PDA

View Full Version : Old memories.

Lestat
04-01-2007, 15:49
Nope this isn't a thread about how much better the game was in the old days, how rubbish things are now. Or anything like that.
Pretty much just be sharing an old memory of a game I had a while back.
I havn't been in to 40K for a long, long time, I've had maybe 3/4 games since 3rd came about. But after finding my old elder army in the attic a while back I've started to actually play a few games now. And in the main been enjoying them.
Anyway the old memory that was sparked from finding said army.

I'm not sure how long ago this was, but I know it was under rouge trader rules, and its got to be one of the most sureal moments I've ever seen ever in 40K. 2 armies, 3,000 points each, marine verus marine.
Set up was done a little differently, a roe of large boxes was put down the centre of the battlefield and both armies set up in blindness to each other.
After set up is complete comes the surprise. One army has what you would expect to see, lots of infantry squads, set up in decent position. Assault marines hugging cover, ready to leap to the next to get closer to the enemy. Devistator squads on hills or buildings, to have maximum field of fire for their heavy weapons. Also around where tanks, surport platforms, dreads and the like. The other marine army not so typical. All that set up where 10 hiding techmarines and the must have captain, minimally armed and also hiding.
With a confused look the more typical army takes the first turn and starts to move towards the very brief amount of enemies they could.
The other marine armies turn comes, all the techmarines move from hiding into the open. Then in the shooting phase they act as spotters as over 2,500 points of off table plasma surport bombards the battlefield.
After the phase has ended, their is nothing left of the more 'normal' marine army, as all thats standing alive are 2 techmarines and the still hiding marine captain. Pretty much everything including scenery had been completely vapourised.

Still brings a smile to my face today when I think about it.
So anyone else got any old or for that matter new memories, that are either funny, sad, or well just memorable?

lord_blackfang
04-01-2007, 15:57
That sounds incredibly cool and incredibly lame at the same time!

IJW
04-01-2007, 16:06
I remember an almost identical game, although I think it was ginormous Vortex missiles as fire support, rather than Plasma.

Squats on Powerboards for the win, though!

UncleCrazy
04-01-2007, 16:08
LOL, I played in 2nd ed. And I can tell you how bad votex was. Not so much as it killing troops but having to remember everything that had holes through it.

Could my troop walk through a hill. Although Votex and plasma could change the way the game played out, I must say I don't miss them.

TheEndIsHere
04-01-2007, 16:19
OMG how does that work is it like Orbital barrage? but like 20 of them with a massive blast *forge world biggest blast template 7"* That would be sweet as hell!!! omg I want that toy!!! *and the rules...*

*faints and falls off a cliff in water with shakrs that diggest me and then I get reincarnated in cow crap so I get fed to the plants who are eaten by antillopes who then lions eat but then the lions die of hunger cause they can't find more chocolate so the elephants are happy and run over the dead lion's body and squish them in the ground untill the emperor comes and eat the dirt with the lions in it and grow and 30 000 yrs later he almost gets killed and is put in a throne that is a big toilet seat then after the necrons comes and kill him but leaves him there so the nids come and eat them but them I wake up and it was all a dream...*

Wow random...

TheEndIsHere

IJW
04-01-2007, 16:31
OMG how does that work is it like Orbital barrage?
Something like that, but you paid per 1" radius effect if I remember correctly.

EDIT - Plasma Bombs had a fixed radius but broke into several sub-munitions, each of which was roughly equivalent to a Demolisher Cannon, other support missiles were basically scaled up versions of normal grenades and missiles, e.g. 10 x Frag for a 20" radius effect...

Catferret
04-01-2007, 16:46
I remember the old days of hidden set up too. The box method was common or one person setting up and putting a sheet or towel over their army. Made for an interesting game. Like Fog of War I guess.

On the subject of silly Techmarine armies in Rogue Trader, what about them being armed with Graviton Guns!!! They were great. No damage but the model was out of the game! Bye bye Avatar or Greater Daemon!

machine_recovered_meat
04-01-2007, 17:12
Great anecdote :)

One from Rogue Trader days - Can't remember the precise details like points values,
but was watching a game of Imperial Guard vs Realm of Chaos Double Hard Chaos Marines/Warbands/Daemons,
fully expecting the Guard to get creamed in a few turns - however,
a pile of points heavy sanctioned psykers, a scratchbuilt baneblade and some other choice artillery pieces [thudd guns, mole mortars, tarantulas etc]
and the judicious application of 'temporal distortion' four times per Guard turn -
'Oh, I guess I'd like to repeat my shooting phase [again]'

It lasted about 4 turns before the RoC army was fubar'd.

Vortex grenades/missiles used to be great fun too.

monkphish
05-01-2007, 00:23
Ive got a good one from 2nd edition, i drew the virus outbreak event card at the begining of the game and it wiped out 2/3rds of my buddies genestealercult army before turn 1 :D

After that awsome display of biological warfare my swooping hawk exarch allways carried a virus grenade for suicide virus bombing :D

dr vompire
05-01-2007, 16:38
i got remarkably pissed off with my brother playing 2nd edition one night. my orks verses his guard 2000 points each, after taking an age to set up my perfectly honed orks ready to do the screaming torpedos of buggy death (they would die and then spend the game out of control running over guardsmen)my brother plays brilliant strategy, gets first turn and his commissar teleports accross the table and drops a virus bomb. best part of 2 hours completely wasted...

UncleCrazy
05-01-2007, 17:22
"Ive got a good one from 2nd edition, i drew the virus outbreak event card at the begining of the game and it wiped out 2/3rds of my buddies genestealercult army before turn 1

After that awsome display of biological warfare my swooping hawk exarch allways carried a virus grenade for suicide virus bombing "

God I happen to my IG soo many times Not fun when you whole army dies before the game starts..... That and the Nid tables.....

My Gaming group stoped using all per game Events.... My SM friend hated the IG Bombardments LOL

Captain Brown
05-01-2007, 17:54
What is with all the bad memories about the game? One shot wonder weapons destroying opponents were never that fun. :eyebrows:

One of the best games I ever had was playing 'Battle at the Farm' from Rogue Trader with friends. It was always a fall back if we had an hour or two extra after a gaming session. As our armies grew we replaced the paper cut outs with models. It just never seemed to get old and we always swapped sides to keep things fresh. I believe our final tally was each side beating the other an equal number of times.

CB

ImhotepMagi
05-01-2007, 18:02
Back in 2nd I was playing a game using my Eldar vs Marines. My unit of Fire Dragons rolled up close on an unlucky Predator and opened fire. I snapped the tank's axle (God I loved those detailed damage tables) and the thing flipped and scattered right onto the FD unit, killing every last one of them. I was laughing so hard I was literally on the floor.

I also remember by scythed jetbiking exarch of doom that would just ride past units lopping off heads with his executioner. Ahhh...good times...

ImhotepMagi

DrDoom
05-01-2007, 18:02
On the subject of silly Techmarine armies in Rogue Trader, what about them being armed with Graviton Guns!!! They were great. No damage but the model was out of the game! Bye bye Avatar or Greater Daemon!

I hated that gun with a passion. Although were Greater Damons were immune to it, it kept killing my expensive Chaos Lords and Exalted Champs.

Son of the Lion
05-01-2007, 18:03
I remember playing my first game of RT on the cardboard street layouts that came with the Judge Dredd RPG cos we didn't have any interesting terrain. The next game was played on an old pool table using busted bits of stereo and polystyrene packaging. Awesome.

As for 2nd ed, we had a variety of old plastic ping pong type balls cut in half and painted black to represent Vortex markers. We needed 'em too - the most ridiculous incident was a 5-player rumble on a 4'x8' board that had (I think) eight vortex templates whirling around....