PDA

View Full Version : Wing size- for those planning to buy the book

fattdex
06-01-2007, 11:31
Hello,
I'm planning to buy the book and some models, but shipping to Austrilia sucks $ wise, so I would like to be able to get everything at once. Could anybody please post a reccomended list of aircraft to buy for each army? I have no Idea what to start out with, how many bombers to fighters etc.

Voronwe[MQ]
06-01-2007, 15:01
72 aircraft. That's roughly a standard-sized Navy Wing. I'm actually tempted to convince two mates and my brother to collectively collect a whole Wing, or do it myself and gradually force them to collect Tau, Necrons, Eldar, Chaos or other Imperial (or other human empires/minor factions) aircraft forces.

I have no idea, too, but I'll make up a rough template for my Wing's constitution.

Voronwe

Kiro
06-01-2007, 15:03
72!? :eek:
You'd have to sell your family to afford that! What happened to the saner figures people have been throwing around?

fattdex
06-01-2007, 15:22
I meant for an average game :P 72 aircraft, while they might look great on the shelf, would probably break the bank, the shelf and my sanity

Brimstone
06-01-2007, 17:00
Don't worry that number has no basis in reality, most AI games will be half a dozen models per size roughly.

t-tauri
06-01-2007, 17:23
Mine arrived this morning. The scenarios in the rulebook have between three and twelve or so models a side. Models used are the planes and the anti-aircraft guns.

I've only flicked through and had a scan over the scenarios. For Imperials 2/4 fighters and single bombers is average, though the bomber raid has 4 bombers, eight fighters. Fighters always in pairs for Imperials. Valks, Thunderhawks and arvuses used for insertion missions. Chaos one to five fighters, one or two bombers. Orks and Tau similar. They all use AA vehicles or platforms in certain scenarios.

As well as the scenarios there are points lists values for all available units.

marv335
06-01-2007, 17:40
i plan to have 8 thunderbolts, 8 lightnings (2 attack and 2 strike) and 4 marauders (2 bombers, 2 destroyers) that should form a realistic wing with everything i should need.
decent ground attack, decent air defence.
i'll maybe pick up some vultures/valkyries/arvus/aquilla later.

Lt. Co Steel
06-01-2007, 17:49
i had planned to get 4 mauruders, but somthing tells me this would be inpractical in a game, i don't think you can go all mauruders anyway, can you?

Voronwe[MQ]
06-01-2007, 19:58
Take it easy folks: I will probably "only" collect one and a half dozen airplanes, but 72 is the organisation number I've decided I want, since I'd be madder than mad if I tried that in 40k instead of the one chance one have with Epic. Of course, it's expensive to a degree I truly can't afford, but still it'd be fun, and I don't think the Epic airplanes are too bad in comparison to FW planes; at least they suffice to me, I think. And then there is the possibility to make one's own planes out of plasticard and Green Stuff...

We'll see :).

@Lt. Co Steel: It would be interesting to use them in a diamond formation with Thunderbolt fighters as support in strategic bombing mission, but 4 Marauders sounds like bigger games involving one and a half to two dozen airplanes.

Voronwe

xibo
06-01-2007, 22:47
Valks, Thunderhawks and arvuses used for insertion missions.

As well as the scenarios there are points lists values for all available units.
Damn, I like the Valkyries and Arvus (the models) most in normal 40k. Are those also availible in normal missions or just in insertion? After all a valkyrie can be equiped with loads of weapons ( I don't know how weapon loadouts are in AI ).