus Heresy gets my vote.

Kandarin
04-01-2007, 06:54
The Age of Apostasy, for the simple reason that it doesn't require explaining Chaos or any other race. It's just humans against humans in the grim, dark Imperium. The Horus Heresy just has too much sheer concept stuff to fit into any movie series. Mind you, it's epic, but without LotR-level investment and more, conveying it all is impossible.

loco_smoko
04-01-2007, 07:16
I went for the Horus heresy in that the seige of the imoerial palace would be the single coolest thing you could ever put onto celluloid.:D

However I would say that gaunts ghosts would work very well as a movie. As there is already a book with a definite start and end and the characters are easy to identify and a knowledge of the background is not necesary.

The bad guys are the ones with freaky tatts and the big ass guy guy in armour is the enemy boss monster. Easy. ;)
Anyone can understand that.

Plus it would make for a good tester for any future movie as things like the HH or armageddon would be monster budget.

My 2 cents

Cheers

Jerry

konate
04-01-2007, 07:20
The greatness of the 40k world lies in it's Medaeval feel. Ignorance and Mystery. The Horus Heresy does more for 40k in darkness than it does in light. It's the best story 40k has to offer, but if done in a movie, it should be told as a reflection with ambiguity in interpretation; used as an instrument for subjugation, not as a "matter of fact" first person witness.

That's why I voted for the 13th Crusade. It's a better intro to the 40k world where elements like the Horus Heresy could be included in a manner that could reinforce the Medaeval theme.

mistformsquirrel
04-01-2007, 09:08
The Age of Apostasy, for the simple reason that it doesn't require explaining Chaos or any other race. It's just humans against humans in the grim, dark Imperium. The Horus Heresy just has too much sheer concept stuff to fit into any movie series. Mind you, it's epic, but without LotR-level investment and more, conveying it all is impossible.

My thoughts exactly.

That, and it'd involve the Sisters of Battle... granted on the 'bad guy' end of thigns... but still.

<3 my ladies in power armor <,<;;;

<. .>; WHAT?!! Don't look at me like that...

QuixotesGhost
04-01-2007, 09:20
Horus Heresy? Why get a diluted version? Go straight to the source. I want a film adaptation of Paradise Lost.

mistformsquirrel
04-01-2007, 09:21
Why get a diluted version of it? Go straight to the source. I want a film adaptation of Paradise Lost.

2 problems:

1) No power armor.

2) No chainsaw swords.

<. .>

Son-Of-Sparda
04-01-2007, 09:59
The Fall of the Eldar of course. Darn, that would have to be a musical told by the Harlequins. Scratch that. No Musicals!

Ha! Genius...

I would like to see a film(s), not neccessarily about the fall of the Eldar (although this could appear as backstory), but would like to see them take a major role- ie. that they foresaw the Horus Heresy, or knew how important Medusa V is etc.
So yeah, either Horus Heresy or Medusa V.

Hm, would GW be so low as to produce minis from the film? Perhaps an entirely new event- which will mean the production of new minis, will endeavour to draw more people to the hobby?

I can see a film sort of working- it would have to 40k IMHO, as to not look like the LoTR. ALthough whether it would be successful or not to those that aren't fans already (looks at the appalling D and D film ;) )

EDIT: Good thread btw!

Commisar BoB
04-01-2007, 10:04

yea that would be a musical with interpitive dance *shudders*

vampires are cool!
04-01-2007, 10:22
Armaggedon for me, espesialy if they got Ian Mackellan or Christopher Lee to play Yarrick. Yet who could play Gazhghul?

Carlos
04-01-2007, 13:06
If GW wanted it to be much more than just a Niche film watched only by the 40K faithful at some encolsure at Warhammer World they would need to do something people havent seen before, and the only thing mentioned really is the Horus Heresy.

The Age of Apostasy would be too confusing to none-gamers who dont know the fluff and the above about a niche still applies to DoW. They cant use Orks or it just looks like a Sci-fi LoTR, They cant use Nids due to the Starship troopers/alien parallels, they cant use Tau due to their anime influence and the eldar just resemble the vulcans from star trek.

Therefore it maketh the ost sense do do a film based entirely on mankind.

Of course, why GW hasnt commisioned a CGI DVD release of a 40K based film scripted by some of its talented authors and then rendered by the guys who did the Dawn of War Intro is beyond me. There is certainly the market for it.

Rlyehable
04-01-2007, 13:18
I would have voted "other" if there was a choice.

The Badab War would be the most interesting to me.

Ardathair
04-01-2007, 13:51

Which version? The original with the Tiger Claws, not sure if they went chaos or not; or the Astral Claws where there was no ambiguity? Personally I prefer the former.

hiveminion
04-01-2007, 14:23
Horus Heresy, it is easiest to introduce the 40k universe with that one, as it's practically the beginning. If you start halfway the 40st millenium, you need to explain nearly EVERYTHING before you can start with the story...

Thenmy
04-01-2007, 14:24
Armaggedon for me, espesialy if they got Ian Mackellan or Christopher Lee to play Yarrick. Yet who could play Gazhghul?
Keanu Reeves :cool: in a green trenchcoat.

hiveminion
04-01-2007, 14:29
I wouldn't like to see familiar faces at all, it'll only weaken the "other world in distant future"-style that the movie should have, IMO.

Kjell
04-01-2007, 15:30
The Horus Heresy would only work if it was done as a set of three four-hour Greek-epic-tragedy films about each Primarch, and none about the Emperor. It'd be the Horus Heresy but better. Not just "as good as".

Honestly, though, a 40K-based movie should be a tragedy/drama-ish affair without massive armies. Or, if armies are involved, the main character (if it's a soldier) would have to die about two thirds in. And without any fancy last stands or shiny heroics. That way you might actually end up with something truly good instead of a regular war movie in a different setting. You'd know you had a good one when the majority of people watching it walk out feeling slightly depressed.

Life and death on Necromunda, the intrigue of the Inquisition, "The Soldier's Only Battle", maybe even a rogue, er, rogue trader who has fallen out of favour with several powerful trade lords... That sort of stuff. Also: catharsis!

Radical Inquisitor
04-01-2007, 15:38
None of the above. The best movies cover the same material as one short story and I think that it should be based on Missing in Action (my favorite GW story).

hiveminion
04-01-2007, 15:38
Actually, I've been thinking about this subject occasionally, and I thought that the life of a Space Marine (perhaps not following the background litarally) would make for a good movie.

That or the life of a Guardsman, from recruitment to death. It should have plenty of personal drama and tragedy, as Kjell says, but with scenes about the full-scale wars that the Imperium wages in it to form the apocalyptic setting.

Curufew
04-01-2007, 15:48
I want a movie that shows alot of Eldar dying. Cut into pieces

salty
04-01-2007, 15:59
Horus Heresy Plot

- Panoramic view of the Galaxy. Narrator (Tom Baker, of course!) reveals that this Galaxy was until very recently ruled by the Eldar (cut to Eldar Maiden Worlds, images of vibrant, bustling Eldar cities, ships everywhere). "Their decadence destroyed their civilisation; their psychic power manifested itself as a new and terrible God, who's birth tore a rift in space and time. This, is the Eye of Terror, where the Immaterium of Warp Space spills into this dimension."

- We enter the Eye, and the camera flies past various daemon worlds. "In the Warp, the four great and terrible Gods of Chaos reside. These creatures, all born of the psychic resonance of the mortal races, seek only death, pestilence, pleasure and change. They are Khorne, Blood God and Destroyer, greatest of these Chaos Gods; Nurgle, Grandfather of Plague and Pestilence; Tzeentch, Master Sorceror and Mutator, Changer of the Ways; and finally, the new comer, born out of the collective decadence of the Eldar race, Slaanesh, Prince of Pain and Pleasure."

- Leave the Eye, head for Earth. Narrator explains that this is Earth, circa 30th Millennium. A great power has arisen here, a man who calls himself simply the Emperor. He rose in Anatolia, and through diplomacy and force of arms, he reunited the sundered peoples of Earth. Together, they look once more to the stars, to reclaim the vast and great Empire before the fall of Man and the Dark Ages of Technology.

- The easily attainable are quickly recovered - Mars, Lunar. Here, we see the Martian factorums and workshops. Perhaps a quick description of Omnissiah. Then onto Lunar, and a description of the great bio-engineered warriors the Emperor is creating, the Primarchs.

- Finally, we see the scattering of the Primarchs, the Emperor's grief, and the beginnings of the Great Crusade to recover, not only the lost human worlds, but his own lost sons.

Of course, as has been said, this would work best as a trilogy, and definitely with a Lord of the Rings style budget. The above need not take much longer than ten or fifteen minutes at the most. After that, perhaps it should go as follows;

Movie 1: The Great Crusade, recovery of the Primarchs. Should show the internal conflicts between the Primarchs, the bitterness many felt for each other and indeed, Horus, ending with the apparent betrayal of Horus (and definitely the earlier turning of Lorgar and the Word Bearers, who's scheming should play a part). (210 minutes)

Movie 2: The beginnings of the Heresy. Eldrad Ulthran (I believe it was he) tries to warn the Emperor of the impending storm but his pleas fall on deaf ears. He does this not out of love for Man, but becausehe would not see another terrible deity of Chaos birthed from the resultant strife. Similarly Magnus warns the Emperor, but his own blasphemous nature is revealed. Big, big battle mid-movie between the Space Wolves and the Thousand Sons. Horus reveals his true intent on Istvaan III. Ends with his now obvious betrayal, the near destruction of three Legions and their Primarchs, and the beginnings of Civil War. (200 minutes)

Movie 3: Siege of the Emperor's Palace. Small sub-stories regarding the attempts by certain Legions (Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels) to get to the Imperial Palace in time. Sanguinius and the Bloodthirster. Battle aboard Horus' Battle Barge. Death of Sanguinius. Death of Horus and mortal wounding of Emperor. Dorn recovers the bodies of his fallen father and brother and gets them off the Barge. Abaddon finds the body of his fallen Warmaster and tears the Lightning Claw from him, vowing the avenge him and visit destruction upon the world of Man. Orders a full retreat. (230 minutes)

Personally, I think it could be done, in three movies, with a massive budget. Not that GW ever would.
What is more, it leaves open spin offs, even spin off series' maybe, regarding the aftermath - Perturabo, Dorn and the Lion's Den, Alpharius, Guilliman and the Alpha Legion, and so on.

Salty :)

knight of ne
04-01-2007, 16:00
how about an entire series of movies based around all of the horus heresy books. its got a great storyline, and can easily be made into a script, but no kmown actors cos that would ruin it.

Witch Hunter
04-01-2007, 16:41
Methinks that the Eisenhorn or Ravenor stories would translate well to film. Voice overs and rembrances could fill in the back story of the 40K world, and the pace and M:I/Blade Runner feel would appeal to a large audience outside of the core gamers.

Subtext
04-01-2007, 18:22
I think a Ciaphas Cain movie would be hilarious.

Rockerfella
04-01-2007, 18:44
For me, its 'other'.

I'd love to see the war in heaven. The C'tan harvesting. The Old ones, and the rise of the Eldar and their gods, the massive battles between the Eldar and the Necrontyr.. battles the likes of which the galaxy hasn't seen since. The fight between Khaine and the nightbringer, Cegorach tricking the outsider and the demise of the old ones.

Just seems more intersting to me than medusa v.... ;o)

Cheers!

Xisor
04-01-2007, 18:47
Other, easily.

Particularly: The Gothic War

Good bit of everything needed. Chaos, Space Marines, Cults, Rebellion, Heresy, Inquisitors, Hapeless Citizens, Enigmatic Eldar, Piratical and ruthless Orks, Epic Space Battles...

Would also make a successful, IMO, run of films. Not even 'simply' a trilogy, but allows alot of films to be set largely within the story, but not a strictly linear progression as is usual for a trilogy of films.

Yeah, the Gothic War...

<drifts off thinking of the amazingness that would be Captain Compel Bast and the Imperious during the Defence of Orar...>

Fideru
04-01-2007, 18:48
I would love to see Armageddon, but I voted Horus Heresy because I can.

Bloodthirster90
04-01-2007, 19:48
Methinks that the Eisenhorn or Ravenor stories would translate well to film. Voice overs and rembrances could fill in the back story of the 40K world, and the pace and M:I/Blade Runner feel would appeal to a large audience outside of the core gamers.

I agree with the eisenhorn. That would be a great film on its own, or maybe part of the great trilogy as mentioned by salty.

susu.exp
04-01-2007, 20:03
Honestly, though, a 40K-based movie should be a tragedy/drama-ish affair without massive armies. Or, if armies are involved, the main character (if it's a soldier) would have to die about two thirds in. And without any fancy last stands or shiny heroics. That way you might actually end up with something truly good instead of a regular war movie in a different setting. You'd know you had a good one when the majority of people watching it walk out feeling slightly depressed.

Yes. Best: Let this soldier be a guardsman, have him be the sole survivor af a battle with traitor guard, who manages to kill the last deamon around. Then:

CUT TO battle barge.

Inquisitor Naxos: They have seen too much...(BT)
Exterminatus.
Cpt. Jameson: Exterminatus.

CUT TO front launch bay:

Speakers: Exterminatus!

-*** Warheads moved into position ***-

CUT TO Planet seen from space

-***Warhead moving towards athmosphere, starts glowing***-

CUT TO our lone soldier wiping off sewat from forehead

CUT TO Planet seen from space

-*** BOOM ***-

Then follow the Inquisitor...
You could start such a film with one of the traitors as exposition and have him killed by the guardsman we follow. Get the Inquisitor killed by Eldar as he almost accidentally breaches some ages old sigil, then follow that Eldar (Farseer? Aspect Warrior? Halie?) until he meets his demise at the hand of an Ork... etc. Sort of episodic Filmmaking with maybe 30 to 45 minute segments, depending on budget for a single film or even a trilogy. Bring everything around full circle by having the second to last character killed by a cultist, and end with a guardsman killing him just like in the opening sequence. Blackout. Text on screen "In the grim darkness of the far future..." Blackout. "There is only war". Blackout. Roll credits.

Would be very close to the concept of a dark future, where no plan nor protagonist survives contact with the enemy and imense forces are pitted against each other in perpetual stalemate. Also allows such a film project to show pretty much all cultures of the universe from the inside, without something as contrived as the Medusa Campaign. Apart from 'Nids and 'crons maybe. But Orks, Eldar, Tau, the varying braches of humanity would work in this thing.

Oh, and if there was Gazhghul in this movie, Andy Serkis should be cast for the role. He should be used to getting big roles where you canīt see him in person on screen...

Lord Cook
04-01-2007, 20:15
C'mon people be realistic. If they made a film about the Horus Heresy they would never be able to do it justice. We would get a watered-down, miniature version of it that would leave us all feeling disappointed and annoyed, becuase we knew it should have been so much more spectacular than that. Besides, audiences would never relate to the god-like emperor and primarchs, and the zealous ultra-religious marines. The movie would flop.

They definately could NOT use orks or eldar without it being seen as a rip-off of LoTR. Necrons are right out of The Terminator and like someone said Tau are basically anime. 'Nids are starship troopers.

It would have to be between the Imperium and Chaos, but on a smaller scale, like one of the Gaunts Ghosts novels. Necropolis might work. Epic seige of an Imperial Hive city, with plenty of eye candy for those who like special effects. Any film is going to need something more than just "huge war lots of death", so using normal humans rather than marines opens up love interest, fear, human spirit, etc.

It would still be epic but they could fit it into one film and could actually do it justice. I'd rather see a single battle done really well than something like the Horus Heresy done really badly. And I gaurantee that's how it would be.

bloodlust
04-01-2007, 20:26
I voted Horus Heresy. Takeshi Kitano could be the director, and it could be set in a roped off section of Tokyo. In fact, it would be amazing if the whole thing was done in Japan. Japan is known for its ability to create hifi gore films on a low budget; imagine what they could do with British monetary support.

Kjell
04-01-2007, 20:29
They definately could NOT use orks or eldar without it being seen as a rip-off of LoTR. Necrons are right out of The Terminator and like someone said Tau are basically anime. 'Nids are starship troopers.

Weeeell... Not as such, no. Contrary to popular belief orks, eldar, necrons and tyranids are all sufficiently different to enough things to not be clear rip-offs. Especially if you put some more emphasis on their particular quirks.

Oh, and by the way, "anime" is not a specific series or trademark. It's the name of an entire style of animation! Well, it's the Japanese word for "animated shows/movies", but whatever...

Lord Cook
04-01-2007, 21:53
I know what anime is. It's just that I had no idea what the exact series/program was that formed the inspiration for Tau, although I have seen pictures from whatever it was that look exactly like battlesuits. I used 'anime' as a catch-all category. Apologies for my ignorance.

I understand what you're saying about the variations, but tyranids and imperial guard would be very highly reminiscent of starship troopers, IMHO. A good film, gave a lot of inspiration for tyranid paint schemes and guard fortifications.

And regardless of the difference between 40k Orks and LoTR Orcs, I think the name alone kind of leads people to conclusions right from the off.

And besides, I think Chaos is more original. Rather than yet another alien species hell bent on humanities destruction, chaos IS humanity, but corrupted. That somehow makes it far more evil than necrons or tyranids could ever be. The daemonic flavour of chaos really sets them apart and makes them fantastic 'bad guys'.

Colonel_Kreitz
04-01-2007, 22:23

The Horus Heresy gets my vote.

AHAHAHAHA! Now there's an idea. A 40K musical. Featuring such hits as...

Don't Cry For Me Armageddon (with Planetary Governor von Strab)
Hello Ghazghkull! (with Carol Channing as Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka)
Springtime for Horus (featuring Matthew Broderick as Horus and Nathan Lane as Abaddon)

Wow That would be hilarious. If someone actually wrote a 40K musical, I'd probably give him a nickel.

Kjell
04-01-2007, 22:31
You know, a 40K musical wouldn't have to be comedic. It'd be pretty odd, but still. If done properly (IE, a bit more abstract and showy than normal 40K) it could be quite interesting and even awesome.

Kromando33
04-01-2007, 22:41
Actually a Horus Heresy movie series done based on the new novels would work, the books did a great job in portraying the scene, especially the second one from the POV of Horus. The largest challenge would be making the space marines realistic and believable on screen though.

Mojaco
04-01-2007, 22:50
The first 40k movie ever shouldn't be a dramatic masterpiece. It should be the intro-movie of Dawn of War but 3 hours long. It should thrill people into seeing it multiple times and tell everyone of it, so it makes tons of money so later on more subtle films can also work.

Horus Heresy is the best since it requires a shorter introduction then any of the others.

But for just one movie I think the Battle for Magragge would work best. Not too complex and plenty of room for drama and battle between a clear good and evil side. Yes yes, the Imperium isn't the good guy, but for a movie that catters to everyone they'll have to be a lighter shade of grey then we know them to be.

Fal
04-01-2007, 22:52
1-Horus Heresy
2-Gaunt and his Tanith First
3-Schaeffer's Last Chancers
4-anything with the Raven Guard :p :D

guillimansknight
04-01-2007, 23:39
I voted Horus Heresy. Takeshi Kitano could be the director, and it could be set in a roped off section of Tokyo. In fact, it would be amazing if the whole thing was done in Japan. Japan is known for its ability to create hifi gore films on a low budget; imagine what they could do with British monetary support.

imagine what they could do with British monetary support.<-the british what?

also tokyo ..........................yeah thats realy hive city wtf:wtf: a scene from 40K shot in tokyo a high tech city somthing is not right maybe the fact th imperum is tech-phoabic (hehe wonder what would happen if they say the train.....HERITICS!!!"inquistor ramblings" blah blah blah .........)

Rlyehable
05-01-2007, 01:24

Which version? The original with the Tiger Claws, not sure if they went chaos or not; or the Astral Claws where there was no ambiguity? Personally I prefer the former.

The former (with ambiguity). :D

Chainsaw Guy
05-01-2007, 02:41
I would think that 15 Hours would make an excelllent movie. It's not a pointless "shoot 'em up" story, nor is it so bizare that audiences would not understand it with a minimal introduction to 40k. I can't picture R. Lee Ermy being sergent Ferres, desipite the fact that Ferres gets killed within the third charpter or so.

IncrediSteve
05-01-2007, 04:07
I say fall of Iyanden.

Though perhaps it could be a smattering of scenes, like the animatrix was [only not absolutely and completely sucking in every way possible like the animatrix did] with a bunch of cool things like Battle for MaCragge, Fall of Iyanden, Armageddon Highlights, The Badab war, etc.

Sikkukkut
05-01-2007, 04:35
None of the above. The best movies cover the same material as one short story and I think that it should be based on Missing in Action (my favorite GW story).

Agreed on the short story thing, although I'd say Ben Counter's "Daemonblood" would make better cinema.

Buddha777
05-01-2007, 07:59
I firmly belive that any 40k movie has to be a particular battle or instance that unfortunatley dosn't require alot of explaining. Movies that try to give to much backround or fail to get into any always fail cough* Dune cough*. Thus something like The Battle For Macragge for Armageddon would be required. Humans Vs. some big scary aliens is enough for audiences who know nothing of 40K to understand and would translate to more incentive to make. While I would of course love to see something like the Horus Hersay played out on film its not only unfeasable in terms of story telling due to the sheer number of characters, planets, etc, but also in terms of film coverage. Even a trilogy wouldn't do it justice.

Thanatos_elNyx
05-01-2007, 09:11
I voted Horus Heresy, but I seriously doubt they could do it justice in a 2/3 hour movie.

Zinge
05-01-2007, 11:36
How about, the birth and life of a primarch?

Witch Hunter
05-01-2007, 18:02
Another thought... An Inquisitor/Harlequin movie, the basis being the Inquisitor trying to stop some ancient chaotic evil, while the Harlies try to assist with info from the Black Library, or something similiar, and the inq. having to overcome his prejudice against the eldar to accept their help.

I agree, Fifteen Hours would be a great on film as well.

Reflex
05-01-2007, 23:12
i voted the 13th crusade... simply because its where the timeline is atm so it can be easyer to understand, instead of having this "the emperor and his primarchs etc etc..." we can have a simple "the god emperor of mankind sits on the golden thrown etc etc.." there is no real need for detail there... just that there is a guy who everyone belives in is sitting on earth half dead wile everyone fights in his name...

also the 13th has some potential to be alot less complicated.. "the of terror, where reality meets the warp, where Chaos will unit for yet another crusade, Abbadon blah blah blah..."

and it could be a 2 or 3 part series... Eldrad dies in number 3 or something, you have the Cadian Gate...

i think that if they did a movie (hoping they do but have a MEGA!!!! budget and make it uber awsome) that the horus heres would be a bit to complicated to do as of now... they could do something that is up to date, (13th crusade) then if its goes good at the box office, they could do the horus heresy.. but if there gonna do it they better do it soon...

tesseract
06-01-2007, 02:42
I would think that 15 Hours would make an excelllent movie. It's not a pointless "shoot 'em up" story, nor is it so bizare that audiences would not understand it with a minimal introduction to 40k. I can't picture R. Lee Ermy being sergent Ferres, desipite the fact that Ferres gets killed within the third charpter or so.

Word. This story would translate well to film, it would allow for great visuals and battle sequences (re-entry and friendly bombardment come to mind).
It could also convey a lot of very "imperial" themes (incompetence, blind loyalty, absolute faith).
If the book could cause 2 of my friends to start Guard armies, imagine how many boxes of plastic cadians they would sell if the movie was any decent.

Outlaw289
06-01-2007, 02:56
A Horus Heresy Trilogy. Salty pretty much said why. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1191091&postcount=3)

Diomedes
06-01-2007, 02:58
Has to be the Heresy for me, such a good story and making it into a trilogy would be amazing!

spacemonkey
06-01-2007, 03:06
I voted DoW, mostly because it would be hard to due the Horus Heresy justice when limited to film time. I think the movie would need its own storyline without an overt connections to the larger 40k universe, thus limiting the amount of backstory needed. The various DoW storylines fit the bill. Have to agree Chainsaw Guy and Witch Hunter that 15 Hours would make an excelllent movie. Thats what I first thought when I read it. Short, plenty of action, and minimium complecations.

Outlaw289
06-01-2007, 03:58
Who voted for the Age of Apostasy?

Goq Gar
06-01-2007, 07:54
Ive said it before, and i'll say it again. A MOVIE IS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO THE HOBBY!

Reasoning:
1) It will be like the snotty kid noob flood LOTR invited, times 100.

2) It will advertise our semi-secluded hobby to all forms of trouble makers, who will inevitably turn up at stores to ridicule and abuse.

3) They would never make it a good film, just a commercialised film.

4) If it wasn't computer animated, then it would probably look horrible, or cheesie.

5) It would only have 2 races in it, 3 if we're lucky. Would be ABSOLUTELY unfluffy, and of course, cause the 40k background forum to explode.

You should have an option saying "dont".

Arch-Traitor Horus
06-01-2007, 08:35
DOW would be easy and they already have the system in place to make an animated movie i likes the start to dark crusade i thought that was good enough graphics to be mad into an entire move

Reflex
06-01-2007, 08:57
Ive said it before, and i'll say it again. A MOVIE IS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO THE HOBBY!

Reasoning:

2) It will advertise our semi-secluded hobby to all forms of trouble makers, who will inevitably turn up at stores to ridicule and abuse.

4) If it wasn't computer animated, then it would probably look horrible, or cheesie.

5) It would only have 2 races in it, 3 if we're lucky. Would be ABSOLUTELY unfluffy, and of course, cause the 40k background forum to explode.

You should have an option saying "dont".

i have to agree with you though... most because they wouldent make a good film, they would make a reletivly poor film. although people can come to the store and abuse you, nothing says f off like 4 security guard.. (oh yes, it has happened before).. the snotty nosed little kids dont worry me... be more fun to see perents flush away money and watch me beat there kid sensless with there ****** lists and poorly poorly painted army... ;) :D :p :cool:

Daemon king Mad Dog
06-01-2007, 09:23
Where is the other option? Hmmm?

I voted... 13th black crusade, i think (Voted then read the topic, forgot what i voted for! :( ) but I'd love to see a gaunts ghost or space wolf film series, like band fo brothers was, 2 hours per film... hmmm... Mesa thinking becomeing film producer... Nah, too much liek hard work :P

Reflex
06-01-2007, 10:13
Where is the other option? Hmmm?

I voted... 13th black crusade, i think (Voted then read the topic, forgot what i voted for! :( ) but I'd love to see a gaunts ghost or space wolf film series, like band fo brothers was, 2 hours per film... hmmm... Mesa thinking becomeing film producer... Nah, too much liek hard work :P

ummm BoB was only 1 hour per *film* or episode...

but i do think that they could make a small mini series not as such a movie... Gaunts Ghosts would be pretty cool to see animated.. kind of like what they did for the clone wars in star wars... i wouldent like a big movie though... a small series fed to our community would be much nicer...

Daemon king Mad Dog
06-01-2007, 12:47
I meant a Series of films like BoB. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

susu.exp
06-01-2007, 13:12

Reasoning:

Not if they donīt get the movie.

Not if they donīt get the movie.

Thatīs a good point. But for the sake of argument: Letīs suppose they made a good movie, with David Lynch directing (not Peter Jackson. Somebody hand that guy a copy of "Guards Guards" quickly) and Weta doing the effect stuff. Prize at Cannes, barely makes itīs money back...

Depends on who did it. Thereīs an awfully low number of good FX studios which actually do solid design. WETA and ILM. The only CG movie aimed at a crowd older than 6 years old was Final Fantasy and that didnīt work out that well. Full CG means youīll get Monsters Inc. with Bloodthirsters...

See my post above. Episode filmmaking. Death of a row of main characters. Would work both as a representation of 40k and as interesting filmmaking. Would work as a Lynchlike project (fuga-system). Would be a cineastic classic and give us intellectual noobs, rather than the bottom of the barrel. Will never be made, but would rock.

Briscoe
06-01-2007, 21:30
Have Mel Gibson direct a Horus Heresy movie. Even have him play the emprorer as he just loves to play christ-like figures. Through in some antisemitism as well... purge the unclean and whatnot.

In all honesty I can't see a warhammer movie being anything more than a crapfest like that awful sci-fi movie with john travolta, the D&D movie a few years back or the modern yucky eragon. warhammer could have only lived on screen in the 80's when you could make over-the-top fantasy and sci-fi movies.

Norminator
06-01-2007, 21:36
I think that if a Horus Heresy movie was made something would need to anchor it to the 40k setting. Maybe starting with a battle, a Chaos marine gets captured and starts narrating what happened in the Heresy... film begins proper (a bit like Titanic, so the storytelling doesn't infringe on the narrative).

Personally though, I think the Space Wolf novels would translate best to a film. They're written in a way that a completely uninitiated person could understand them (finding out about the 40k universe as Ragnar does), plus it's really cool :D

Warlord Kyle
06-01-2007, 23:44
i picked medusa5 because it would be awsome to put all the races and armies in one movie, but i can't believe "THE BATTLE FOR MACGREE":evilgrin:
what better way to immortalize the 40k universe on the silver screen then to have the space marines lose some of their finest to the beloved nids:angel:
(the only problem may be, some will think its riping off starship troopers)

Hellebore
07-01-2007, 01:36
Personally, I think that the Horus Heresy is attainable in a tv miniseries (say, 6 2-hour features) with todays cgi.

Stargate and Battlestar Galactica both have huge budgets per episode, and by making a miniseries you concentrate that budget per season into a single one, whilst also maintaining the integrity of the story.

I've always had a nice intro scene idea:

Camera sweeps into galaxy, into cluster, into system. Moves past planets, past space ships. Space ships fire at each other as camera passes THROUGH ship, showing thousands of toiling crew - all obliterated in seconds.

Camera pans across HUNDREDS of that same ship - showing the huge potential loss of life.

Camera goes into orbit around a planet being bombarded by ships. Follows bomb to surface, seeing a huge continent covering the screen, half of it is dark like an enourmous forest.

Camera gets closer, and we see the forest MOVE. Bomb lands in the middle of a BILLION orks, creating a tiny gap that is quickly smothered in more orks.

They are all moving toward an imperial gunline.

With 40k the spectacle I think would be in the sheer SIZE of everything - LotR's 10,000 urak-hai looked impressive - imagine ten MILLION orks.

Battles would be enormous, and the sheer destructive power of the weapons used would enormous.

There is also quite a range of character types in the universe - they aren't all 2 dimensional, and the tragedy of the HH would probably add a bit of credibility to what would otherwise just be a military scifi film.

Hellebore

jazzdude78
07-01-2007, 05:28
THis poll fails for lack of armageddon
you can open with something like the 1st/2nd war go into orks building up for the credits and take it from there

vampires are cool!
07-01-2007, 11:06
I'm starting to like the idea of Tommy Lee Jones as Yarrick - thoughts?

Reflex
07-01-2007, 12:42
I'm starting to like the idea of Tommy Lee Jones as Yarrick - thoughts?

i was thinking john wayne.... :p

hiveminion
07-01-2007, 13:57
Ug! No famous actors, please...

I can see Silvester Stalone as a Space Marine Captain: "I know no fjear"
Tommy Lee Jones as Yarrick: "Well whip yer ass down there and get 'em"
Ha! Clint Eastwood as Inquisitor: "Did ye say something, punkh?"

I think I'm going to throw up now...

Tyron
07-01-2007, 14:18
i was thinking john wayne.... :p

"Now you git running forward or i'll shoot ya" - just picturing him saying that to a guardsmen.

susu.exp
07-01-2007, 14:46
The only actor I could see as a 40k character with no second thought is:
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5103/Events/5103/HughLaurie_Grani_10081514_400.jpg.html?path=pgalle ry&path_key=Laurie,&#37;20Hugh
As Eisenhorn.
Dennis Hopper would make a good Horus.
And if a movie had Sisters in it: Ally Sheedy.

hiveminion
07-01-2007, 14:56
That's that guy from "House"!

He's that kind of man who'd say: "Hey how are you? Oh wait, I don't care"

Yeah, I can see him as a 40k character:D

Some guy (UK)
07-01-2007, 14:58
A Squad, possibly small platoon of Imperial Guardsmen, and they're story in a much larger conflict, aka Band of Brothers.

2_heads_talking
07-01-2007, 17:26
Hmm...

At a pinch, I'd choose the Horus Heresy. I don't think any of the others would work, as you couldn't explain the background in any depth that folk would understand. The 13th Black Crusade? Armageddon? Sure, they'd be a visual feast for the eyes, but how long would it take for you to explain the motivations of the Chaos Space Marines so that people actually saw them as more than the "spiky bad guys"?

Armageddon, too, would need you to explain the original war, then explain what the Imperium and the Orks are. I know people here will probably have quick answers for these, but try writing a screenplay trying to fit this into a three-hour film, without confusing or boring your audience? The alternative is a total action-fest that has no substance.

As such, the Horus Heresy could be the only real contender. You have the start of the Imperium, people would quickly grasp the idea of Humanity building itself from the ashes of their predessors' mistakes, and you could explain the Space Marines, the Imperial Guards AND Chaos.

Also, to whoever mentioned the War in Heaven, what serious film do you remember that did well lately and didn't involve any human characters at all?

Tyron
07-01-2007, 20:24
The problem doing a film with the HH is the fact it will lose all the mystery all of us like and makes 40k what we love. Everything will have to be set in stone, including the 2 missing Legions, what the Emperor looks like and the other Primarchs, the Imperial Palace, and the rest.

Also the HH is told from so many points of views it would be difficult to tell it from one which would cater everyone. This will also not please everyone and cause such a split in the community it will tear is apart.

Also to get the whole HH it would have to be 6 films or ever 9. The story is just too be to be told in 6 hours (3 films 2 hours each). You could push each film to 3 hours but 3 films wouldn’t be enough to get it all crammed in.

The Shaman gather together and decide their fate and that of the human race. They then do mass suicide and all die.

The Emperor is born in Anatolia and shows scene of him living among them and discovering his powers and living life throughout human history with a final scene in the 21st century (2007) looking up into the sky “I will conquer you all….in time”.

Then a scene with earth in anarchy war everywhere think Mad Max/Escape from New York and al that (you know what I mean).. A few scenes around the world showing the state of what it is in.

The next scene with the Emperor working deep in the Himalayan mountains with his scientists finalising the Primarchs as a success explaining to Malcador the situation in the galaxy and the need for the Primarchs. Then the vortex begins with sirens going off, the Emperor and Malcador rushing into the room, you see the pods being sucked, he can do nothing but stops vortex after they all scatter. He turns to Malcador “No..no…they have found my motives I have no time”.

Then you see him with the first batch of Marines fighting against gangs, armies ect destroying them, with the Emperor fighting alongside them. A few more of him arriving in places saving people from occupation ect, all in all uniting mankind.

After many more scenes you see him ruling earth, renaming it Terror and naming himself the Emperor, with Malcador at his side on the announcement stage in front of the world he whispers in his hear “First earth and soon mars”.

There is much more I can think of for the first film and the other 5 but would take forever to write, however you get the idea, though here is a run down of it.

1 - Shaman die, the Emperor is born and conquers earth, heads to mars and forms an alliance with the Mechanicum announcing the Great Crusade.

2 – The Emperor leads his Crusade to Cthonia finding Horus. The whole film will be based on these two where he finds him as a small boy raising him as his own and then preparing him for his role to play in the Imperium. The bonding they forge which will separate them in the end.

More to come another time.

Chimera
07-01-2007, 21:01
It has to be the Horus Heresy, really.

Just 'headline' it Dawn of War, to get the tie-in there. The only problem with a 40K movie is that, to do it properly, the budget would need to be spectacular. This means it would have to appeal to the mainstream cinema-going audience. Add to that that a really bad, high budget movie makes for a lot of negative press - something GW could do without - makes this even less likely.

Shame really. I just want to see hundred of Space Marines and millions of IGs tramping across a blasted cityscape, nuking heretics. Oh, and a goodly number of immense space battles.

And tanks, lots of tanks.

launish116
07-01-2007, 21:36
what about film based on 13th legion,kill team, anhililation squad based on the stories of penal legions, it was based on the dirty dozen film wernt it? so why not make a more up to date version base don the books?

Carcass
08-01-2007, 00:54
horus herecy.
but i would like to see it in series ( like 20 episodes minimum, and this only for the first book of the so-far trilogy), not a movie.

after the 3 seasons , they can continue on other 40k events :)