PDA

View Full Version : To kill a stunti...

Malduran
06-01-2007, 14:57
Hi, i have an upcoming game against my friends dwarf army which is a tough nut to crack. He generally uses 3 large blocks of infentry back up by god knows how much artillery and thunderes and a dwarf lord tooled to the teeth.
could any one suggest how i could go about killing the bearded foe?

cheers

kir
06-01-2007, 15:03
maybe we could know what army you are playing?

Malduran
06-01-2007, 15:38
o yer... sorry, i play O&G, my mistake

Coragus
06-01-2007, 15:46
O&G against Dwarfs, huh? Here's what I suggest.

Take a couple units of wolf riders to run around the flanks and charge his artillery. Take gobbo spear chukkas and concentrate fire on the center of his infantry line. Move two units of your own infantry up to meet his center after the spear chukkas have removed some ranks for you. Keep a smaller infantry unit to each side of you main infantry to keep him from flank charging you if you don't break and run down the first target.

Concentrate on one unit of the three blocks you described. Leave the Arrer Boyz at home since they will hit almost nothing and will kill almost nothing they hit.

If you have them, Boar Boyz are nice too, and can be used in the center as I described above. If so, don't give into the temptation to charge them ahead of their supporting units.

I'd wish you good luck, but I'm a former O&G player that defected to Dwarfs!

fearchanges
06-01-2007, 15:52
use squig herd, they are really nasty with their 2A S5 each, that will chew those dwarfs up for good, besides that when they rampage in their lines they cause also havoc.
An other thing is that they are immune to Psychology and there for great for your flank.

Von Wibble
06-01-2007, 15:56
Skarsnik is useful vs artillery.

Squig herds are also useful as they are I believe immune to panic and so can just rush towards the enemy, kill a few, die, and then kill more on the rampage.

There are 2 approaches to weathering the storm of dwarf firepower - target denial (speciality of wood elves), where you give him nothing viable to shoot at through use of terrain, or target overload, (suited to horde armies such as O+G), where he has so much to shoot down within a short space of time that some things will get through. My chaos opponent facing my empire generally has 2 blocks of chaos knights, dragon ogres, chariots, and a giant. If he gets first turn I get 1 turn to shoot all of that down, so I have to engage some of it in combat.

Useful targets to present therefore need to cover a short frontage to maximise their numbers. Giants, chariots and most well constructed orc foot units could achieve this (yes they are slow but they are also cheap).

Other recommandations would be on magic. Either go for it fully (L4 and 2 if not 3 level 2s) or don't bother - a casual attempt at it wil be dispelled by the 7+ dispel dice and magic resistance easily fielded by any dwarf army ofthat size. Dwarfs as an army are vulnerable to magic as long as you can get throught the defense in the first place. If you can use spells to destroy thunderers and then outflank the foot units you are there. Easier said than done I know. Taking no magic of course gives an effective points advantage as it is a huge gamble for a dwarf army not to invest anything in defense.

Finally I would definately have a war machine or 2 as these can hurt foot units badly. But don't take war machines at teh expense of any of teh above suggeations.