PDA

View Full Version : chaos warbands

jp22102000
05-01-2007, 03:04
i am writting chaos warbands for mordeim (the fantasy skirmish game) and came up with an aspiring champion for the leader, 2 chosen and a sorcerer for the heroes along with 3 warriors and marauders for the henchmen. the setup works fine for all chaos gods except tzeentch. for tzeentch the aspiring champion would be a wizard thus replaceing the sorcerer and i am racking my brains out trying to figure out a replacement hero for the sorcerer. anyone have any ideas? i was writting these with the storm of chaos setting and wanted the warbands to be scouts for an army or something similar.

TKitch
05-01-2007, 03:16
you're also looking at an entirely overpowered warband.

Keep your eyes on "The Watchman" in (a little under) 2 weeks. I've got a really long and awesome design in there to playtest for everyone! :)

Chaos warriors have a VERY strong statline, and sorcerers are the same. Having 4 of them as heroes, with more as henchies for promotion, you're going to end up with a REALLY beefy warband, almost on par with multiple possessed.

jp22102000
05-01-2007, 04:35
well the stats aren't the same as the fantasy counter parts so they not to overpowered. the warband set up is quite similar to the regular possessed one.

Catferret
05-01-2007, 06:11
An alternative approach could be to have a Chosen Warrior, 2 Warriors and a Mutant as Heroes and have Marauders and Hounds as Henchmen. Maybe a Were Creature as an alternative to the Mutant but keep it to only 4 Heroes.

The Heroes may choose a Mark instead of a skill. In the case of Tzeentch, they would gain Arcane Lore without requiring a Tome of Magic.

jp22102000
06-01-2007, 19:41
i decided to go with one aspiring champion for the leader (orc boss), 2 chosen for heroes (Middenheim champions) and 2 marauder youths (youngbloods) for henchmen 0-3 warriors (middenheim champions), marauders (warriors) 0-2 demons (varies) and possibly 0-3 chaos hounds (wardogs)
i dropped the sorcerer so i would have to come up with new spells which i always thought was a pain to do.

JT-Y
06-01-2007, 20:58
Archive Pestilen. (http://hem.passagen.se/pestilen/index.htm)

Usefull website, some nice warbands.

Avoid the Norscan Reavers like the plague or no one will ever play you again. Thats a prime example of what happens when someone has a 'cool idea' and thinks balance in games is for other people ('Hardy Breed' rule my bottom).

Also, Strike To Stun ("http://www.strike-to-stun.com/index.php) contains lots of good Mordheim stuff.

(Anyone who's ever questioned the problems GW has encountered in recent times may have a little laugh at the interveiw with Tuomas Pirinen from a good few years ago in which he admits what will happen in the future).

Catferret
07-01-2007, 04:14
@JT-Y

What are the Norscan Reavers rules? I assumed you were talking about the Norse warband from the Lustria rules but have never heard of the "Hardy Breed" rule. I play a Norse(Lustria) Warband and have not found them overpowered at all. They are expensive and horribly vulnerable to shooting.