PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader Dreadnought

Misanthrope
04-01-2007, 21:59
Hi, I'm looking for info on Rogue Trader Dreadnoughts, specifically:

- What size is the standard (square) base that came with them?
- Does anyone have any pictures of the RT Dreads next to a Marine, for size comparison? Mainly I'm interested in the size of the thing. I just can't tell by any of the pictures I've seen, none of which were next to any other model that I could use to compare it with.

All thanks appreciated!

IJW
04-01-2007, 22:01
40mm square, they were midway between the size of current Terminators and current 'brick outhouse' Dreadnoughts. Height was variable because you could get models with either long or short legs.

Slaaneshi Slave
04-01-2007, 22:02
I'd love 6 of those figures, they would be great for converting a squad of truescale terminators.

Andy_The_Nerd
04-01-2007, 22:05
Are they the ones that looked like cats?

IJW
04-01-2007, 22:07
:eek: My, what strangely-bent arms and legs you have, Brother Eddy... :D

Slaaneshi Slave
04-01-2007, 22:11
All the better for kicking your ass, Brother Francis. :D

Morgrad
04-01-2007, 22:11

Cats? No. They're just horrible models that look like really bad robots.

mistformsquirrel
04-01-2007, 22:14

<@_@> Voltron?

IJW
04-01-2007, 22:17
http://solegends.com/citrt/rt7dreadnought&#37;20armour.htm

Eddy, Chuck and Fury, not necessarily in that order

Chuck = Contemptor class, Fury = Furibundus class, can anyone remember what Eddy was short for?

Slaaneshi Slave
04-01-2007, 22:25
Aww, man, those a fking awesome! Why are there none on ebay... :(

EDIT: I FOUND ONE!! :D

Misanthrope
04-01-2007, 22:27
I'm getting one to serve as my Dreadnought for my World Eaters force... I'm just wondering if it'd look really retarded in that role. But as long as it's larger than a Terminator I think it'll fly... That or I'll have to heavily convert it to make it seem bigger.

Thanks!

IJW
04-01-2007, 22:30
I used to have one of the Chaos ones, but sold it off long ago. It was a much better sculpt, lots of tubes everywhere, but I can't even find a photo of one on solegends.com...

EDIT - Bonus! I found both the third name AND the Chaos version here (http://solegends.com/citcat89autumn/c89aut-070184-1-01.htm).

Eddy = Deredo class.

chromedog
04-01-2007, 22:51
"Eddy" was short for 'Deredeo' or something.
As above, 40mm square base (monster base at the time), but the eldar dreads and walkers came with the same base.

Height-wise a little shorter than a tau battlesuit (short legs) or a bit (5mm) larger than the battlesuit. Only bulkier. Photos attached showing comparison to marine, terminator and brick dread. (excuse the quality it's not too good as these are done with a friends camera, not my home set up. Crappy macro and no off camera flash ability)

I have two of these guys with my marines ( as well as a lot of Rt era marines) so they aren't completely out of place. The metal 'brick outhouse' weapon arms aren't too much out of scale for the old dreads, although the newer plastics are larger, again.

I use them as 'Venerable' dreads - they are older, and thus more suiting the title. I don't like the 'snoop dogg/fiddy/sir bling-a-lot' dread, and only have one plastic dread. The other metal dread went to my GK after being given a light dusting of bling.

EVIL INC
04-01-2007, 23:06
I used to have 2 of them. The one with the missile launcher arms disapeared over the years though so I am left with the one with only bolters on the hands. I use it when I use a dread with 2 close combat weapons.

Brother Othorio
04-01-2007, 23:16
i've never been a fan of those 40k scale Imperial dread ~ the epic versions were good, but i dont know if its because the 'head' is too small to focus on or because the limbs and body had slightly different proportions..

that said the chaos version is probably my favourite ever citadel miniature..

Eddy probably came from Deredeo's pronunciation 'der-eddy-oh' (who where the hell the word Deredeo came from i havent a clue..)

Green-is-best
05-01-2007, 00:56

Yes! They often had goofy cat eyes and whiskers painted on them for some reason...

Maus
05-01-2007, 02:52
I keep looking for the old chaos one on ebay, but they always sell for too much :(

MrLiy
05-01-2007, 05:08
well to me who got started in third...they look like battletech rip offs...
except for the chaos one, that is cool!!!!

Misanthrope
05-01-2007, 08:04
Yeah the Chaos one looks amazing. It'd definately make an awesome Nurgle Daemon Prince atleast...

So I'm going to try to get one, and try to do some conversions on it to make it little less crap-looking. Bulk it up a bit where I can, and so on.

Jellicoe
05-01-2007, 08:49
Still use mine in my marine army. Stashed away and in the queue for a repaint are a x2 Furibundus, a Contemptor, a Deredeo and a Furibundus/Deredeo hybrid (lascannon and missile launcher arms)

all go nicely alongside the old RT marines and landspeeder etc.

Sleazy
05-01-2007, 08:56
I keep looking for the old chaos one on ebay, but they always sell for too much :(

I just missed out on this one, but that seems a reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280061866545&rd=1&rd=1

Misanthrope
05-01-2007, 09:04
Holy crap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rogue-Trader-Chaos-Blood-Slaughterer-of-Khorne_W0QQitemZ330046948113QQihZ014QQcategoryZ441 18QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I love this thing! Too bad it $75 Canadian! Wtf!

chromedog
05-01-2007, 09:20
well to me who got started in third...they look like battletech rip offs...
except for the chaos one, that is cool!!!!

Considering that most of the 'classic' BT designs (Archer/Crusader/Phoenix Hawk/Shadow Hawk/Locust/etc) were themselves borrowed from various japanese animated series (Macross/Crusher Joe/etc) that's a trifle odd. If anything, the newer brick outhouse style is more -ahem- inspired by BT than the reverse.

But, yeah, the chaos dread was better looking. This from a SM player.

GildorInglorion
05-01-2007, 09:46
Here is my old Chaos Dread. I still have also the SM ones, and the ones from Space Crusade / Advanced Space Crusade.

Nick

Darkseer
05-01-2007, 09:50
The space crusade ones are awesome. I have 6!

Zazoo
05-01-2007, 10:02
I have one of the chaos ones and I love peoples faces when you bring models that are that old out to play.

UncleCrazy
05-01-2007, 10:17
First they did not come with bases. I have a few ^^. I would just use the new dread bases for them.

UncleCrazy
05-01-2007, 10:19
One other thing in RT robots and Dreads were two diff things.

GildorInglorion
05-01-2007, 10:32
One other thing in RT robots and Dreads were two diff things.

I remember that it was a lot of fun designing a Dread from scratch using the Rules published in the Compendium.

The process was open to nasty exploitations, but that was common in Rogue Trader, I am not judging it negatively, it was that "non-galilean" trait of the game that I loved a lot.

Nick

lonepilgrim
05-01-2007, 11:25
I had three of the Dreads and have converted one up for use in my Chaos army. Here he is:

http://www.lonepilgrim.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_dread1-21.jpg

http://www.lonepilgrim.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_Dread21.jpg

http://www.lonepilgrim.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_dread31.jpg

http://www.lonepilgrim.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_dread41.jpg

He's heavily converted, of course. It is fun to bring out models that are older than some of your opponents.

It also makes some GW redshirts twitchy when you play them instore - 'are you sure that is a GW model?'

Baldemyr
05-01-2007, 14:28
Also-take a look at the old Imperial Guard robots-the compendium had amazing counters that you put in sequence to represent their programming. They would look great in a rogue trader force-and if you cant find the old minis, look at the Privateer Press Warjacks

jfrazell
05-01-2007, 15:07
Still use mine in my marine army. Stashed away and in the queue for a repaint are a x2 Furibundus, a Contemptor, a Deredeo and a Furibundus/Deredeo hybrid (lascannon and missile launcher arms)

all go nicely alongside the old RT marines and landspeeder etc.

Yes indeed. They were well sized for the marines and speeders/equipment of that day. With a good painjob they still look pretty good. In my mind they fit better with their curent statistics-between a termie and a proper vehicle. I always thought the current dishwasher style was too big a presence for what they can actually do.

Captain Stuart
05-01-2007, 15:18
I've got two of the old Chaos dreads. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

dr vompire
05-01-2007, 15:26
i've never been a fan of those 40k scale Imperial dread ~ the epic versions were good, but i dont know if its because the 'head' is too small to focus on or because the limbs and body had slightly different proportions..

that said the chaos version is probably my favourite ever citadel miniature..

Eddy probably came from Deredeo's pronunciation 'der-eddy-oh' (who where the hell the word Deredeo came from i havent a clue..)

I presume Deredeo is essentially madeuplatinuium for ' a word which could be shortend to Eddy' as for why eddy, its an iron maiden reference isn't it, bear in mind this was the time of goffik rok :cool:

IJW
05-01-2007, 15:32
as for why eddy, its an iron maiden reference isn't it, bear in mind this was the time of goffik rok :cool:
Gah! Ed the Head. :eyebrows: Ouch.

Murphey
05-01-2007, 15:44
Dear god, those rogue trader dreads are some of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

I am actually in pain having viewed them.

IJW
05-01-2007, 15:50
Dear god, those rogue trader dreads are some of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

Actually, they are better in the flesh than the photo of painted ones that I posted, that was a bad photo of badly painted models.

Now, if you want to see some truly awful old 40k models, how about:

Old Chaplains (http://solegends.com/citcat89/c894106marines-h.htm)

And almost anything by Bob Olley... :rolleyes:

Murphey
05-01-2007, 15:52
They Burn My Eyes!

GildorInglorion
05-01-2007, 15:58

Honestly, I can't say that you are wrong. :)

But I see them as old, battered warriors, veteran survivors of more than 16 years of battles. 16 years IS something!

As you say, everytime I take a look at them I am scared by their uglyness, but I am not able to get rid of them.

Nick

IJW
05-01-2007, 16:01
It's worse than that - they're nearly twenty years old. :eek:

The 1988 Harlequins, on the other hand are holding up very nicely - but that might be getting a bit too off-topic...

Iron Buddha
05-01-2007, 16:06
A few of those chaplains arent too bad, but those termies on the same page are pretty cool. I like the old dreads, especially the chaos one, and the painted chaos one is incredible. one this i remeber seeing are some other variants of dreads that i guess were from 2nd ed, they kinda had chicken legs, does anyone know what im talking about?

jfrazell
05-01-2007, 16:14
You might be referring to older versions of sentinels mayhaps?

Sai-Lauren
05-01-2007, 16:32
Ah, RT/2nd ed era Sentinels - aka eggs on legs. :D

Never had one of the RT ones, the thought of putting the legs together and keeping them together (individual parts for the various joints) put me off and the second edition ones were even worse.
The current plastic ones are so much better (even if they are AT-ST rip offs ;)).

Of course, the RT era Dreadnoughts contemporaries havn't changed in style too much - Ork Dreads and Wraithlords still look pretty much the same as they did (although the Eldar ones were originally piloted and merged with the Spirit Warrior at the end of RT).
Marines however got the usual Imperial design philosophy applied - no wonder everything's so rare in the imperium, it's designed to deliberately catch incoming fire, not deflect it. :p

IJW
05-01-2007, 16:32
It sounds like 'egg' Sentinels (http://solegends.com/citcat911/c2047impguardassault-m.htm).

Baldemyr
05-01-2007, 17:22
Lol..I forgot about those Sentinels. Ok-perhaps not forgot. Perhaps i blacked them out.

I found 2 of my old Imperial Beastmen tho-and those guys still look pretty cool. Also the old Adeptus Mechanicus guys rock.

Slaaneshi Slave
05-01-2007, 17:29
I have the Death Eagle plasma gunner from that page in my Sons of Sinfire army. I get people saying "wtf is that?!" all the time, its great. :D

Misanthrope
05-01-2007, 20:29
That's a very very nice conversion lonepilgrim... a lot like I want to make mine. I plan on fielding two of these; one based on an Imperial Dread and the other on the Chaos Dread. Here's a pic of a guy on LO who converted his Chaos RT Dread:

http://rothar.com/nightlords/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/dread_a003.jpg

The Chaos RT Dread is considerably larger I think. Anyway, I love both those conversions and it's really boosted my initative to give it a try on my own. I've already got my hands on an Imperial one (I don't know which class it is) and I'm gonna try to get a Chaos one, and convert them both, and hopefully come up with something anywhere near as cool as your two Dreads!

Brother Othorio
05-01-2007, 20:49
he could also be referring to the Chaos Dreadnought from Space Crusade (and the EPIC Stompas boxed set)

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/spacecrusadedreads.htm

Misanthrope
05-01-2007, 20:52
Those are just so hideously ugly. I can't bare the look of them. Plus they look far more Eldarish than anything else. With some converting they might make good War Walkers.

Alessander
05-01-2007, 23:04
Classic "Gobbo" Dreadnought

http://www.sodemons.com/gwmuseum/olleygobdreadnought2.jpg

Slaaneshi Slave
05-01-2007, 23:17
Thats bloody awesome! Not that I'd want one, but still, its got style! :p

thanoson
06-01-2007, 01:01
Geeze, you guys are so spoiled with your plastics. I started out in '87 and we didn't have the privalage of plastics. We either made ours or used the very stiff metal ones. Ork dreadnaughts rocked. Especially if you gave them the 2nd set of arms. I still think the big shoulderpadded termies from the 1st appearance are the best that have been made. Anybody remember when termies had jump packs and plasma guns? How about what their original role was? What about the ability to equip dreads with jump packs too? Or Spirit Walkers? When all this stuff came out, we ate it up. It was new and we loved it.

Diomedes
06-01-2007, 01:30
I have 6 RT Dread's 2 of each type, 2 of them are painted up for my BA army from WAAAYYYY back.

The other four are still in the packaging though! I bought them in 93 when I was working for GW and I got them from mail order cause we only paid by weight!

How much are they going for on ebay?

Slaaneshi Slave
06-01-2007, 01:40
The one I'm bidding on atm is going for &#163;2.60... :p

Diomedes
06-01-2007, 01:47
The one I'm bidding on atm is going for 2.60... :p

Well there goes my dream of making a quick buck and a big profit then! :D

Misanthrope
06-01-2007, 01:49
I JUST picked one up for $20 Canadian (something around 10GBP). There are a few others for sale at about $35 (16GBP or something). I also picked up a modern metal Chaos Dread for the same price.

Slaaneshi Slave
06-01-2007, 01:52
Woah, maybe you were right Diomedes, it has gone up to &#163;2.70 now. :p

Diomedes
06-01-2007, 01:54
Woah, maybe you were right Diomedes, it has gone up to 2.70 now. :p

Really! Wow, need to get mine sold on Ebay ASAP, only question is do I use my ill gotten gains to go to Taihiti or the Bahamas? :p

Slaaneshi Slave
06-01-2007, 02:05
Well, you could get the bus to Newcastle and buy a pint, if you managed to sell all of them. :p

Ap0calypse
06-01-2007, 03:37
Those are the worst looking, most ghetto models I have ever seen! Why hasn't the inquisition purged all info about those things from history?

Slaaneshi Slave
06-01-2007, 03:40
You obviously have no taste. :p

Bonesthedog
06-01-2007, 05:27
A few of those chaplains arent too bad, but those termies on the same page are pretty cool. I like the old dreads, especially the chaos one, and the painted chaos one is incredible. one this i remeber seeing are some other variants of dreads that i guess were from 2nd ed, they kinda had chicken legs, does anyone know what im talking about?

I have one of those termies, and painted him. Lookie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/bonesthedog/DSC00178.jpg

Sgt Biffo
06-01-2007, 05:47
Those are the worst looking, most ghetto models I have ever seen! Why hasn't the inquisition purged all info about those things from history?

Ah the noo... ahem youth of today have no respect for their elders.:rolleyes: :D

Brother Othorio
06-01-2007, 06:31
I have one of those termies, and painted him. Lookie.

whoah :eek: Fire Hawks! nicely done! :D

Zazz
06-01-2007, 07:23
ooh wow. the old termies looked cool

they have alot of character, i'd say.

Bonesthedog
06-01-2007, 07:43
whoah :eek: Fire Hawks! nicely done! :D

Thank you sir. Check out my project log in my sig. I'm impressed you reconized them. :)

Deathwing_Adam
06-01-2007, 21:50
Sadly enough I have at least 5 or 6 of those heh.

GildorInglorion
07-01-2007, 10:39
Those are just so hideously ugly. I can't bare the look of them. Plus they look far more Eldarish than anything else. With some converting they might make good War Walkers.

Interesting that you said that. Many years ago, thinking the same thing, I tried the "venetian" WarWalker attached.

Nick

Misanthrope
07-01-2007, 10:56
See? I was right! They make fairly good looking War Walkers.

Anyway I picked up my RT Dread today and I already started converting it. Here's some pics after a couple hours of work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/WIP1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/WIP2.jpg