PDA

View Full Version : music and warhammer40k

Groksnag
06-01-2007, 18:35
How many of you play music during a game? I need to know some good warhammer40K-ish music. if you DO play music while playing, I would greatly appreciate it if you specify the name of the song, and who it's by. Thank you WarSeer.

Greatoliver
06-01-2007, 19:08
Nah, we never listen when we play. Perhaps it's so we can hear better, though there is no real reason.

Just never happens.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
06-01-2007, 19:12
only one song ? :(

well ok.. Antiflesh - "This Parasite Mankind" works well. Since im primarily a necron player any and all Death-robot music works perfectly.

Lt. Co Steel
06-01-2007, 19:19
me and my brother play music whenever we play at home, usaully consists of the war of the world musical (not the new one, the one narrated by Richard Burton with david essex as well), not one of the greats, but it has the right theme for the whole grim future thing. any, most, rock music goes as well.

Slekith
06-01-2007, 19:25
God bless the DAWN OF WAR SOUNDTRACK!! :D

Gearux
06-01-2007, 19:30
I find that the Halo 2 soundtrack is a good one, also any of Led Zeppelins latter stuff, very dark and mysterious.

Iron Buddha
06-01-2007, 19:47
at the local store i go to they regularly have queen's greatest hits playing, but thats the only thing that is played often enough for me to think of it as music that i listen to while playing.

UnRiggable
06-01-2007, 19:48
Why, techno of course!

Really, I listen to Tool when I play.

lord_blackfang
06-01-2007, 20:08
Every once in a while we put on the original Command & Conquer soundtrack.

Shadowfax
06-01-2007, 20:14
We almost always have music playing. No particular genre/artist, we play just about anything you could imagine.

The record with the most 40K thematic flavour is probably Boris - Akuma No Uta.

Cirenivel
06-01-2007, 20:20
sometimes we listen to the radio while playing, but that's mostly it

Cirenivel

The Judge
06-01-2007, 20:22
Doesn't matter what's on... but something always is.

I get jittery if there is no music on, at all times.

Sarge
06-01-2007, 20:23
Depends on your army, your personal preference, and the like. I suggest for:

Sisters of Battle -End of all Hope-by Nightwish, very dark moody, and the chick's voice is awesome, a little opera, a little metal, all wonderful.

(Really anything by Nightwish, with a few exceptions, would work for the Sisters of Battle/Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters.)

Space Wolves -Sons of Odin-by Manowar, old hair style metal band, mainly sings about war, honor, and the old norse gods.

White Scars -Return of the Warlords-by Manowar, just for the line "You know it feels so great, wearing leather, on a horse of steel I ride." Since the White Scars a basically bike mobile, the song fits them well.

(Really anything by Manowar will match any SM chapter)

Chaos Space Marines -Down with the Sickness-by Disturbed, come on, the song just suits them so well.

Lost and the Damned -Pulse of the Maggots-by Korn, the title alone says it all.

Catachan -Paint it Black-by Rolling Stones, old 70's Vietnam music, just fits these guys so well.

Imperial Guard -Trooper-by Iron Maiden, "You'll take my life, but I'll take your's too" nough said.

(Me and many fellow ex and current guard players beleive the IG and PDF are Iron Maiden fans. So anything by Iron Maiden will work.)

Groksnag
06-01-2007, 20:30
what about Orks? Im stuck on something for the Orks, just anything but death metal. im not particularly fond of it.

Son-Of-Sparda
06-01-2007, 20:39
Yes, this happens more often than not.
Usually VNV Nation (PTF 2012), Sisters of Mercy and Rammstein.
Although there is other, similar music that would suit killing your buddies in space.

scrubout
06-01-2007, 20:40
Though I haven't played any games with music, I suggest what I use when painting.

Pirates of the Caribbean sountrack, namely Barbossa is Hungry with those insane booming drums, is a nice divergence from the "I am iron man" black sabbath deal.

I can also vouch for Halo soundtracks, 1, 2, and most likely 3 when it's released. Got some nice mellow classical/ambient/chorus stuff in there, along with a few rock tunes thrown in for good measure.

Command and Conquer soundtrack, Hell March is worth note, and the orginal game's soundtrack is nice too. Haha, talk about biased, if anyone notices my avatar.

Lastly is Daft Punk, two French guys with synthesizers, nuff' said.

If I were to play these during gaming sessions, I would suggest the soundtracks, especially Halo, because they tend to carry the sci fi atmosphere without lyrical distraction. I think that's most important, I feel singers and heavy guitars will tend to draw attention more away from the game, where as if you put on some classical-esque music it will just provide a backdrop for the action...much like a movie. And I base this on absolutely nothing.

Hope I helped somehow.

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

Albatross
06-01-2007, 20:42
Entombed is usually played. And Sabton for a few laughs.
To Orks one thing and one thing only can be played: Oi!
Blitz, Condemned84, 4skins some OiPolloi would be quite brilliat for orks.

Takitron
06-01-2007, 20:42
sometimes we listen to Bolt Thrower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_Thrower_(band)).

Just for kicks ;)

mattjgilbert
06-01-2007, 20:46
I've never played music while playing any game system. It's never occured to me to do so.

Plus now it would mean fixing up a hi-fi or ipod dock or something in the games room. Too much effort for me I'm afraid :)

Simsandwich
06-01-2007, 20:53
The Ricky Gervais Show. Has me in stitches every time.

Steel_Legion
06-01-2007, 21:08
Unfortunatly we dont have access to music player devices at my local club, sometimes I might bring my laptop or something, but very rarely, like once a year... the Gladiator OST rocks for gaming i find

Vaktathi
06-01-2007, 21:09
For Imperial Guard, the song Hell March from C&C Red Alert ALWAYS applies.

Colonel Max
06-01-2007, 21:13
Try the soundtrack to Empire Strikes Back,or some classical stuff.Holst's The Planets "Mars" theme could BE the theme for 40K.

guillimansknight
06-01-2007, 21:22
Every once in a while we put on the original Command & Conquer soundtrack.

omg i LOVE that track

i sometimes play slipknot and some cool war music(like the Command & Conquer soundtrack)

Joewrightgm
06-01-2007, 22:01
At my GW shop here in MI, we listen to everything from Star Wars tracks, the Italian Job, Lord of the Rings, some random techno stuff.

When setting up for 40k in general, I like listening to War Pigs by Black Sabbath. Just good mood setting music. I also like the monastic chant tracks from the Dawn of War soundtrack.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
06-01-2007, 22:18
Tenacious D the first album! but that may just be that my friends and I love the album.

Otherwise I find war movie OSTs are good like Full Metal Jacket OST.

Sometimes just some classic chillout - Adagio for strings is good for the more cinematic feel.

Steel_Legion
06-01-2007, 23:10
For Imperial Guard, the song Hell March from C&C Red Alert ALWAYS applies.

Couldnt be more right! Infact anything from the RA2 soundtrack is a winner!
Isnt the German "We want war, wake up!" or something in that song?
Edit: wait... is that even in German? Im confused now after listening to it. (Friend has aa copy of the original CD from years ago, it rocks!)

Colonel Stagler
06-01-2007, 23:34
Man im always puttin music on when i play 40k, either bolt thrower, some man o war, sonata arctica, dragonforce , or some turisas , good battle metal music always sets the mood.

redbaron998
07-01-2007, 00:14
Even if I am not acutally listining to music I am playing it in my head as the battle wages

Steel_Legion
07-01-2007, 00:22
some classical music can be good, like Flight of the Valkyries or 1812, but mostly rock metal i would guess, Maiden, Dragonforce etc, not a huge bolt thrower fan personally, just dont really like them, touch too growly for me

Killgore
07-01-2007, 00:30
my more regular oponunt and i when i still had my flat before being evicted used to play whilst listening to Iron Maiden, Hammerfall and Manowar

yyyea Metal.

we'v also had enjoyable games of 40k when watching starship troopers and the battle of britain

Lord Malek The Red Knight
07-01-2007, 01:45
i voted "never", as i dont play music when playing 40K.
if im playing at home i would rather concentrate on the game, or the conversation etc - i dont have a stereo, PC or TV set in the games room.
when playing at GW theres always music on (but i dont get to choose it, hence why i voted "never"... maybe you should have asked "do you listen to music...";)), but its a bit different there, as the room is full of people: seems less rude to listen to music when there is more than the 2 of you in the room.

as for suggestions...

anything by Rhapsody, or "Tonight The Stars Revolt!" by Powerman 5000.

that should do ya. oh and i second the vote for Nightwish. :)

~ Tim

pantera
07-01-2007, 01:52
Regardless, Im always listening to music, but I find its a must for warhammer. Tool, Pantera, Metallica (especially "And justice for all"... come on, One?), Lamb of God... anything heavy.

USABOB
07-01-2007, 01:59
Never, it is easier to talk without background noise. There is always a good discussion going on at my club.

ThousandPlateaus
07-01-2007, 02:11
At the moment, it's just Crystal Castles - but that's simply because I can't do anything without them I'm so obsessed rather than being anything to do with 40k.

DhaosAndy
07-01-2007, 02:12
Sometimes, my preference is for Black Sabbath or King Crimson, or indeed any good prog. rock. :evilgrin:

tesseract
07-01-2007, 02:30
Sometimes, my preference is for Black Sabbath or King Crimson, or indeed any good prog. rock. :evilgrin:

Word!!
I also like to listen to Clutch or The Mars Volta while playing

Zazz
07-01-2007, 02:52
some good music i noticed: (not just for playing the game but also for thinking up army lists or painting.)

for Chaos: Dimmu Borgir - "Progenies of the Great Apocalyse." "Puritania" is also good for Necrons. (Dimmu Borgir in general works well for 40k)
for Tyranids: The Shadow of the Colossus OST. Any side with a bunch of monstrous creatures fits well here. (also the themes for the tiny colossi works well with onrushing critters). Or if you want something harder, try Rob Zombie - "Superbeast."
for Daemon Hunters: Grab your Vampire Killer whip and try any of the Castlevania games' music. They all got awesome soundtracks.
for Tau: lots of Mecha makes me just think of stuff from Super Robot Wars. though i doubt i'd see Farsight rush at the enemy with the his big ol' sword all Sanger Zomvolt style. then again that sounds totally awesome. Or if that ain't up your alley, try the CD Music from Mechwarrior 2. DELIGHT!
for Space Marines: Power metal! And lots of it. Rhapsody and Hammerfall are a good place to start. Manowar - "Warriors of the World" works real well too.
for Eldar: big bunches of Nightwish seems like their kinda thing.
for IG: Hell March. And some other RTS music for good measure. Check out the Dark Reign games.
for Orks: the theme from benny hill. (also known as the yakkity sax.) :p

Meticulous
07-01-2007, 03:30
for Orks: the theme from benny hill. (also known as the yakkity sax.) :p

That's...beautiful...

On-topic, most definately Manowar for Space Wolves. Red Army Choir for anything Imperial. Beyond that, can't pull anything off the top of my head...

Edit: Oh, just where would I get my hands on the DoW soundtrack? Short of digging into the CD and copying it from there...

Mr.terminatorbob
07-01-2007, 03:34
Lastly is Daft Punk, two French guys with synthesizers, nuff' said.

-peace out
scrubout:skull:
Daft punk does werid stuff to you,like its all werid and stuff. Scince like when you listen to like "the brain washer" in the end it all goes like hyponotic and make you really dizzy, at least thats what happens to me.

Albatross
07-01-2007, 03:47
for Orks: the theme from benny hill. (also known as the yakkity sax.)

You are not serious are you? I mean I pretty much like the "crazy weird comicrelief" feel of the orks but that is just plain .....i dont know....stupid?
Listen to some good Oi!. Thats aggro, aggresive and all about violence. Then you can come back with your silly shi*t.

Arch-Traitor Horus
07-01-2007, 03:48
rise against is another good band to listen to while playing our GW usually have placebo n stuff like that on

Hawkmoon
07-01-2007, 03:51
sometimes we listen to Bolt Thrower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_Thrower_(band)).

Just for kicks ;)

Total respect for the ONLY person who mentioned the official band of the 40k Universe. (Well, the RT era 40k Universe that is)

As for our group, Iron Maiden, Pre-Black Album Metallica, Manowar, Blind Guardian....basically anything to whip you into a frenzy of Bloodlust :evilgrin:

And a great song for the CSM or LTD is Enemies of Reality by Nevermore.

Laughingmonk
07-01-2007, 04:17
I sometimes play music while playing, and I ALWAYS play music when doing warhammer / 40k realted things (such as painting).

I say the new album "With Oden On Our Side" by Amon Amarth is pretty good gaming music. If you want to get in the mood that is. I especially like "Cry of the Black Birds" and "Runes To My Memory."

Of course, I also listen to In Flames. Then again, I listen to In Flames regardless of whatever I'm doing :D

"Zombie Inc" Is great for guard, and "December Flower" is the official Anthem for my Biel-Tann eldar :D

And as far as I am concerned "Jester Script transfigured" is THE necron song.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-01-2007, 04:36
Usually the radio.

Light of the Emperor
07-01-2007, 04:58
Any of the three Dragonforce albums make for great playing music. Pretty much on topic lyrically, too.

elvinltl
07-01-2007, 06:57
I sing instead. The best part is to sing songs your opponent hates most.

For Example
I have this particular friend of mine who hates Gwen Stefani. So each time when he wants to roll die, i will start singing Hollaback Girl or Rich Girl. For some reason or another, his die roll seems to get really ******.

Poisonpen
07-01-2007, 08:36
I'm going to have to side with the prog-rock statements earlier. For some reason King Crimson just sounds... right for any games workshop game. I unfortunately rarely have a sound system available and it is usually high-jacked by the LoTR soundtrack. Come on folks, it was good. Find some new music, even another soundtrack -just something else! :cries:

But the best: Pink Floyd. You know its true: the Atom Heart Mother Suite IS Warhammer! I also recommend EL&P's Tarkus, it has an appropriate epic-feel about it.

pantherairsoft
07-01-2007, 09:08
i find something with a heavy beat but electronic goes well. Crystal method or Pitchshifter are usually popular amongst guests at my table...

Delusionist
07-01-2007, 09:50
We never listen while playing, but I listen when I paint and especially when I write fluff. While painting it doesn't really matter, as long as it's good, I like listening to Damnation and a Day (by Cradle of Filth) while I'm painting my Eldar.

Atm my favourite wh 40k song is The Insight and the Catharsis by Dimmu Borgir, there is this one slow melodic part that reminds me of wraithguards, don't really know why.

klm09
07-01-2007, 10:09
While I've only played one proper game (still in the process of building up my Eldar), one band that fits 40k and FB *perfectly* is Bal-Sagoth. Lyrically their album "The Power Cosmic" is spot on for 40k while the others are great for Fantasy, particularly "Battle Magic". Excellent metal that fits the games like a glove, check 'em out! :)

Darkseer
07-01-2007, 10:22
My friends and I always play music. It's always something heavy and fast.

Pitchshifter has become an unlikely favourite lately. It's usually some form of metal though, but 2 of us do play chaos.

Mr Zephy
07-01-2007, 10:27
Necrons- Flaming Lips- Yoshimi battles the pink robots. What?:cheese:

GildorInglorion
07-01-2007, 10:48
Always.

Electronic music, almost. Klaus Schulze being a must. 70-minutes, ipnotic pieces.

Nick

Onisuzume
07-01-2007, 14:00
God bless the DAWN OF WAR SOUNDTRACK!! :D
CiS...

Use the Warhammer 40.000: Chaos Gate soundtrack instead. (especially if playing with marines)
(Sample can be found here (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/274410))
I usually listen to that while playing. (Discman really helps here)

MrBigMr
07-01-2007, 14:10
I've played music sometimes.
Once during a 40K larp we were playing catachans and I had a Vox-Caster on my back, which I used purely to play music. Purely 'Nam list, with some variables.
-Black Sabbath - Paranoid
-Blue Oyster Cult - Dont Fear The Reaper
-Charlie Daniels - Still in Saigon
-Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
-Country Joe and the Fish - We're All Gonna Die
-Credence Clearwater Revival - Fortunet Son
-Credence Clearwater Revival - Run Through The Jungle
-Credence Clearwater Revival - Up Around the Bend
-Edwin Starr - War
-George Thorogood - Bad To The Bone
-Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
-Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
-Jimmy Hendrix - All Along A Watchtower
-Jimmy Hendrix - Purple Haze
-Jimmy Hendrix - Smoke on the Water
-Jimmy Hendrix - Voodoo Child
-Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
-Little Richard - Long Tall Sally
-Martha Reeves And The Vandellas - Nowhere to Run
-Monster Magnet - Space Lord
-Motorhead - Ace of Spades
-Rolling Stones - Paint it Black
-Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
-Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
-Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
-Steve Miller Band - Sweet Home Alabama
-The Gone Jackals - Legacy
-The Smiths - Suicide Is Painless

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
07-01-2007, 15:16
Anyone that wants some "proper" necron music can find it all on my site here :
http://sneak-command.transceration.net/Music/

This stuff is only for the serious gamer who wants music that actually suits the army/atmosphere of the game so 'Mainstream' music fans need not apply.

EDIT : Highly recomend the Ancient Ruin songs for Nightbringer lead armies.

Stormhammers
07-01-2007, 15:23
soviet military songs donw by the red army choir. It goes well with guard, charging across the battlefield, tanks rolling alongside, it just plain matches, Farwell of Slavian and Kalinka are 2 songs in particular

ThousandPlateaus
07-01-2007, 19:49
Wolf Eyes or Einsturzende Neubauten usually work quite well for games of Necromunda.

Chimera
07-01-2007, 20:51
Depends where I'm playing. I think there should be a rule in the rulebook: The "Home" player gets to choose music!

For me, has to be power metal all the way:

Gamma Ray
Iron Saviour - (some perfect lyrics and songs: 'Titans of our Time', "We're standing strong... until the end of all, until the tyrant falls", "Tales of the bold, riding with the gods... for victory")
Hammerfall
Freedom Call
Heavenly

etc...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
07-01-2007, 23:50
Wolf Eyes or Einsturzende Neubauten usually work quite well for games of Necromunda.

Thats a good idea, id probably add Brighter Death Now and Anenzephalia too.

Carcass
08-01-2007, 00:49
i agree with bolt thrower. their music has 100% the feel of 40k ( even gw has made covers for 2 of their albums ).

heavys
08-01-2007, 06:06
Personally, I listen to music whenever I do anything 40k related, from playing to painting.

As for what to listen to I suggest anything by Amon Amarth (Versus the World album is my personal favorite), the older Rammestien albums, Bolt Thrower, Rhapsody, Children of Bodom.....meh I could go on and on; basically anything with a heavy metal sound :)

And, of course, the Command & Conquer soundtrack.

spacemonkey
08-01-2007, 06:15
Don't listen to music too often, though that might because I often game in a friend's garage or in the basement of the local hobby store (where there are no music playing devices). On occassion, I've been known to use music to set the mood. Like the time we played "Mr. Roboto" before my brother's brand new Necron Monolith Deep Struck during a mega-battle against some buddies. The look of horror on their faces was priceless. (Note: they did manage to kill the monster machine after 3 turns.)

UrbanFarmer
08-01-2007, 06:40
wagner works for everything as long as you blast it

Griffin
08-01-2007, 07:09
Sometimes we play music - only Korn - bass Guitar rocks hard when playing WH40K. Other than that anything dark and moody and hard. Man'O War, Metallica, Iron Maiden whatever.

NightHaunter86
08-01-2007, 07:39
For me and my buds music is a must...when we are not in the local games store we play rock, of all kinds...loudly...like really loudly, I don't have a 200 watt system on my PC for nothin :D

Charnel Seraphim
08-01-2007, 12:55
Marylin Manson - This is the new *****

An excellent track to play, just make sure your not gaming against minors.

Griffin
08-01-2007, 13:00
True Charnel Seraphim - so true

John Vaughan
08-01-2007, 15:38
I have some kewl techo-raging-death sorta thing. I found it on one of my computer games, which was read by iTunes. It was called "Decent II." (for any of you who recognize it, you know that they have some pretty knarly music on that game)

MrBigMr
08-01-2007, 16:58
I also suggest E Nomine (http://www.enomine-germany.de/index2.html), E.S. Posthumus (http://www.esposthumus.com/), gregorian chants and Kodo (http://www.kodo.or.jp/) (especialy for Tau).

Spook101
08-01-2007, 17:56
I usualy go fast paced music of any kind (except rap)

Lavadude360
08-01-2007, 19:35
Dragon force or Queen

In "The Show Must Go On" it has this to say

Another hero - another mindless crime.
Behind the curtain, in the pantomime.
Hold the line!
Does anybody want to take it anymore?

sound like an IG soldier?

possibly:)