PDA

View Full Version : New Army want you~

Valkyrie
05-01-2007, 09:35
Hi...

I am fairly new? to this place ish...

anyway I wish to start a new army, and seeking advice, because I really can't decide on which one to choose.

currently I've played Empire, Wood elves, Ork and goblins and Dwarves + Little bit of VC.

well I love painting.... and if that is small amount (don't like painting 120 Night gobblins....

anyway thanks...

Hobgoblyn
05-01-2007, 10:18
Before anyone can give you any helpful and meaningful advice, we need more information. We can pretty much assume that just about all armies with lists (with the possible exception of Dwarven Slayers) are more or less equally valid choices. And then there are armies without current lists that you could convert out and 'count as' one of the current lists. Those could also be fun if you like modeling and painting.

Right now your choices seem all over the place and Dogs of War might be a good place to start. Beyond this, you might want to say what you liked or didn't like about each one.

Since you don't want a glug of models (like a Goblin army) then we can pretty much assume that Skaven are pretty much out, but nothing else requires that kind of bulk (although many armies can be geared towards that end, for instance a very Gnobblar-heavy Ogre army or Undead armies with lots of skeletons and zombies).

Valkyrie
05-01-2007, 18:57
hmm lets see....

what I like....

well I like chavalry charges (not brets though)

bulks of infantry fo stable line

little bit or few shooting can't hurt.

and... I generally love most of the fluffs. you mentioned dogs of war army. Well they are pretty expensive. but the new Empire is pretty attractive as well. If I had a list of possible armies, this would be it.

-Empire
-Chaos (hord and beast)

and../.. can't really think of anything else..

Makarion
05-01-2007, 19:07
How about High Elves? They have fine cavalry, a variety of infantry that could be great fun painting, archers and bolt throwers. They might just fit the bill.

Now, from a power perspective I gather that both the high elf archers and infantry are a sub-par selection (I have never played or faced them), but the true joy in playing is in sharing the game with your fellow-WHFB afficionados, and in modelling/painting of course. At least in my opinion :).

Alternatively you could build a very different version of one of the armies you already have, such as for instance a Kislevite army. They certainly have unique flavour, with horse archers and lancers and so forth.

klinktastic
05-01-2007, 19:24
Well High Elves are going to be getting a new book here pretty soon, so they could be a feasible option. However, you don't know what is going to be good and what won't be so that still leaves you in a bad situation. Empire has lots of fun things, so it seems like you could dabble in whatever what with them.

Corrupt
05-01-2007, 20:46
How about High Elves? Now, from a power perspective I gather that both the high elf archers and infantry are a sub-par selection

High Elf Player here.
Play a fluffy (Spearmmen/Archers are most common units in my army, rather than silverhelms for core)
High Elf Infantry. Long Story Short. Overpriced. They are good, reliable when used right, but just too pricy. Massively. 13pts for a BS 4 longbowman with 6+ save is extreme. They have a human statline, except +1ws, bs, ld. That doesnt warrent almost tripling the cost! Bowmen are the worst, but spearmen are almost as bad(and Lothern Seaguard are downright scarily priced. Imagine giving those expensive spearmen 11pt the longbowmans bow. AND paying extra to get back sheilds. 16pts once you have!!!)

Elite Units arn't amazing. Incredibly Flimsy (5+ save anyone) and basically all great weapon wielding regiments of some sort. Other than PG, who are fear causing!! But still not that amazing for their cost.

Yes Elven Infantry are good, but waay overpriced.
If you play infantry light, or like a challange, go for it. If you want a sturdy battleline look to other races than HE. Wood Elves have sturdier melee regiments than us!!!. Their Core/Special Eternal Guard are better by far (and cheaper) than our Pheonix Guard!

fearchanges
06-01-2007, 15:47
I'm a empire and a beastmen player, but I think that maybe with the new rules coming for the High elves it is a good choice for you to choose this army

enyoss
06-01-2007, 19:33
From the preferences you have stated, I would recommend Empire. They have cheap infantry without being a horde army and have some nice Cavalry and artillery as well. They also have quite a bit of variety so you shouldn't feel forced to take the same list over and over.

In defence of the High Elves infantry, you're hearing a lot of horror stories but they're not all that bad :). True, you really need to steer clear of Lothern Seaguard and Phoenix Guard (particularly when starting out) but Spearmen and Swordmasters are good. Still, there are loads of threads on that topic so I won't get going here! Also, it looks like they'll get a new book in 6-9 months so I'd be wary of starting out with them at this point. Maybe wait to see what the new models are like.

The main advice I can give though would be to go with the army for which you like the background and models. Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

enyoss

sphincter man
06-01-2007, 20:10
well i collect hordes of chaos( nurgle) and i must say they r great, you wont be painting too much in the troop category because the are quite expensive point-wise but are a fantastic.
they also have expendible units called marauders for a "stable line" and much more.

they also have the most destructive peice of firepower in the whole on warhammer: the hellcannon.

also if you like heros and massive beasts they have their lord: archaon and a massive dragon.

all round i think chaos are the way to go, but i suppose that's just because i collect them!

hope this helped

Onisuzume
07-01-2007, 09:11
You could go with Cult of Ulric; they play vastly different from a regular empire army. And you can use models from your existing army. Or live out your creative ideas and convert almost every model in your Warriors of Ulric regiments. (the individuals rule really helps with this)
They have the Knights of the White Wolf (mounted and on foot) as core choices, a tiny bit of shooting as special choice, with Dogs of War shooting units as rare.

From the preferences you have stated, I would recommend Empire. They have cheap infantry without being a horde army and have some nice Cavalry and artillery as well. They also have quite a bit of variety so you shouldn't feel forced to take the same list over and over.
He already said that he plays Empire...

Dogskills
07-01-2007, 14:51
Lizardmen are another very versitale army. Solid core troops and good magick and a nice slice of shooting. They are also quite forgiving and imo one of the most balanced lists around. I my self are tinkering with the highelfs but mind you they are not easy to play. I have been in the hobby for many years and I have a 50-50 score against my 10 year old son and his mixed chaos army (with my highelfs)...

BlazeXI
07-01-2007, 16:24
If I were a begginer with no minis i would go with an all brand new army. The Empire plastic kits give you a great interchangability and are easy to convert.