PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my Empire (2000)

grashnak
06-01-2007, 08:05
Arch Lector (in swordsmen #1)
Great Weapon, Heavy Armor
Holy Relic, Doomfire Ring

Captain (in swordsmen #2)
BSB
Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sword of Might

Warrior Priest (knights)
Barded Steed, shield
Dawn Armour, Sword of Battle

Battle Wizard
Level 2
Dispel Scroll, Ring of Volans

24 swordsmen
full command
DETACHMENT: 12 Free Company
DETACHMENT: 10 handgunners

24 Swordsmen
Full Command
DETACHMENT: 10 Halberdiers
DETACHMENT: 10 Crossbowmen

10 Handgunners
Marksman, Rep. Handgun
DETACHMENT: 5 Free Company
DETACHMENT: 5 Archers

5 Knights of the Empire

5 Knights of the Inner Circle
Full Command, Warbanner

5 Pistoliers
Marksman, repeater pistol

Cannon

Mortar

PD: 4 (+ 5 Bound Spells)
DD: 6
Models: 131 (inc 2 warmachines)

Okay, my main question is whether its a good army. Second, do you think i should swap out the unit of 5 vanilla knights for a rocket launcher? I'm tempted by it greatly. Thanks in advance!

GRASHNAK

BenK
06-01-2007, 12:42
I just wrote up my own list which turns out very similar. Arch-Lector certainly seems the best of the lord choices, although I didn't choose it for theme. Myself, I'd ditch the inner circle, give the full command to the vanilla kniggets and use the points either on greatswords, flaggies, or a war machine.

Crube
06-01-2007, 12:48
Personally, I'd be inclined to ditch one of the units of 5 knights, and merge them with the other to make a unit of 10 (or 9, plus the character), just to make them more survivable. In my experience, units of 5 Heavy cavalry just die horribly....

I'd also lose the detatchments on the Handgunners and just get more handgunners...

I'm trying to fit one of those Rocket Launcher things in my army at the moment - they just sound so cool....we'll see though

BenK
06-01-2007, 13:03
Here's my list for comparsion. Quite similar, as you can see:

Empire General, Full Plate, Shield, and Great weapon. Barded Warhorse. To be fielded with center swordsmen.

Captain BSB, Full Plate, to be fielded with center swordsmen.

Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Great Weapon, Barded Warhorse. To be fielded with kniggets.

Bright Wizard (level 2), Van Horstmann's speculum, Wizard's staff, Barded Warhorse. Roving unit / Lord hunter.

Center swordsmen, 23 swordsmen.
Detatchment: 10 Halberdiers.
Detatchment: 10 Handgunners.

Protected flank swordsmen, 25 swordsmen.

Open flank Greatswords, 25 Greatswords.

6 Kniggets, full command.

6 Pistoliers, musician.

2 Cannon.

samw
06-01-2007, 15:04
Arch Lector (in swordsmen #1)
Great Weapon, Heavy Armor
Holy Relic, Doomfire Ring

Well first off I'd say take the holy relic off your Arch Lector. He can conjure himself up a wardsave anyway. I'd also be very tempted to give him Van Horstmann's, to really scare enemy characters who will expect it to be elsewhere.

Captain (in swordsmen #2)
BSB
Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sword of Might

All good.

Warrior Priest (knights)
Barded Steed, shield
Dawn Armour, Sword of Battle

The priest isn't that special to give him all that protection, like I say he can magic himself up a ward save. Ditch the dawn armour.

Battle Wizard
Level 2
Dispel Scroll, Ring of Volans

Ok, but for me even the cut price Volans isn't great. Considered a power stone?

24 swordsmen
full command
DETACHMENT: 12 Free Company
DETACHMENT: 10 handgunners

Cool.

24 Swordsmen
Full Command
DETACHMENT: 10 Halberdiers
DETACHMENT: 10 Crossbowmen

Cool.

10 Handgunners
Marksman, Rep. Handgun
DETACHMENT: 5 Free Company
DETACHMENT: 5 Archers

Personally I'd rather just get more handgunners than try and protect the few you have. The marksman can be good if you worry about frontage so keep him if you like.

5 Knights of the Empire

I'd say drop these guys and boost the other knight unit a model or two, still in a single line. It helps with casualties.

5 Knights of the Inner Circle
Full Command, Warbanner

Boosted and with the priest riding they should be a nice hammer

5 Pistoliers
Marksman, repeater pistol

Cool.

Cannon

Mortar

Warmachines are good. Plus I think you should have the points now for a Helstorm. :)

grashnak
06-01-2007, 18:34
Well if I take out the 5 knights i can just add a the Rocket Battery.

Then If I remove the Dawn Armor afrom the Warrior Priest and the Holy Relic from the General, I can add 77 more points. I'll give the pistoliers a musician and then do what with the last 70?

Jackster
06-01-2007, 19:14
Boost up inner circle knights.

grashnak
07-01-2007, 08:22
But isnt boosting up the IC Knights kind of pointless? I mean i wont be able to get more knights intoa fight than i already have, and each knight buys me 5 Troops. It's either 5 more knights or one whole unit of guys...

GRASHNAK

samw
07-01-2007, 09:02
But isnt boosting up the IC Knights kind of pointless? I mean i wont be able to get more knights intoa fight than i already have, and each knight buys me 5 Troops. It's either 5 more knights or one whole unit of guys...

GRASHNAK

No, because as it stands for every casualty you take you're losing combat effectiveness. You've pointed out their cost, and thet's why your opponents warmachines will be aimed at them. You need to be able to soak up a casualty or two. We're not saying boost them to ten, boost them to 6 or 7, add the priest, and deploy them in a line. It'll still give you points to play with.