PDA

View Full Version : Chaos 1000 pts army. Any suggestions?

Khadhar'phak
05-01-2007, 21:04
This is my plans for a new army I'm starting. I'm looking for comments and criticism. Thanks.

Heroes
Exalted Champion(100)
Berserker Sword(40)
Enchanted shield(10)
Mark of Chaos Undivided(0)
(Mounted in Chariot)
(General)

Sorcerer of Chaos(85)
Level 2(35)
Barded Chaos steed(16)
Crown of everlasting conquest(50)

Core
12 Warriors of Chaos(168)
Shields(12)
Full command(30)

Chariot (120)
(Exalted Championís Mount)

5 Warhounds of Chaos(30)

Special
10 Mounted Daemonettes (300)

Army Total: 996 points.

asrian
06-01-2007, 04:26
Out of what you've chosen I'd personally either drop the unit of daemonettes to six and add in some marauders to assist your warriors or else split the unit of daemonettes into two units of five (six if possible).

My army is all cavalry Slaanesh Chaos so my tactics are going to be a bit different than yours with infantry, but I find two units of five to six daemonettes quite flexible.

Nargrakhan
06-01-2007, 04:27
I have a 1000 point Chaos army that I regularly use, which also features a sorcerer. Perhaps listing it here might help you for comparative purposes. Please note that I'm a fluff nut, so I kinda sacrifice flexibility to maintain canon... like keeping 6 in Slaanesh armies. :p

998 of 1000 points – 49 models – 3 power dice – 3 dispel dice

1 Exalted Champion of Slaanesh (170 points)
- Sword of Battle
- Enchanted Shield
- Talisman of Protection

1 Sorceress of Slaanesh (105 points)
- Level 1 Sorcerer (I always select Blissful Throes)

11 Chosen Warriors of Slaanesh (353 points)
- Additional Hand Weapon
- Full Command
- Rapturous Standard
+ accompanied by Exalted Champion

17 Marauders of Chaos (144 points)
- Flails, Light Armour
- Full Command
+ accompanied by Sorceress

18 Marauders of Chaos (151 points)
- Flails, Light Armour
- Full Command

1 Fiend of Slaanesh (75 points)

Now for some personal (thus opinionated) comments about your army. I'm no expert by far, and I lose more than I win, but I need to post on this forum more often, and maybe someone else can correct my idiotic rantings, thus letting me improve. :)

(1) I tend to think that a level 2 wizard in armies less than 1500 points is too expensive if you're not playing a particularly magic happy selection – for example Tzeentch. Naturally its only 35 points, but 1 extra spell and power dice doesn't always work for the best in my experience. But that's just me.

(2) Mounted Daemonettes are too risky at 1000 points. If something goes horribly wrong, you can easily lose 30% of your army (in points and models) in a single turn thanks to Instability. Bad, bad, bad. I love Daemonettes, but you're taking a big chance with this particular setup. Again, that might just be me. :p

Nargrakhan
06-01-2007, 05:53
An addendum to my earlier rantings: I was playing around with your army list in my head, doing a bit of imaginative battles with it, and I'm thinking you should switch out the Mounted Daemonettes and Chaos Warhounds for Chaos Knights.

Greater toughness and the armor factor for the Chaos Knights makes up for the loss of the Ward, and IMHO the higher strength is better than extra attacks in this particular case. Furthermore, you can have your Sorcerer of Chaos join the unit, slightly lessening the need for the Crown of Everlasting Conquest. Lastly it rids the whole Instability thing.

If you do pick to remove that magic item, it easily lets you pick up another Chaos Knight, thus making two units of 6 models each, and conforming to Slaanesh fluff while adding a bit of tactical flexibility. :p Replace the magic item with a Talisman of Protection (not as good as +4 Regen, but +6 Ward can help).

If you were going for the whole superior movement speed of the Mounted Daemonettes, then perhaps switching them out for Marauder Horsemen is viable. Not as powerful as Knights, but it gives you the Fast Calvary option (as well as letting you keep the Sorcerer in a unit), and still rids the Instability.

Of course either path lowers your total model count... something that can a winning factor in 1000 point games.

Just my two cheap cents! :)

Neo799
06-01-2007, 17:58
Agree with others. One character at 1000 pts is enough.

Khadhar'phak
06-01-2007, 18:40
Ok, thanks.

Khadhar'phak
06-01-2007, 19:14
This is the new version, I decided to go for an all mortal army, as I like the idea of Corrupted men of the North. So, the background (is that what fluff is btw?) is going to be that they came from Albion. It's an undivided force by the way, so any tips from undivided players would be great. I like some of the Slaanesh ideas though...

Heroes
Exalted Champion(100)
Berserker Sword(40)
Enchanted shield(10)
Mark of Chaos Undivided(0)
(Mounted in Chariot)
(General)

Core
12 Warriors of Chaos(168)
Shields(12)
Full command(30)

24 Marauders of Chaos(120)
Light armour(24)
Shields(24)
Full command(25)

5 Knights of Chaos Undivided(165)
Full command(30)

5 Marauder Horsemen(65)
Throwing spears(20)
Shields (10)
Full command(30)

Chariot (120)
(Exalted Champion’s Mount)

Army Total: 993 points.

Nargrakhan
07-01-2007, 01:57
I'm thinking those 5 Marauder Horsemen aren't really needed with a Chariot and Knights in your army. Maybe lose them and use the points to get additional Marauders of Chaos... perhaps even enough to divide that mass into two units of 15 each with full command? That would add more "meat" to your army.

What kind of armies do you regularly face (or plan to face)? Sometimes a Berserker Sword is no better than a Sword of Battle. Still... the insurance a Berserker provides with a chariot Hero is good. However, at 40 points, you could get a Sword of Battle and a Talisman of Protection. You get more attacks, but also some Ward insurance. I'm too in love with my own hero setup though, so I suspect there's strong bias on part in this regard.

Magic should only be a major problem for ya if someone plays a wizzie happy force. The 2 default dispel dice can ordinarily keep a level 1 wiz in check within reason.

Khadhar'phak
07-01-2007, 15:17
I mostly face Dwarf players who are 'Old style' in the way they play. In short, lots of crossbows, NO black powder, not even Cannons. I also play against a few dark elf players who tend to take a few wizards.