PDA

View Full Version : When do Squigs *explode*?

Festus
04-01-2007, 09:29
Hi

Just as the title says:

When exactly do Squig Herd's go wild if beaten and broken in Combat?

As soon as they lose combat?
After they fail their Break Test?
After they make their Flee/Pursuit rolls (and thus are slain on the spot)?
At any other time?

Greetings and thanks
Festus

stashman
04-01-2007, 10:09
"If the unit flees, or if at the start of the controlling players turn there are no herders alive in the unit, the squigs go wild."

A failed break test makes them flee and on the spot the go wild.

At the start of a turn and there are no herders (shooten, magic etc.) the go wild on the spot.

I think this is how to use them according to the rules.

T10
04-01-2007, 10:50
It seems the most likely that they go wild immediately upon failing their Break test as this is the point where it is clear that they are fleeing.

I'd support the idea that one might be able to destroy the unit before it went wild if the rules specified that this was done at the end of their flee move.

However, as it stands it seems that the going wild effect is instead of the flee move - i.e. it happens instead of rolling the Flee! distance.

Does this sound reasonable?

-T10

Festus
04-01-2007, 11:23
Hi

Does this sound reasonable?
As reasonable as most of your posts, I think :D

Yes, but I see the flee/pursuit roll to come before the actual fleeing, thus the unit may be slaughtered on the spot before it explodes. This may be wishful thinking, though...

Festus

Da GoBBo
04-01-2007, 14:22
I seem to recall that you were one of the people that said you don't actually need squigs for the unit to dish out damage. If that line of reasoning is correct (still not convinced :) ), I'd say that whatever's the case, you still do damage.

- If the unit flees, it deals damage, whether we have squigs or not
- If the unit flees, it deals damage, whether the unit gets trampled or not

Other than this, I think the wild suigrule is supposed to represent the squigs fleeing away from their bossy herders ones their backs are turned. In the proces of getting away, they kill the herders and a lot of minis around them (this is their reaction to the gobbo's fleeing I guess). The enemy unit should still be able to make a pursuit roll, nothing in the wild squig rule prevents that.

In short: 1) herd explodes 2) enemy makes a pursuitmove.

Can't really back it up, but it seems logic, both rule and gamewise

Festus
04-01-2007, 14:32
Hi

In short: 1) herd explodes 2) enemy makes a pursuitmove.

Can't really back it up, but it seems logic, both rule and gamewise
But if the Squig Herd explodes before the flee / pursuit roll, there is no unit left to pursue, so there will not be a pursue, as there is no unit to pursue, as there is no unit to flee.... see BRB, p. 40, 43.

You may not pursue if there is no unit to pursue. You may only overrun. But you may not overrun if it is not the turn you charged the unit.

So this in effect means that a Squig Herd which charges will always at least explode if it loses (if you want to have Squigs to explode, just make up a front rank of Gobbos ;) )

Making matters worse, I fear.

Festus

Milgram
04-01-2007, 16:49
(if you want to have Squigs to explode, just make up a front rank of Gobbos ;) )

no need for... if you go raw. we had the discussion... ;)