PDA

View Full Version : Army of Middenland - fieldable?

Cloud Strife
05-01-2007, 15:29
Right I know that I'm not the greatest fan of the Storm of Chaos lists as some of them tended to be overpowered, but of I feel there are some that should still exist in the current gaming world without really needing any changes, if only to have some more characterful and useful armies in the game - like a good Daemonic army, maybe the Errantry list as there have been enough Errantry wars (although still won't use it for my Bret list due to wanting to be fair and wanting to take it to GW GTs), the Sylvanian list works fine to my mind and gives you more character for the army book as a whole.

However, at the moment the only things I tend to continue to use from the book are the Dark Elf magic items like the Draich and the Doombolt bound spell as I don't tend to have space for the 4+ ward save.

But to get back onto topic I was wondering if you felt that the Middenland army should still be allowed to be used and how it would work with the new Empire book mainly with the new magic items and what the points cost should now be for any troops that are selected from the Empire army book. At the moment when I play my brother at home I'm just using the points costs and items that are available from the old book, but that is partly due to not owning the new book yet so I don't know how that should really work.

The other big question would be regarding the weapons that are available - mainly the cavalry hammers, or as they are called in that list - White Wolf Hammers as they have nerfed the White Wolves in the new Empire list, but I was wondering if you think it would be ok for me to carry on using the Middenland (or possibly the Cult of Ulric list from the 2004 Annual) and continuing to use the Hammers as it says there - ie +2 Strength on charge for Cavalry, +1 at all other times, while striking in I order, and using them as +1 Strength striking in I order on foot. The only reasoning I'm thinking for this is that they have defined that as what a White Wolf hammer does so I'm thinking it might be something they reserve for the official Knights of the city and state.

So if anyone has any opinions on how to do this then it would be greatly appreciated as I have far too many Middenland themed conversions (and 20+ White Wolves) sitting at home for me to really be able to put them into an Empire army without getting a lot of new models, and in that case I'd rather start a brand new Empire army if I was going to do that.

ZomboCom
05-01-2007, 17:28
For the cult of ulric list, yes you can certainly use the old white wolf rules, since the list is entirely separate and has it's own (different) points costs for white wolf knights.

The middenheim list doesn't have the stats and points costs of white wolf knights in the list, it refers you to the empire book. Since the empire book no longer has an explicit option for white wolf knights, RAW fanatics will tell you that either the list is illegal or you can't use white wolves with the list any more.

Personally I'd say to agree with the people you usually play with on how you'll play it.

Onisuzume
06-01-2007, 16:40
For the cult of ulric list, yes you can certainly use the old white wolf rules, since the list is entirely separate and has it's own (different) points costs for white wolf knights.
I love you for this.
Since I was planning to start my own cult of ulric and wondered about rule issues concerning the new army book.
Though 1 point still remains; it states that you can take magic items from the Empire army book at the points costs listed there with the exception of a number of magic items because they're either: blessed by a priest of sigmar, or held in the vault in Altdorf.

However, if new sigmarite magic items appear; can the list still take them. (even though it would be unfluffy)
And would they be able to thus take 2 'banners of ulric'?
Or can't the list take any of the new magic items. (if any)

ZomboCom
06-01-2007, 17:35
There are no new magic items in the empire list, just a few changed ones and a lot of new points costs, so there is no problem.

As for 2 banners of ulric? No, of course not.

Onisuzume
07-01-2007, 08:26
There are no new magic items in the empire list, just a few changed ones and a lot of new points costs, so there is no problem.
Well, that's good to know I guess.

As for 2 banners of ulric? No, of course not.
Actually; it'd be the Banner of Ulric and the Banner of the Daemonslayer.
But you're right...
I forgot that the Banner of Ulric was in the Empire army book and not in the Cult of Ulric list.

Still; I find it amazing that the Cult of Ulric list can generate more dispel dice then any dwarf army can. About 21 dispel dice in 2000 points anyone? ^^ (Yes mr. lord kroak, you won't get any spell through this time unless it's irrisistable force)

ZomboCom
07-01-2007, 17:58
Yes, you can get an enormous amount of dispell dice in 2000 points, but the problem is that your army ends up consisting of nothing other than 10 man units of naked warriors of ulric with priests. Great magic defense, awful at everything else.

Onisuzume
07-01-2007, 18:33
Yes, you can get an enormous amount of dispell dice in 2000 points, but the problem is that your army ends up consisting of nothing other than 10 man units of naked warriors of ulric with priests. Great magic defense, awful at everything else.
True, though they probably won't run away. (Fury of Ulric)
Still; one could remove a few units to upgrade the others, making it a more formidable army while still having lots of dispel dice, but then again, magic has been toned down a bit in the 7th edition afaik.
As well as the fact that one doesn't always run into magic using opponents.

Still the list can do most things except out-magic or out-shoot your opponent.

ZomboCom
07-01-2007, 21:52
Yup, I'm a cult player myself, but the fabled 10 man + priest x 100000 is just rubbish. There are plenty of better ways to play the list.

Onisuzume
08-01-2007, 09:58
Yup, I'm a cult player myself, but the fabled 10 man + priest x 100000 is just rubbish. There are plenty of better ways to play the list.
I know it's rubbish, but it's possible to field it.
And I don't believe I said that it's the be-all-end-all. (or something along those line)

One thing makes me wonder though; are warrior of ulric with light armour and shield still cheaper then empire swordsmen?

ZomboCom
08-01-2007, 17:59
In the cult of ulric list, yes, by two points, since the swordsmen price hasn't changed in the cult list, but they're only i3 as opposed to the swordsmen's i4.

In the middenland list they now cost the same, since swordsmen have dropped a point and the men of ulric are more expensive than in the cult, so the men of ulric become trippley useless (special choice, no detatchments and i3). Small units with great weapons are still reasonably viable though.