PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings v Ogres Help please

arkle
04-01-2007, 14:02
I'm playing my friend tomorro at the store using his Tomb Kings while he uses his other army Ogres. The game is at 2000pts and I need to tell him which troops to bring for me tomorro.
For his tomb Kings he has; 3 chariots, 60 archers, bone giant, 8 horsemen, 4 swarms, 2 tomb scorpions and casket of souls. I can also take some ogres as dogs of war mercenaries if needed.
My current thoughts are;
Liche High Priest
Liche Priest
3 chariots with standard, and prince
2 blocks of 30 archers or proxy them as warriors with hand weapon and shields
Bone Giant
4 tomb swarms as they have poison
Two tomb scorpions
maybe use the cavalry as heavy

All help welcome

gukal
04-01-2007, 14:48
Ogres want to be in combat with undead core troops (Bulls with extra weapons will chew through basic skeletons very quickly). Don't make that your plan unless you want a challenging game.

Fear and killing blow are crippled in this matchup. Consider them worthless.

Ogres struggle against lots of shooting and magic. If you want the most probable win. Take all the archers. Take the casket. Take solid magic.

Avoid his Tyrant (who will most likely be bringing the ever-lethal Tenderizer).

- Gukal

DesertDirge
04-01-2007, 14:57
Looks like a good list.. Id maybe use one unit of 20 archers and one unit of 30 warriors. If nothing else to tarpit him.

Neknoh
04-01-2007, 16:37
Take the Casket
Field archers in smaller units, but loads of archers
Bring Khalida

arkle
04-01-2007, 16:55
Last time i used the tomb kings I used the casket and 3 units of 20 archers however the ogres just steam rollered through the archers units. While the casket didn't do anything all game although granted I didn't have the chariots or tomb scorpains available to me last time. My friend isn't the greatest player he tends to favour big units of ogres say 8 big, although that was under 6th edition rules. Maybe i will squeese the casket in its just last time I didn't have a hill in my deployment zone and it had no impact on the game.

Neknoh
04-01-2007, 17:26
If you don't have a hill, then place the casket so that everything that threatens your front line CAN draw Line of Sight to it, trust me, Ogre Leadership + Casket of Souls = Massive losses

Also, if you have Queen Khalida in the army, those Archers will be a BIT more useful, half of their hits will have poison, so, per every 6 archers firering, you are guaranteed 1 wound statistically

Asentaja
04-01-2007, 17:43
Bone Giant, Ushabti and TK with Destroyer of Eternities + Cloak of Dunes could be some units that can beat the ogres pretty well in close combat.

DeathlessDraich
04-01-2007, 19:25
It depends on his Ogre army composition.

1)The strongest type against TK will be an MSU Ogre army - approx. 8/9 units of 3. 3 butchers and a Tyrant. Against this you can win by magic and CR but you must manouevre with caution. 3 Liche Priests and a Tomb King is a must.

2) A casket and a SSC will certainly help but beware of his Gorger which will easily destroy both. You'll need a Scorpion at least to deal with the Unbreakable Gorger.

3) At least 1 unit of Tomb Guard with Banner of Undying Legion will provide static CR to win combat.

4) You are only guaranteed a win in combat if you can get a flank charge. Use magic for this, especially with chariots.

5) Cavalry will be useless and Tomb Swarms won't have a role because there will be no warmachines.

6) Expect to be in combat by turn 2. There's not much opportunity for shooting. Use a small unit of bowmen to deflect his frontal assault.

7) Most importantly, keep your units close together to ensure you're within range of Incantations, play defensively and make sure your important units are 12" away from his.

Chiron
04-01-2007, 20:09
Tomb swarms would be useful to hold at least 1 unit in place, just reduce the number of bases down to 2 at the most

arkle
04-01-2007, 23:41
1)The strongest type against TK will be an MSU Ogre army - approx. 8/9 units of 3. 3 butchers and a Tyrant. Against this you can win by magic and CR but you must manouevre with caution. 3 Liche Priests and a Tomb King is a must.

He isn't the greatest of list makers he will no doult have between 2-4 large units of ogres and 2 max. butchers

2) A casket and a SSC will certainly help but beware of his Gorger which will easily destroy both. You'll need a Scorpion at least to deal with the Unbreakable Gorger.

He isn't a fan or gorgers

3) At least 1 unit of Tomb Guard with Banner of Undying Legion will provide static CR to win combat.

As noted in my intro i don't have access to tomb guard as he doesn't own any

4) You are only guaranteed a win in combat if you can get a flank charge. Use magic for this, especially with chariots.

Hopefully, last time i played him i managed to get my swarms on a flank and poison did the rest. However as he uses large units of ogres they can often break me on the charge and he usually uses a scrap launcher or two as well.

5) Cavalry will be useless and Tomb Swarms won't have a role because there will be no warmachines.

The cavalry was only a thought as something extra to hit a flank, tomb swarms have already been explained.

6) Expect to be in combat by turn 2. There's not much opportunity for shooting. Use a small unit of bowmen to deflect his frontal assault.

Yes those ogres do close fast, should i include queen khalida and if so small units of archers, although that will mean no anvil unit, or two large blocks of thirty which i move together as he closes? The trick I used with queen khalida last time was her magic item which stop a unit from moving, I was able to hold up part of his battle line which gave me more shooting time.

7) Most importantly, keep your units close together to ensure you're within range of Incantations, play defensively and make sure your important units are 12" away from his.

The first time i played this list i failed slightly in this area

Alathir
05-01-2007, 00:19
I would equip your Tomb king with the flail of skulls... causing double wounds will tear those fat bastards apart.

Malleus8
05-01-2007, 16:25
take the casket of souls, the archers can always be reformed into warrior blocks, if the need arises i dont think you'd need their equipment though since the ogres will destroy them anyhow if they get in base to base. thats why i say beef up on magic and shooting and rely on manerverability and such units.