PDA

View Full Version : Conflict UK Army Lists

Atrahasis
04-01-2007, 16:54
The UK regional tournaments this season are using the Doubles format I suggested and was used for the UK Doubles Tournament last year, namely an alliance of two 750 point forces which, when viewed together, conform to the army selection criteria for a single 1500 point force (ie 1-3 heroes, 2+ core, 0-3 special, 0-1 rare).

I'm posting this here rather than in Army Lists because I'm more interested in a discussion of army selection as a process and concept than with specific lists.

The previous Conflict format (2 border patrols) favoured all-skirmishing lists very heavily, especially lizardmen who could circumvent the "1 war machine" restriction with their monsters.

This format (as I hope was proven at the Doubles) is far closer to standard Warhammer and therefore allows far greater variation in selection.

My question is this - what pairs of armies and army types wdo people feel are effective/interesting? The allowed alliances are fairly standard Good/Evil separations.

Mordu22
04-01-2007, 17:44
War machine heavy dwarves, and Brets would be a pretty powerfull one two punch I would think.

fearchanges
04-01-2007, 17:53
the same tournament is also hold here in the Netherlands next week sunday (14 jan.), but it is 1200 per team. I'm joining with my empire and my partner with dwarfs; a medium shooting and a few blocks of infantry and knights.
Other combinations I saw where O&G and skaven, Dark elves & Skaven, Ogres & Chaos undiv.
We were also thinking of joining with a Beastmen and Dark elves combo, al lot of fast moving units and skirmish.
Another combo I would like to try was Lizzies and Woodies, yet again a lot skirmish, but also shooting.

Atrahasis
04-01-2007, 19:25
the same tournament is also hold here in the Netherlands next week sunday (14 jan.), but it is 1200 per team. I'm joining with my empire and my partner with dwarfs; a medium shooting and a few blocks of infantry and knights.That was a popular combination at teh Doubles in the UK last year.

Other combinations I saw where O&G and skaven,Another popular combination - Skaven provide deadly shooting and cheap blocks, Orcs provide heavy hitters and cheap blocks. Nasty.

Dark elves & SkavenThat could get really nasty. A skaven/DE gunline would be the sickest army I have ever borne witness to I think.

Ogres & Chaos undiv.Not sure about this one. It could be a lot of fun, but I think I'd ratehr go for Ogres and Beasts, to get some cheap raiders as support for the hard-hitting fear causers.

We were also thinking of joining with a Beastmen and Dark elves combo,That could be very interesting indeed. Difficult to use effectively but devestating when the balance is found. My brother plays Beasts as one of his armies (as do I) and I was thinking of starting DE, so I might give this a shot.

Another combo I would like to try was Lizzies and Woodies, yet again a lot skirmish, but also shooting.I and my partner for last year's conflicts used WE and Lizards there, and they work very well together. Too well for a lot of people's tastes.

fearchanges
06-01-2007, 16:17
I don't know how it's gonna end, maybe it it's possible that I will write some info after the tournament how it all ended.

The O&G and skaven player are 2 guys in my gaming group and yes indeed we played a few games against each other, very nast list they have;

for skaven: 2 warlock engineers, one with the storm deamon of course

2 blocks of 20 Clanrats with both warpfire throwers
2 blocks of 20 slaves
2 block of 4 globaldiers

7 jezzails
a unit of gutter runner unnel team

Warp Lightning Cannon

for O&G: 1 black orc big boss with a killing blow item and shield
1 Orc big boss as BSB and heavy armour, with the banner to get dispel dice for each rank in the unit he joins (don't know the name)

1 unit 25 Orc boys with double handweapons (I think), the BSB joins this unit
1 unit of 10 orc arrer Boyz
2 unit of 20 Night Gobbo's archers with each 1 fanatic

1 unit of 20 Black Orcs with the banner of Butchery
1 unit of 6 squig herds

1 Goblin Doom Diver.

All units have full Command, except the Slaves, night gobbo's and Orc arrer boyz.

we've had a though time against them; 3 games and 1 solid defeat, 1 minor defeat and 1 draw. they won 2 times the objective of those games...
After that we've relooked with our opponents and addapted our lists and had to send them to the organisation because of the deadline, so who knows how this is gonna end.

Von Wibble
06-01-2007, 16:28
I think wood elves and empire could make a powerful combination. Empire provide cheap shooting and foot units with rank boni, whilst WE have the nuits to deliver the coup de grace (in addition to their annoyance strategies). Either of these teamed with bretonnians could be nasty as well.

Atrahasis
06-01-2007, 18:05
I think wood elves and empire could make a powerful combination. Empire provide cheap shooting and foot units with rank boni, whilst WE have the nuits to deliver the coup de grace (in addition to their annoyance strategies). Either of these teamed with bretonnians could be nasty as well.
Funny you should say that, Empire is my longest-loved army (I picked up the new book today), and my brother and I were thinking of teaming up with his Woodies.

Empire for cheap blocks/heavy cav and solid shooting, wood elves for fast troops and precision strikes.

giner
07-01-2007, 13:03
I think beastmen and Ogres could be pretty nasty just have loads of small beastmen units ambushing to take out shooting and give +3 CR (rear and banner). That could be pretty nasty they also could take some shamans with movement spells. When you think about the amount of magic ogres throw about and panic tests then it gets really mean.

Xavier
07-01-2007, 14:11
I plan to enter with a partnership of wood elves, forest spirits and elves, so while not really seizing on the chance to have two seperate forces combined, it will have two distinct elements.

fearchanges
13-01-2007, 18:30
tomorrow is the big day, I will try to give a small report the day after for the people who are interrested.
wish me luck.

fearchanges
15-01-2007, 16:42
Well itīs over and Iīve lost 3 times:D lol
1 massacre and 2 minors and I canīt give the dice the blame.
1st match was against a Dwarfs Empire combo and ended in a minor
2nd match was against a brettonia Empire combo and ended in a massacre
and the last one was against skaven and Dark elves and ended in a minor
Other armies I saw where a lot of Ogres, Skaven and O&G, I also saw 2 nicely painted and coverted Deamon legions armies; 1 Tzeentch and 1 Nurgle
Overall was it Fine day were I Learned a lot and had good time playing, although I lost a Lot:p
Just wasnīt my day I think....

Lord Steven
15-01-2007, 18:49
I'm attending the London conflict with Chaos / Dark Elves.

Exalted champ, horse, halbard, shield (General)
5 x Chaos knights

5 x marauder horsemen, flails, musician

2 x chariots

5 x warhounds

5 x warhounds

5 x furies

Dark Elf Sorceress, mount, 2 x dispell scroll
5 x dark riders, musician

15 x Executioners, musician, standard, banner of murder

5 x shades

2 x RXB's

The hair
16-01-2007, 17:15
Me and my mate will probably go dwarfs + empire.
Just need a theme- considering basing it around axe bite pass, the major trade route for both races. Any ideas?

fearchanges
19-01-2007, 17:09
Our magic Defense was nice; dwarf thane with Master rune of balance and Dispel scroll and a battle wizard with also 2 dispel scrolls, bit cheesy maybe.
we used a dwarf cannon, great cannon, flame cannon, mortar, hellblaster volleygun as artillery and blasted quite a bit away, the panic tests from cannon are very handy these small games.

What also very nasty way too play is going totally on magic with the Vampire counts

Lord Steven
19-01-2007, 18:02
Any tactics regarding the scenarios?

Waaagh Grignak
20-01-2007, 08:15
I'm attending the London conflict with Chaos / Dark Elves.

Exalted champ, horse, halbard, shield (General)
5 x Chaos knights

5 x marauder horsemen, flails, musician

2 x chariots

5 x warhounds

5 x warhounds

5 x furies

Dark Elf Sorceress, mount, 2 x dispell scroll
5 x dark riders, musician

15 x Executioners, musician, standard, banner of murder

5 x shades

2 x RXB's

I'll see you there, my compadre and i, after diliberation, will be a choice of high elves / empire / forest spirits