PDA

View Full Version : Save yourself money

Greblord
05-01-2007, 11:55
Just about to order:

SG-EPC-F-013 EPIC MARAUDER DESTROYERS (1 model)
10.00 10.00
SG-EPC-F-009 EPIC 40,000 THUNDERBOLTS (x2 = 4 models)
10.00 20.00
AW-ACC-K-001 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS FLYING BASES (5 bases)
5.00 5.00
Total cost 35 plus postage
-------------------------------------------------
alternative from the aeronautica imperialis section:

AW-INE-F-004 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS THUNDERBOLTS (x2 = 4 models with 4 bases))
12.00 24.00
AW-INE-F-007 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS MARAUDER DESTROYERS (1 model with base)
12.00 12.00
Total cost 36 plus postage
As far as I can see, I get the same stuff for 1 less.

Anyone see a flaw in this?

Darkseer
05-01-2007, 12:00
*appplause* :D

Voronwe[MQ]
05-01-2007, 12:09
No.

Voronwe

Christine
05-01-2007, 12:45
Most impressive! Of course you could go down the GW epic vehicles route and get it even cheaper but then of course you have different vehicle designs and slightly different scales to those of Forgeworld.

azazel_fallenangel
05-01-2007, 13:38
I thought that AI used the Foge World Epic models, just with new bases, so yes, he's saving that single, but important pound.
I'm going to have to check this out to see if i can save on the Chaos stuff i was planning to buy.

Jmaeta
05-01-2007, 13:46
Actually, Epic T-bolts come in 4 at £10,-.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060307003&orignav=300808

And 2 Marauder Bombers at £7,-.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060307006&orignav=300808

That's not including postage

Add 2x5 AI bases at £10,- and you pay £27,- for an extra marauder...

Where did you get those prices? I'm curious

kris.sherriff
05-01-2007, 13:58
But the forgeword ones are so much nicer imo.

azazel_fallenangel
05-01-2007, 14:06
Where did you get those prices? I'm curious

They're from FW themselves. Much better models, but damn expensive.

Spacker
05-01-2007, 15:24
Just about to order:

SG-EPC-F-013 EPIC MARAUDER DESTROYERS (1 model)
10.00 10.00
SG-EPC-F-009 EPIC 40,000 THUNDERBOLTS (x2 = 4 models)
10.00 20.00
AW-ACC-K-001 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS FLYING BASES (5 bases)
5.00 5.00
Total cost 35 plus postage
alternative from the aeronautica imperialis section:

AW-INE-F-004 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS THUNDERBOLTS (x2 = 4 models with 4 bases))
12.00 24.00
AW-INE-F-007 AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS MARAUDER DESTROYERS (1 model with base)
12.00 12.00
Total cost 36 plus postage
As far as I can see, I get the same stuff for 1 less.

Anyone see a flaw in this?

The flaw is FW - I didn't notice until after I placed my order. They're charging 2 for a base in the Destroyer instead of 1. That's where the 1 is going astray.

Voronwe[MQ]
05-01-2007, 21:41
I'll have to check it out myself. I'll use Greblord's "model" as a template for my order.

Voronwe

Brimstone
05-01-2007, 21:58
I know I'd pay more for the Forgeworld models, the scuplts are just so much better.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/72645429.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/72645430.jpg

Christine
05-01-2007, 22:03
True although I'd be inclined towards the 'different marks of the same aircraft' theory in order to explain the difference. Oddly enough it's less pronounced with the original design of the Thunderbolt and the Forgeworld one (as the current metal epic version is fairly blocky).

Ravens Claw
06-01-2007, 09:40
The best way to save money is to build it yourself...
Keep in mind that I have ordered a large shipment of all sorts of FW AI goodies, but shipping to NZ takes three weeks and I have gotten a little impatient so I thought I would have a go...(this is from the airspace forum where I am also a member...hope that you like)

Hello gents
I finally got around to posting piccies re the new Cadian Pattern Thunderbolt that I have been designing for my AI squadron. This fighter is designed as a slightly lighter more agile version of the Thunderbolt as we know it (of which I have some already pre-ordered and is en-route form Forge World)
I have designed it in scale with the new models as opposed to the Epic models, I simply like the revamped scale better.
The WIP shots do not include the tail wings, which have been created but not attached, these will be cast seperately and glued on. I have designed a set of missiles which will be situated below wing, and lascannons fo the wing edges, simply for aesthetic value. The Cadian pattern thunderbolt has come about as an in betweener for the regular T-bolt and the lightning, it is designed to be lighter, faster, but less protected. The wings have deliberately been cropped of the bent edge sections, to cater for a snub winged version, the thrusters have been extended to allow more power, whilst the rest of the fighter has been designed with the T-bolt in mind. As a final addition I will have a number of Imperial Cadian pilots sculpted up as eject markers (again my megalomania kicking in)...I also have designed a Grot guided rocket with grot pilot that I will post piccies of some time soon.
The master model is made from milliput, greenstuff and brass tubing. I have the imperial eagle sculpted on the left wing, and the number 41 on the right, there is a lightning bolt sculpted on the tail fin.

http://flashpointminiatures.com/forum/Attachments/Cadian_Pattern_Thunderbolt_WIP2.jpg

[I]Anyway i hope that you like it, I will be using it with either Lightning stats or T-bolt stats dependant on the missions being played. I guess it could alos stand in as a converted traitor T-bolt...either way i intend to have four flights of these babies in support of my ordered T-bolts, Lightnings and Marauders...my next proect will be an Ork Fighta bomber...not a fighta...not a bomber...a fighta-bomber. Enough of my ramblings...I hope that you like it.

Cheers
Matt

Christine
06-01-2007, 10:22
Those really are terribly nice I'd love to see how they turn out after painting etc. Keep us all posted will you?

Greblord
06-01-2007, 14:24
Nice work Raven Claw. If only I had the time to make my own...

Voronwe[MQ]
06-01-2007, 16:05
Hm. There Raven pointed out something with his nice work. Since you can make your own patterns or types of aircraft this might be extremely... timely that you came up with it now during the build-up Aeronautica Imperialis-fever, Raven ;).

Voronwe

ml2sjw
06-01-2007, 18:58
and you will look rather foolish i'm afraid

here is a side by side real life photo no different zoom etc

http://www.netepic.org/EPICentre/Articles/fwlightreview.php

Definitely an either or in my book

Mephistofeles
06-01-2007, 20:10
I have agree, it's a money-saver, but you also get less for your money, not only in actual sixe but also in detail. Is it not worth the extra quid to get so much nicer models, and in correct scale?

Ravens Claw
06-01-2007, 21:16
The Cadian pattern shown above is sculpted in scale with the FW models not the Epic models, which IMHO i think suck compared to FW (sorry SG).
The model shown I wil be producing in number for my own squadrons as I have the technology, but this will be purely a non-commerical venture...and unfortunately because of similarities with the FW design I will do my utmost to avoid copyright issues. Now on the otherhand i am currnelty designing an aircraft of my own design which i will refer to as the Necron Scorpion, and depending on what people think I may be able to offer a plug for a hole in the boat...

Cheers
Matt

Ravens Claw
07-01-2007, 01:16
Gents
Heres my latests WIP, a necron fihghter of my own design, made out of milliput and greenstuff. Sorry about the quality of the pics, I will endeavour to get better ones up as they come to hand...hope that you like. It is done to match the same scale as the Cadian pattern Thunderbolt. All that is left to do is sculpt the gravitational thrusters underneath the fuselage and sculpt a whole bunch of Necron icons across its exterior...

http://flashpointminiatures.com/forum/Attachments/necron_airspace.jpg

Cheers
Matt

orangesm
07-01-2007, 04:19
Excellent work on those Thunderbolts. Do you have instructions possibly to share for the bold?

I am still personally unsure what the Necrons would actually do or if they had a need for Aircraft. Your sculpt looks good.

Christine
07-01-2007, 10:01
Ooh Anton thats a nice looking Necron aircraft! You know there are a lot of us who are seriously interested in how your designs come out right?

Ravens Claw
07-01-2007, 18:41
Hey Christine...thank you for the feedback
All of my designs come initially from a blob of milliput which I roll evenly and lay between two sheets of platic card, allowing to cure. Once cured the milliput is rigid and durable. Using a pencil I trace an outline on it and then using a very sharp exacto knife i gently sribe through the outline until it can be removed from the waste. Using fine grade sandpaper i clean up the outlines and contours, and then it come time to laying out the plans for the greenstuff. Building from the base upwards I apply GS in layers allowing the previous layer to dry completely before moving on to the next layer.. I have an array of tools which i have made for myself to help me acheive the straight lines. Time and patience is still the key, constantly challenge each subsequent layer and work it until you have it right (then leave it to dry)

That is the basic guideline for how I create these little machines..

Hope it helps

Matt

Greblord
29-01-2007, 09:28
Just to close this post. Forgeworld are running pretty slowly at the moment - this order arrived on Friday 26th Jan - that's 3 weeks.

Christine
29-01-2007, 16:57
Well they've apparently run out of AI bases and aren't expecting them back in until mid-Feb so that's going to put a crimp on a lot of our games I suspect..