PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead.

Christine
05-01-2007, 12:55
So I've been thinking about what type of things that you could make that would tie in with AI and had a couple of ideas firstly being a custom built board. Has anyone else pondered that it would be relatively easy to make a board which had a large clear plastic board that would sit above it resting on carefully concealed pillars (in the form of factory towers, mountains/ high hills etc) upon which you would actually play the game. If done carefully you could make it so that you can change all the terrain and scenery below and still maintain the 'flight board' for playing on.

Whadya think good idea or complete insanity?

Greblord
05-01-2007, 13:16
Ambitious, and prone to the 'great idea, but GW never thought people would do it and therefore it doesn't work' syndrome.

Spacker
05-01-2007, 13:27
So I've been thinking about what type of things that you could make that would tie in with AI and had a couple of ideas firstly being a custom built board. Has anyone else pondered that it would be relatively easy to make a board which had a large clear plastic board that would sit above it resting on carefully concealed pillars (in the form of factory towers, mountains/ high hills etc) upon which you would actually play the game. If done carefully you could make it so that you can change all the terrain and scenery below and still maintain the 'flight board' for playing on.

Whadya think good idea or complete insanity?

Great idea! However, it's going to make moving ground units a bit fiddly, and also removing/replacing damaged/destroyed objectives.

Voronwe[MQ]
05-01-2007, 13:35
Standardisation of the height of Epic terrain (with a set number of things on the board) would be required. It would be even better if you could get a pretty thick transparent plastic plate for it.

@Greblord: I'm familiar with that occasional attitude, but then you should think like this - GW hasn't yet thought of it, but probably will, or might get the idea if one of its hobbyists show it.

@Spacker: What if one made a square-net of plates (say 6 plates), each resting on a scenery piece? Though this would of course require something which linked them together for stability...

Voronwe

Sai-Lauren
05-01-2007, 15:06
As said, that clear plate would certainly make moving anything under it a right pain.

Of course, you could always get some transparent columns (or something similar), put the aircrafts' base on top of that and get the same effect (although you may need to do something to make sure they're not easily knocked over), additionally giving you the option of having the aircraft come down off them for low-level strafing runs, or stacking them for things like dropships burning in from/running to orbit... ;)

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
05-01-2007, 15:49
Good idea. Saw same idea on this years German Games Day even this one was for BFG. Basicly this shows pretty well what it means:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Plasmasturm/aitable.jpg

Christine
05-01-2007, 18:38
Thats the idea :) Do you actually do any ground movement during AI though? I thought that ground movements didn't move because of the difference in scales (aircraft travel quickly - tanks less so....)

Spacker
05-01-2007, 18:54
No, there isn't ground movement - but if you have ground defences or targets to place as part of your deployment, you will need access to the tabletop. Also destroyed defences/vehicles/objectives will need to be removed as necessary. When I wrote "moving ground units" I meant "removing/placing ground units".

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
05-01-2007, 21:17
Well if your table is 48" x 72" you should not have any problems with using this sort of table. If you make those columns carrying the glass 6" high you still should be able to remove or move somthing on the "ground-level" -tabletop.

Christine
05-01-2007, 21:54
I was personally thinking at least 6" which tbh with the type of things you'll find in the 40k universe heightwise isn't to bad.