PDA

View Full Version : What are fishmen?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
04-01-2007, 22:48
I've heard all this stuff on fishmen but what are they and did the original idea come from GW? It wouldn't be too hard to use greenstuff to convert lizardmen to fishmen if they're viable though.

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2007, 22:51
It seems to be some kind of in joke among the community. Thougth I can vaguly remember a throw away line in an old White Dwarf about Fish/fishermen.

John Wayne II
04-01-2007, 22:54
It's the next army book to be released by GW...

Orcboy_Phil
04-01-2007, 23:02
Nah its not its Warhammer Armies: Zoats followed by Fimir in october.

Damien 1427
04-01-2007, 23:04
They're an old running gag. By old, I mean at least ten years. They're a jab at the absurd rumours for new armies that keep arising.

sigur
04-01-2007, 23:20
Rumors about Fishmen got a bit more numerous after the release of Ogre Kingdoms though.:p

Mephistofeles
05-01-2007, 00:08
Hehe, well, fishmen is a really old GW-joke too, but I can't remember if it was invented by the community or by GW in the first place...both use it nowadays.

Don't worry, they aren't really in the game, and will never be.

Or will they?

*Fading dark foreboding music*

Paulus
05-01-2007, 00:24
Apparently there's a board in the GW design studio's somewhere where they list all the projects they are currently working on & for many many years it has had at the bottom Fishmen and strangely enough it's never moved up?!?

Don't know if that's true but have it from a few friends & people on this other forums.

Hehe, well, fishmen is a really old GW-joke too, but I can't remember if it was invented by the community or by GW in the first place...both use it nowadays.

Don't worry, they aren't really in the game, and will never be.

Or will they?

*Fading dark foreboding music*

To quote the Lizardmen army book "The temple-city of Chupaytol slips into the sea, and all it's inhabitants journey to other temple-cities. Rumours in later years speak of an undersea race of beings taking uo residence within this city of gold hidden deep beneath the waves.

Off course this is only in the book as a joke ...............................isn't it? ;)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
05-01-2007, 00:57
I would seriously crap my pants with glee and jubilation if they made a Merloc army. Glee and jubilation.

Harry
05-01-2007, 01:05
The story I heard (right or wrong) was that fishmen was the 'gap filler' on the board. If there was a 'gap' for a project but they had not decided what it was going to be, they stuck in fishmen, until they had decided. Someone saw it who was not 'in on the gag' and the rumour started. Now whenever there is a question about what is coming next, whats the next army......fishmen.

Somewhere on this forum is a great thread called 'the fishmen cometh' or words to that effect that had some very nice converted fishmen...I think they were, as suggested, based on lizardmen.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
05-01-2007, 01:08
I don't care if it really is a joke. A fishmen army would be totally different from any other army that exists, could lead to all-new locations underwater to explore and map. Maybe some huge underground caves with rivers and lakes that the fishmen live in/around. WoW denied me, and I must have satisfaction! I WANT FISHMEN!!

Paulus
05-01-2007, 01:10
You weren't joking when you said you love Fishmen were you! :p

Harry
05-01-2007, 01:18
No, not based on lizardmen. based on plastic orcs...found them again page 8 in this section (sorry still have not worked out how to do a link). They really are worth a look ...most amusing.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 01:20
Ha ha! Yeah think I've seen that with the plastic Orc's disguised as Fish men! :D

snurl
05-01-2007, 05:28
Fishmen are a joke ?!?

You better read this then...

http://www.purplealien.net/lightdwarf/latest_greatest/fishmen/fishmen.html

ORKY ARD BOYZ
05-01-2007, 05:42
wow, nice website on fishmen, and the race is going to warhammer online, now that is interesting, the fishmen might come sooner than most people thought.

snurl
05-01-2007, 06:00
Now here's an odd question that occurred to me just now;
Do the fishmen come to the surface to fight battles, or are the other races expected to figure out ways to submerge themselves?

Yes, I know that the Dwarves have a Nautilus, and probably some sort of diving gear. But for a battle?

The clockwork horse would make a good boat anchor if that helps.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 08:16
Fishmen are a joke ?!?

You better read this then...

http://www.purplealien.net/lightdwarf/latest_greatest/fishmen/fishmen.html

lol, I can't believe they haven't discovered anymore rumours in nearly 3 years! GW sure are getting good at keeping the rumour milll quiet ;).

Harry
05-01-2007, 09:04
Alright, I'll come clean. John Wayne II is right.
Fishmen are the next army to be released.
They are to be released on April 1st.

Falkman
05-01-2007, 09:23
A fishmen army would be totally different from any other army that exists
Different, yes, but not more so than say Lizardmen or Skaven.

I've made a Fishmen army list actually, using the brilliant system made by Avian to calculate points costs for units.
It's still lacking another rare choice, another hero choice and lord choices, but other than that, it's complete.
It even has it's own special rules and magical lore, though no magic items as of yet.

I've also thought up some fluff for it, but nothing has been written down yet.
And in my version, they come up on land to fight, but they can't stray too far from water, or they will begin to dehydrate and die.

grimkeeper
05-01-2007, 11:55
GW used to have fishmen in the very early 80s there were at least 3 diffrent figs and were armed with spears,nets and clubs,all pre slotta and made by Citadel i belive.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 12:12
GW used to have fishmen in the very early 80s there were at least 3 diffrent figs and were armed with spears,nets and clubs,all pre slotta and made by Citadel i belive.

I'm trying to find them on the Stuff of Legend's website, as I have seen these REALLY old ones myself.

xibo
05-01-2007, 12:20
Ah, that's where GW has taken the idea for tau(40k) from :skull:

azazel_fallenangel
05-01-2007, 14:19
I find Hypocrisy funny sometimes. If GW had seriously brought out a Fishmen army based on a few little bits of fluff, everyone would be moaning that they didn't fit and made no sense in the warhammer world, but because GW won't give it to us, we all want Fishmen. Hell, even i'm intrigued by the idea now.

Orcboy_Phil
05-01-2007, 14:39
Geek nature, we love new things, and we love to whinge about them as well.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 14:40
I find Hypocrisy funny sometimes. If GW had seriously brought out a Fishmen army based on a few little bits of fluff, everyone would be moaning that they didn't fit and made no sense in the warhammer world, but because GW won't give it to us, we all want Fishmen. Hell, even i'm intrigued by the idea now.

lol on the whole think most of us have just been having a laugh about this & don't paticularly like the idea of Fishmen :D

Other than Seargent Uriel Ventris of course who's deadly serious! ;)

azazel_fallenangel
05-01-2007, 15:37
Geek nature, we love new things, and we love to whinge about them as well.

Too true. Especially if its something we don't have but want. If its something thats available, but crap, we can just ignore it. But if we don't have it in the first place then there hell to pay.

WarbossKurgan
05-01-2007, 15:45
Somewhere on this forum is a great thread called 'the fishmen cometh' or words to that effect that had some very nice converted fishmen...I think they were, as suggested, based on lizardmen.
No, not based on lizardmen. based on plastic orcs...found them again page 8 in this section (sorry still have not worked out how to do a link). They really are worth a look ...most amusing.

Thanks Harry! :D

Link: The Fishmen Cometh (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57478)

Paulus
05-01-2007, 15:51
lol! Argh Fishmen they've come to reak Hadoc!!

I'm sorry I couldn't help that :cheese:

Dr Death
05-01-2007, 16:09
Yes- it's an old joke, very old joke. That said i have heard a word on their females- apparently they're deified as 'old trouts'

Dr Death

Paulus
05-01-2007, 16:16
Yes- it's an old joke, very old joke. That said i have heard a word on their females- apparently they're deified as 'old trouts'

Dr Death

I see there are Fish Women too! Well this is the Plaice for Fishmen info :cheese:

I'll stop it ...... soon ;)

samw
05-01-2007, 16:28
I can sea some of you guys are doing this on porpoise.

sodapopinski
05-01-2007, 16:29
The first really cool fishmen Ive seen are the warcraft naga (or murlocks for that matter) which seem very comfortable inland and at their natural element

And knowing the history between GW and blizzard, which is of mutual almost copyright infringements (protoss vs tau, terran vs marines, zerg vs nids, green orcs taken from GW...) I bet that GW has seriously tought about making some fishmen army based on blizzard`s concepts.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 16:41
I can sea some of you guys are doing this on porpoise.

Why ever would you think that ;) I wonder if they would arm fishmen with Pike's. Okay no more puns I can see I'm Skate-ing on thin ice :p (plus I can't think of any more).

The first really cool fishmen Ive seen are the warcraft naga (or murlocks for that matter) which seem very comfortable inland and at their natural element

And knowing the history between GW and blizzard, which is of mutual almost copyright infringements (protoss vs tau, terran vs marines, zerg vs nids, green orcs taken from GW...) I bet that GW has seriously tought about making some fishmen army based on blizzard`s concepts.

If they did ever do Fishmen (which I seriously doubt) I'd like to see them look something along the lines of Murloc's.

Griefbringer
05-01-2007, 16:53
Remember that in 7th edition everything is RAW - thus the Fishmen have been renamed as Sashimi-men!

Harry
05-01-2007, 17:00
We have been here before with the fish gags...Griefbringer did you not produce an excellent fishman army list on a previous thread about next armies? I have just been trying to find it and unable to.

der_lex
05-01-2007, 17:26
I'd say it's time for you to provide a red herring of your own by posting ridiculous pictures of fish, Harry...

I'm still considering making a Magic card for you because of the mechanical horse incident :D

Griefbringer
05-01-2007, 17:30
Griefbringer did you not produce an excellent fishman army list on a previous thread about next armies?

If it was excellent, then that was an accident on my behalf. Apologies for everyone. :cool:

Perhaps you would be thinking of the Chaos Ninja Fish Dwarves (and they will never admit having anything to do with mundane fishmen), which were discussed in this thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56859&page=5

However, I forgot to mention there the option to upgrade characters into Nurgle worshippers: this would allow them to spread salmon-ella and other uncomfortable diseases amongst the enemy units.

Edit: on der_lex request: http://www.flickr.com/photos/burnblue/204482173/

Paulus
05-01-2007, 17:56
lol! Griefbringer you should send them that list I actually WANT them to make it! :D

Dr Death
05-01-2007, 18:38
lol! Griefbringer you should send them that list I actually WANT them to make it!

Yes, im sure GW can find a plaice for them. Oh dear, oh lord i feel dirty with all these puns: Bream me up scotty!

Dr Death

superknijn
05-01-2007, 18:56
And ofcourse, there's the amazingly powerfull special character Captain Haddock! :angel:

Harry
05-01-2007, 19:43
Thanks Harry! :D

Oh no ...Thank you warbossK. for the link.

I'd say it's time for you to provide a red herring of your own by posting ridiculous pictures of fish, Harry...

I'm still considering making a Magic card for you because of the mechanical horse incident :D

That would just be silly.
Besides where would I find a bunch of amusing pictures of walking fish???

If it was excellent, then that was an accident on my behalf. Apologies for everyone. :cool:

Perhaps you would be thinking of the Chaos Ninja Fish Dwarves
I was...the 'Blunderbasses' were my personal favorites.
Thank you for the link.

It is the jokes on these threads that are the reason no one would ever play Fishmen....opponents would be unbearable...carping on and on.

Paulus
05-01-2007, 19:48
They should all look like the second pic along Harry, arms, legs & a big fish for a head!

kir
05-01-2007, 20:05
i think the army after that will be gnomes. they are not good at gardening:P

Harry
05-01-2007, 20:12
Oh...but waging war...thats what they are known for...they will be unbeatable at that...."bend down here so I can wrap this toadstool round you head":D

grimkeeper
06-01-2007, 10:54
GW have already produced a line of gnome figs,again in the early 80s,and if im not mistaken David Bowie released a song about one of them.

Griefbringer
06-01-2007, 11:43
There was even an entry for gnomes in the 3rd edition dwarf army list!

snurl
06-01-2007, 12:10
If someone came up with a current army list for gnomes, you could use Warmaster Dwarves to represent them in WHFB

sodapopinski
06-01-2007, 16:15
"Super Ninja Shark Master of Doom (hero): these are the feared master ninjas. To represent their fearsome abilities, they gain every special rule in the special rules section of BRB (including acidic breath weapon, S3 and -2 save modifier), plus new special rules "Armed to the teeth and beyond" (count as carrying every mundane weapon in BRB, plus Blunderbass and Balloon Fish Bombs) and "invisible" (2+ ward save against missile weapons, and the model is represented by an empty 20x40 mm base - the bases are sold individually through mail order)."

This has been perhaps the most hilarious piece of text I`ve ever read on warseer... just thank you for the laugh griefbringer

Griefbringer
06-01-2007, 18:07
If someone came up with a current army list for gnomes, you could use Warmaster Dwarves to represent them in WHFB

Problem with the Warmaster dwarves would be that mostly they are not cast single, but on almost 40mm long strips, where the models are touching each other on such a fashion that cutting them off would be difficult.

Of course you could base them on 40x40 mm bases and use them as swarms!

Paulus
06-01-2007, 18:11
Imagine the look on your opponent's face when you deploy your swarm's of Gnome's, lol!

WarbossKurgan
08-01-2007, 10:54
And ofcourse, there's the amazingly powerfull special character Captain Haddock! :angel:

Blistering Barnacles! I hake it when that happens! :angel:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5867/orcfishbossavj7.jpghttp://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9747/orcfishbossbvp4.jpg