PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin question

drunkendwarf
04-01-2007, 22:26
I have been looking through other threads but could not find if this question has come up before.
I dont know where I read it or when but in my memory the robes of night goblins counts as light armour. Is this true? Or is it my imagination and I hope it is so....

DJ

Festus
04-01-2007, 22:34
It surely is just a figment of your imagination. :)

NGobbos always have no armour and a shield.
You may upgrade them to either carry spears or to exchange their shields for shortbows.

O&G Army Book, p.53

Festus

drunkendwarf
04-01-2007, 22:37
Thx, well at least I have a big unit (40) so I can stand some losses before it is getting awkward.

DJ

Festus
04-01-2007, 22:52
Hi

I know what you mean: My NG Army has in excess of 300 of the li'l buggers. :evilgrin:

Festus

BlazeXI
04-01-2007, 23:36
Hi

I know what you mean: My NG Army has in excess of 300 of the li'l buggers. :evilgrin:

Festus

1200 points on rank and file night gobbos excluding command groups, netters and fanatics. How do you include squigs and Stone Trolls then(obvious room for characters)?

Festus
04-01-2007, 23:45
Hi

edit: BTW: 300 Night Goblins amount to 900 points. Including weapons and Command I am looking at 1180 points total.

No Trolls, just the least amount of fancy stuff like Hoppaz, which costs too much points... Herds: just two miniscule flank bombs to explode in the face of Fast cav, Skirmishers, etc.

Big units of 40 NG with Heros for your troops, checkered behind skulk the Stikkas with Fanatics and using the NG Blocks as catapults (Stikkas are 6-7" behind the Blocks' frontline - who cares if a Fanatic kills a few Gobbos ;) ).

Much Theoryhammer here though, as I have only had games of 1000 points with them up to now - still building the army. But that's the general idea anyhow...

Greetings
FEstus

BlazeXI
05-01-2007, 23:12
Hi

edit: BTW: 300 Night Goblins amount to 900 points. Including weapons and Command I am looking at 1180 points total.

I'm looking at my 2 sets of goblins from Skull Pass and those 80 spearmen cost 4 points each... Hence the 1200 cost.

Festus
05-01-2007, 23:22
Hi

I'm looking at my 2 sets of goblins from Skull Pass and those 80 spearmen cost 4 points each... Hence the 1200 cost.
4 units of 40 Gobbos with Spears and full Command = 720
2 units of 40 Gobbos with Handweapons and full Command = 280
3 units of 20 Gobbos with Shortbows, no Command = 180

300 Gobbos in 9 units = 1180 total

edit: add 4 Nets for 150 points in the Handweapon units and two Spear units, and you are at 1330.
The rest is Heroes, Fanatics and Squigs... or a Giant at times, or Skarsnik, to become not too predictable :D

Greetings
Festus

drunkendwarf
06-01-2007, 12:52
@ Festus

300 Night Goblins? I hope you paint faster as I do, at the rate i'm painting them now it would take me 7 years! (to much projects that need to be painted too).

As you seem to know a lot more of O&G I have the following question:

On page 17 O&G book under Waaagh!
It gives (rank)bonus to unit of goblins on the animosity roll.
It gives +1 bonus if a Warboss or a Bigboss is in the unit, I assume this is for not-goblin units.

Does this +1 bonus also apply for goblin units?
So they have their max. +3 rankbonus AND a +1 for a War/Bigboss in the unit.

Thx

DJ

Festus
06-01-2007, 13:50
Hi

Only Orcs get their full rank bonus to the Waagh!, Gobbos have to make do with a max of +1, they will not get +2 or +3. They will however benefit from joined characters and get another +1 on the Animosity roll if accompanied by any characters, of all sorts, O&G.

So the max Gobbos can get is +2 (+1 for any ranks and a further +1 for any characters). Remember that the General's unit always is assumed to have rolled a straight 6!
You will only benefit from the Waagh! in half the cases under best conditions (ie. a roll o f 4+ is needed), so I usually won't bother at all with it, as it tears your battleline into shreds. There are instances when it is better to call the Waaggh!, but for Gobbos those are few and far between...

... for Orcs, Waaaggh! is a godsend :evilgrin:

Greetings

Festus

Kotobuki
06-01-2007, 15:01
Right up until 4 of your 6 units of Orcs roll a 1, and one of them is your unit of BoarBoys that loses 5 models.

But it WAS hilarious. I think that Waaagh! won me the game.

Falkman
06-01-2007, 17:27
They will however benefit from joined characters and get another +1 on the Animosity roll if accompanied by any characters, of all sorts, O&G.
Not entirely true, they only get the bonus from big bosses and warbosses, not shamans.

And it says it only works if the unit is lead by the character, would that exclude the bonus if he is for some reason not in the front rank, as they can't use his Ld and he is not "leading" them?

drunkendwarf
06-01-2007, 19:17
Hmm, with just a unit of orc boarboys and one black orc unit I will ignore the possibility of Waaagh! With 5 units with night goblins in it the risk is a bit high. Well, maybe when all is almost lost and my general is still alive I will give it a try.

Thx again,
DJ

Festus
06-01-2007, 23:09
Not entirely true, they only get the bonus from big bosses and warbosses, not shamans.

This is of course true. I thought it selfexplanatory, as it is in the rules themself.

And it says it only works if the unit is lead by the character, would that exclude the bonus if he is for some reason not in the front rank, as they can't use his Ld and he is not "leading" them?

A character not in the front rank is de facto out of the game for nearly all purposes (except skaven), so I'd say no, he doesn't count.
Especially with O&G, where might is right.

cf. p.71, BRB

Festus