PDA

View Full Version : A wizard lord character?

Duke of York
06-01-2007, 01:53
I had an idea to do a themed army based on an elector count of averland. Didnt work. Why? Runefangs are just too horrible in battle w/ an empire general:cries:

However using the new generals kit i had made an awesome model for the elector count. This gave me the idea that i could still use the model but for a different lord:

The plan is to make a Warrior/ Wizard Lord. The character would be a level 4 wizard lord with the following items:
sword of battle, Armour of Tarnus, Crystal Ball, Van Horstmann's Speculum (95pts of items).

Thus far the conversion is as follows: It is the body on foot from the general kit(looks like light armor which is perfect for armour of tarnus), the runefang arm with the sword clipped and turned upside down to look as if it is resting in the ground(yes i stole this from WD), the head with wavy hair from the outriders box. Then in an attempt to make him look wizardly using a bit of puddy i made the shield arm look outstretched and i added the open palmed hand from the cannon crew box. I then placed a rounded bit of putty in the outstretched hand. This makes it seam as if he has a crystal ball in his hands.

My first question is this, how can i make it clear that this model is a wizard lord. i want to use him in tournaments and thus wish him to clearly be marked as a wizard. As it is he could be EASILY confused.

I hope to add to his wizardly feel with the paint job. He is a death wizard so his hair is grey with purple streaks going through it. His armour is either going to be black or dark purple. His sword will be grey like a stone(no metalics will be used on the model). The crystal ball will be a swirl of a bunch of different colors. His skin is going to be lightly drybrushed with elf flesh giving him a deathly pale look.

My second question: good color sceem? If so what should i paint the troops purple and what else...

My last question is this:will he and his personal army (he is somewhat evil and misguided:skull: ) work as fluff? Will he be an effective character on the battlefield? What types of troops will he be fielding? Any other advise?

Thanks in advance for any advice/critiqueing you all may have for me. It will be most apreciated.

Move Fast Hit Low
06-01-2007, 02:10
well i roll with HE and the way i make my converted mage standout is use a similar color scheme to the rest of the troops but make the color that you see in the least spearmen you will see the most in the mage, i did a whole lot of symbols on the back of his cloak, a staff of any kind also helps tho

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-01-2007, 06:08
That sounds good to me, bro. An excellent idea and some great conversion plans. You could also try making the base different, like dead grass/skeletons/skulls...hey, the Hero Basing Kit would be perfect! Think death magic-y. Also, maybe a robe/cape with a high collar would help. OO! And a circlet around his brow...geeze, you're making ME want to do this conversion!

Voltaire
06-01-2007, 08:39
The simple minded Empire would follow a Wizard lord simply because he appeared to be so powerful to them. They would jump and he was decided how high to propel them, so to speak.

Colour Schemes...make it more grand than your troops.

Appearance wise a good beard marks a Wizard out from the rest...not to stereotype of course.

Dranthar
06-01-2007, 08:51
Well to make him more wizardy I think a beard, cape and wizards hat would be the way to do it. Unfortunately that requires some modelling so I guess an alternative is to paint his eyes to look like they're glowing and add lots of arcane symbols to his clothes/armour.
If you can find some sort of model to use as a familiar to stick with him, then that'd also help.

Also, you seem pretty set on making him a death wizard but have you considered using the lore of beasts instead? The first spell on the list (IIRC) is the one that gives a bonus to various stats, which would make him almost decent in combat when he's fighting basic troops or not using Van Horstmann's Speculum.

Duke of York
07-01-2007, 03:41
The conversion is complete and the painting process has begun!! Yay

To make him look more wizardly i cut off the staff of one of the sixth edition wizards shaved off the hand (this part took a LOT longer than i thought it would, almost 3 hours of sanding away with the file!!!) and with a putty strap attached it to his back. He really does look a bit like a more wizardly Arthus(WCIII).

His army is going to feature 1 cannon and no other black powder. It is a town just outside of von carstien realm. THe units colors are purple and yellow and all there banners feature a black hour glass on them. I will have knights from that order that hunts undead.

The wizard looks awesome, thanks for all of the suggestions.

two more questions though:

1) What do you all think of this themed army idea?

2) What is that knightly order called that hunts undead again, and what are there colors???

Thanks again for all the help:)

samw
07-01-2007, 03:57
1) What do you all think of this themed army idea?

2) What is that knightly order called that hunts undead again, and what are there colors???

Thanks again for all the help:)

Very cool idea. How I personally would explain it is one of the higher-ups from the Amythest college finally losing it and going for all out war on the necromancers, who these guys hate most of all. You're thinking of Morr for the knights, and it's black and purple if I remember correctly, there were some fabulous conversions in White Dwarf a while ago. (When the magazine was good! :p ) If you're going to include priests I'd say call them priests of Morr (same stats and everything) and keep the colour scheme, maybe do a head swap or two to make them look less Sigmary. Icon of Magnus is going to be a must I think. Considered a light wizard for a Ying and yang thing? Lots of crossbows of course, pistoliers/outriders as witch-hunters, flagellents as crazed minions of your wizard, plenty of free company as local townsfolk. Just my thoughts.

Petey
07-01-2007, 18:56
Your conversion is wizardly enough. He's an empire character without a shield or great weapon (and isn't obviously an engineer) You've done all you need to do to make him WYSIWYG. Slap anyone who tells you otherwise.
As to the undead hunting knights, really any order will do it, but the ones most hellbent on it are the "Dread Knight of Morr" their symbols, not surprisingly, are the rose and skull. Skulls as helmets would be a good touch.
As to color schemes, i feel the wizards in your army should be a different color from the army itself (wizards are rare and stand apart).

Onisuzume
07-01-2007, 19:16
The Black Guard of Morr ofcourse...
Though that poses a problem, since they pretty much always travel alone or in small groups. (minimum sized units I guess)
As for their colours; the name would suggest something I guess. (That, and the white dwarf article (UK WD 279) doesn't mention the colour of their armour)

not surprisingly, are the rose and skull. Skulls as helmets would be a good touch.
As to color schemes
With the skulls holding a rose in their mouths? ^^

Duke of York
07-01-2007, 19:48
So what do i do with them? Blocks of five or six knights together painted black and.. i think someone told me purple???? Then place skulls on the top of their helms or something.

Do they use lances or hammers?

And how do you paint black armour, ive always wondered do just leave it black from the spray paint or to you use black wash or something??

By the way where did you get the fluff saying they travel in small units?

Mephistofeles
07-01-2007, 20:58
Well, it's a really cool idea, but well, he won't really be very good at fighting, unless he happens to find himself in a challenge, in which case he will rock ^^

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
08-01-2007, 05:05
You can paint by just leaving the black undercoat on and then painting on top some 'Ardcoat (which I've often read about but have never seen), clear varnish, or a super thin coat of resin. Looks super fantastic on a model. I think they talked about it in the WD all about the Empire, or whichever one did the Elector Count models.

And you don't necessarily have to field them in small groups on the battlefield to be fluffy. They could have all banded together for a certain amount of time, or for a certain goal, or blah blah blah...that's the best part: you can make up whatever you want and as long as it makes sense, you're golden. Heck, even if it doesn't make sense people will still "ooo" and "aah" and nod like it does.

I believe they're armed with lammers, which are combination lance-hammers. Mighty hammer heads mounted on the end of sturdy lances. Don't ask me how they work. Also, I'm pulling that out of my butt.

lector#1
08-01-2007, 14:53
I had an idea to do a themed army based on an elector count of averland. Didnt work. Why? Runefangs are just too horrible in battle w/ an empire general:cries:

However using the new generals kit i had made an awesome model for the elector count. This gave me the idea that i could still use the model but for a different lord:

The plan is to make a Warrior/ Wizard Lord. The character would be a level 4 wizard lord with the following items:
sword of battle, Armour of Tarnus, Crystal Ball, Van Horstmann's Speculum (95pts of items).

Thus far the conversion is as follows: It is the body on foot from the general kit(looks like light armor which is perfect for armour of tarnus), the runefang arm with the sword clipped and turned upside down to look as if it is resting in the ground(yes i stole this from WD), the head with wavy hair from the outriders box. Then in an attempt to make him look wizardly using a bit of puddy i made the shield arm look outstretched and i added the open palmed hand from the cannon crew box. I then placed a rounded bit of putty in the outstretched hand. This makes it seam as if he has a crystal ball in his hands.

My first question is this, how can i make it clear that this model is a wizard lord. i want to use him in tournaments and thus wish him to clearly be marked as a wizard. As it is he could be EASILY confused.

I hope to add to his wizardly feel with the paint job. He is a death wizard so his hair is grey with purple streaks going through it. His armour is either going to be black or dark purple. His sword will be grey like a stone(no metalics will be used on the model). The crystal ball will be a swirl of a bunch of different colors. His skin is going to be lightly drybrushed with elf flesh giving him a deathly pale look.

My second question: good color sceem? If so what should i paint the troops purple and what else...

My last question is this:will he and his personal army (he is somewhat evil and misguided:skull: ) work as fluff? Will he be an effective character on the battlefield? What types of troops will he be fielding? Any other advise?

Thanks in advance for any advice/critiqueing you all may have for me. It will be most apreciated.

i say give him some spell books from worrior priests or even a staff strapped to his back something easy to recognise the magical abbility

Dranthar
09-01-2007, 00:08
If you're thinking priests, a standard priest of Sigmar would be totally acceptable. It doesn't really matter where the army comes from, I think if they're off to hunt undead then a priest of Sigmar would be more than happy to lend his assistance.

Anyay, it's a cool theme - like it.

Dogskills
09-01-2007, 00:57
Duke of York when you are done with the conversion and painting please post a pic!

Duke of York
09-01-2007, 20:16
Ok this is the plan... turns out after some research and consulting with others on various forums it has come to my attention that the followers of morr are really too passive to side in any way with an insain death mage (they hate death mages to begin with)...

SO instead he is going to be a high priest of Morr that has... lets say lost his way;) He will represent a level4 wizard lord with death magic because the arch lector prayers are completely unfitting for a priest of Morr. So it is the same old character with the same old stuff but a small albeit important backround change.

As for the army and its conversions i have found it I am slowly becoming more and more ambitious with this project, which is a problem for I would call my converting skills fair at best and my painting mediocre... But just for Morr i will endeaver to do my best!! :D

Dogskills: i will try to post some picks in the next couple of weeks. I hope the models wont look too bad. Thus far my wizard lord has been completely converted complete with a scull at the top of his staff. I have taken a unit of swordsmen to be my test unit and i just finished painting them and they turned out pretty cool. A little too dark even for morr so i had to add some yellow on ribbons in such just so they could be seen. Their skin is nice and pale just as if they have seen the living dead... wait they have:D

Onisuzume
09-01-2007, 21:08
If you're thinking priests, a standard priest of Sigmar would be totally acceptable. It doesn't really matter where the army comes from, I think if they're off to hunt undead then a priest of Sigmar would be more than happy to lend his assistance.

Anyay, it's a cool theme - like it.
Get a priest of Ulric instead. :p
The rules for them can be found in UK WD 279.
One of their prayers is *very* useful when fighting undead. (or daemons, or other nasty things that cause fear or terror)

MarcoPollo
10-01-2007, 05:12
Battle mages tend to draw alot of attention and their role can be undefined for you. I have tried using them with slaanesh. You get a real nasty combo with battle mages and this chaos deity. But on the pitch, I have found that I tend to hesitate whether to get him stuck in or keep him back and use him to pound my enemy. If I commit to combat to early, I risk loosing him to combat and wasting any magic missile spells that can be effective. If I hesitate to send him to combat, I can loose out on his points that I spent tooling him up for combat. It is a difficult decision to make sometimes.

Given the random nature of luck in this game, a battle mage lord can create some confusion in your own mind and a lower leadership can cause confusion amoungst the troops.

After learning the hard way, I say stick with what is consistent. Don't send a mage to fight a captains battles. You don't even get that great a fighter, even with a horstman's speleculum. Mages should cast spells, and fighters should fight with swords. Unless you are tzeetch, or have some really kick @$$ stuff with you. Keep your mages out of harms way.

vinush
10-01-2007, 07:50
Cannons are meant to be really expensive, so if it's a small village I'm not sure if it could afford one.

Vince.

Onisuzume
10-01-2007, 08:48
Cannons are meant to be really expensive, so if it's a small village I'm not sure if it could afford one.

Vince.
Well, the Stirland river patrol from "A tale of 4 gamers" had a cannon...

Mephistofeles
10-01-2007, 12:06
The Stirland River patrol is a rather large regiment is it not? Not as large as the Altdorf or Nuln regiments of course, but still rather sizeable?

vinush
10-01-2007, 18:56
And the stirland river patrol is officially sanctioned by the elector of Stirland to do the job of protecting the river.

Vince.

Duke of York
10-01-2007, 21:04
This is the town that is financed and owned by the disciples of morr. They are a relatively large faction compared to most (anyways) so they could definitely afford at least 1 cannon.