PDA

View Full Version : A beginner's 2,000 point Empire army.

Makarion
04-01-2007, 09:35
Hello everyone,

Being fairly new and all that to the WFB scene, I was hoping for some commentary on this rather cookie-cutter army list. I know it's likely far from original, but I'm trying to learn here, so any and all constructive commentary would be much appreciated. Also, due to the changes between the old and the new army book (which I should have in two days' time, :p ), I can only estimate as to the point totals. I am pretty sure this adds up to about 1,950 points, so there's some room for maneuvering.

Grand Master w/ hammer of judgement
9 IC knights w/ full command and Banner of Arcane Warding (or Warbanner)

Warrior Priest w/ Enchanted Shield and VHS
24 Swordsmen w/ full command
+ circa 7 archers as a skirmish line
+10 halbardiers

25 Swordsmen w/ full command
+10 free company
+5 handgunners

12 handgunners w/ musician

12 handgunners w/ musician

6 outriders w/ sergeant

1 cannon

1 cannon

battlewizard lvl 2 w/ 2 dispell scrolls

Major question: is this army spread too thin in what it tries to do? I love my big blocks of infantry above all, but I don't have the models for a third block (I used all but some spearmen), and I don't think the addition of a 'hammer' unit of knights will hurt too much. Normally, I wouldn't field so many handgunners, but it's pretty much the only way to reach 2,000 points without adding named characters, which I am not too eager to do; I prefer low-magic, low-character armies, so I am already stretching myself some.

Minor question one: does the army have enough counter-magic, or should I consider adding a second warrior priest at the cost of the 2nd level of the wizard? I thought that the second level might make him a feasible foil for opponents' dispel-dice, so I could sneak a prayer or two through. Even contemplated adding the Ring of Volans, but it didn't make the cut for now.

Minor question two: how important is the ubiquitous captain on a pegasus these days? I gather it used to be a mainstay of Empire armies, but no one mentions it anymore...

So, please add some commentary if you all would. I'm trying to become a worthwhile addition to the scene, and although I can figure out background and story-elements over time, I'll have to give a showing for the Empire with dice in hand from the start.

DesertDirge
04-01-2007, 15:12
I like your list! remember in this edition magic is risky (or I thought) so you don't need to necessarily have a scroll caddy/more dice.

2 big blocks plus your knights should be enough.

JackSmithIV
04-01-2007, 15:25
It is a pretty good list, I must say. The only thing I'm not sure of is your two units of handgunners. If you're going to use support fire, use crossbows. Handgunners are better for detachments because they do their damage at a shorter range. For support fire, you need them stationary, which means distance, which means crossbows.

I also don't understand the point you made about how it was the only thing you could do without using named characters. There's plenty of options for the army that you're not using. Otherwise it's a fairly solid list. And the magic protection is just fine.

-IV

Makarion
04-01-2007, 15:46
It is a pretty good list, I must say. The only thing I'm not sure of is your two units of handgunners. If you're going to use support fire, use crossbows. Handgunners are better for detachments because they do their damage at a shorter range. For support fire, you need them stationary, which means distance, which means crossbows.

I also don't understand the point you made about how it was the only thing you could do without using named characters. There's plenty of options for the army that you're not using. Otherwise it's a fairly solid list. And the magic protection is just fine.

-IV

Oh, to clarify: what I meant was that I don't have the models to field 2,000 points with less or no handgunners, unless I start including special characters, which I generally avoid.

I've found the armour piercing on the handgunners to be very nice indeed, but that may have to do with my local opponents (currently a boyz-heavy orc list and a saurus-heavy lizardmen list). Move or shoot is a penalty I have quickly come to regret, but I have only 10 models I can build as crossbowmen (instead of handgunners) - all others are 6th edition ones I already assembled.

Would it be feasible to do away with the wizard alltogether and get an extra warriorpriest for the second swordsman unit? No dispel scrolls make me a bit nervous, since the orc player has been known to play with 3 goblin shamans. I haven't encountered anything that magic-heavy yet first-hand, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Of course, he has almost no other ranged combat, and my infantry is easily equal to his, unless he really plonks for extensive toys or black orcs.

The lizardman player has a retired woodelf army I hope he'll dust off; I'd love to test my mettle against that. Flyers could pose a problem, but unless he brings a lot of dryads and treemen, I think he'll have serious problems with my cavalry :) .