PDA

View Full Version : Empire - gunline attachments?

Makarion
05-01-2007, 20:24
Over coffee this morning I suddenly got a brainwave. Can you all run the ruler over this one?

The idea is to field a unit of 16 crossbowmen, with 8-man detachments of handgunners. That's 32 ST4 shots per turn (plus any pistoliers/outriders). And, if they get charged, you have the detachments to stand-and-shoot, hopefully turning the tide enough that they can survive the charge. I'm even considering adding command (especially a musician). It should be enough to handle most skirmishers, flying heroes, and some light cavalry.

Total madness, or worth a shot?

EDIT: the title should of course be *de*tachments. I need more coffee.

Griefbringer
05-01-2007, 20:34
And, if they get charged, you have the detachments to stand-and-shoot

Cunning enemy might charge the detachments instead, however.

Chiron
05-01-2007, 20:40
then flee the detachment, failed charge and another round of shooting if you please

by having cavalry stationed behind the detachments the enemy also leaves himself open for a counterattack

Catferret
05-01-2007, 20:47
Have they changed Crossbowmen to State Troops in the new book? I thought only State Troops could take Detachments. Admittedly this may have changed in the new book too.

Chiron
05-01-2007, 20:51
crossbowmen have been changed to state now

I was using them for a mainline unit with detachments for some months before the new book and never realised till I heard of the change, noone ever pointed it out either :?

bigbauske
06-01-2007, 01:02
I am not sure about weather or not crossbowmen are state or not, but I believe they are. Now i like your Idea, but it might play a little borring for you and you opponent.

Sanjuro
06-01-2007, 01:53
crossbowmen have been changed to state now.

OK, that would be a major fluff remake then. Or rather, a return to older background, where the crossbows were more prevailent in Empire armies. That's both surprising and refreshing to hear - I never quite liked the fact that bows and handguns were the most common missile weapons used by the Empire armies. I always thought it should be crossbows and handguns, they just seem to go better together.

Hywel
06-01-2007, 11:24
16 crossbowmen with a further 16 handguns... I think you might find yourself struggling for fire arcs, that frontage is massive unless you're fortunate enough to have an appropriate hill.

DeathlessDraich
06-01-2007, 12:26
32 X 2 = 64 cm wide or 24" wide on flat terrain.
On a hill in 2 ranks 12" wide.

As Hywell mentioned above it will be close to impossible to concentrate all that wide angle shooting on 1 unit. It falls short of the older style Empire gunlines*

This is why 4 Dark Elves Bolt throwers perform far better than their equivalent in Xbow men.

*I use to play against an Empire gunline of Hellblaster and 2 units of 10 Hangunners with the old rules and that was a truly formidable shooting division.
That could handle 2 units of flyers in 1 turn of shooting and if the Hellblaster did not blow up, blast whole units to smithereens.

Axel
06-01-2007, 12:44
Indeed. Either the crossbows are ranked the handguns will be hardpressed to counterfire. You have a frontage that can safely attacked by three units. If they are ranked they are overpriced.

fearchanges
06-01-2007, 16:03
I like the idea and I will give it a try when playing empire again, the only thing is that I've to buy me some crossbowmen. lol

Mephistofeles
06-01-2007, 19:52
Well, with the new rules for placing terrain you always get a hill if you want it...

To answer the question: Yeah, I think it would work very well, but actually I would rather do it like this:

14 Crossbowmen with 2 6-man detachments of free company, and one unit of 14 handgunners with 2 6-man detachments of free company. Counter-charge is so incredibly good, and it also helps you against many pesky things. Most of the time the main unit can stand and shoot, and since detachments counter-charging strike first, instead of doing 32 stand and shoot S4 attacks and then get hit just as hard in combat, you will do 14 stand and shot S4 attacks and then 24 S3 close combat attacks, which will make less enemies be able to hit you, will count for combat resolution AND will negate ranks and give +1 flank bonus!

Sanjuro
07-01-2007, 09:56
Counter-charge is so incredibly good, and it also helps you against many pesky things. Most of the time the main unit can stand and shoot, and since detachments counter-charging strike first, instead of doing 32 stand and shoot S4 attacks and then get hit just as hard in combat, you will do 14 stand and shot S4 attacks and then 24 S3 close combat attacks, which will make less enemies be able to hit you, will count for combat resolution AND will negate ranks and give +1 flank bonus!

Unless you are being charged by ogres or other big gribblies. In which case you are pretty much just handing out more CR to them. :D

Blagrot Squigbreff
07-01-2007, 11:53
@Mephistofeles why do you use 2 detachments? That seems a bit redundant, I've rarely lost the single detachment on my shooters before they get a chance to act.