PDA

View Full Version : Titans?

The Laughing Man!
07-01-2007, 01:58
I am getting more and more interested in this game with each passing day and will probably be buying the book at some point this month.

I was wondering though are there titans in AI?

I just watched the empire strikes back and the snow speeders taking down the AT-AT's really got me thinking how cool a load of fighters taking down a warhound would be, well that or said Titan munching them to molten slag :chrome:

orangesm
07-01-2007, 04:23
My first response is go take a look at Epic.

For AeroImp, a scenario could be developed that centers around taking down a Titan - I would need a book to estimate the stats, should be on the way.

The Laughing Man!
07-01-2007, 08:26
My first response is go take a look at Epic.

For AeroImp, a scenario could be developed that centers around taking down a Titan - I would need a book to estimate the stats, should be on the way.

That would be a no then:( oh well AI still looks ace.

I have been quite interested in epic as well but no one else I know plays it or is interested in starting.

Christine
07-01-2007, 09:58
Not really a no, just a 'needs work first'.

grave digger
07-01-2007, 17:39
I just watched the empire strikes back and the snow speeders taking down the AT-AT's really got me thinking how cool a load of fighters taking down a warhound would be, well that or said Titan munching them to molten slag :chrome:

I think this would be a great idea. I've got an old plastic Ork Mega Gargant that would be great for this.

I have also wonderd about taking out convoys. My local game shop has three boxes of old Epic Blisters (back when Squats were in the game). If I can tweak the rules to do so I would like to pick up some blisters of Rhinos and Flak guns for this purpose.

Diggs

Spacker
07-01-2007, 18:45
I am getting more and more interested in this game with each passing day and will probably be buying the book at some point this month.

I was wondering though are there titans in AI?

It would be easy enough to work Titans in as static objectives, treat them as large buildings (possibly with more than just 4 hits though), and also include AA weapons on it to give it the ability to fire. Really wouldn't take much inventiveness to do this as the rules for taking out buildings and for AA fire are included, and it'd make for a fun scenario plot.

Leonathion
10-01-2007, 10:35
I joust cant help but thinking that 1 or 2 revenants would be a really nice looking alternative using the same rules given for phoenix or vampires (in 40k super heavy flyears). Anyone who would have a problem playing against "proxy" models?

Of course id had a phoenix or a vampire too, the models are joust to nice. ;)

Greblord
10-01-2007, 10:45
I skipped through the book this morning - the only titan in there is the Tau Manta

Forbiddenknowledge
10-01-2007, 11:37
How about this:

Revenant:
Max Spd: 3
Min Spd: 0
Max Alt: 0
Min Alt: 0
Hits: 4
Manouvre: Special (addition of special ground based manouvre cards)
Type: Titan

Weapons:
Pulsars - 0/1/1 2+ 6 Extra Damage 3+, "Ground Attack"
Revenant Missiles - 4/4/0 4+ 6 AA

This rough idea, gives you a titan that can:
A) Work within the game - Aircraft supporting titans, as oh, look, they can move, shoot air/ground have impact on game
B) Be better than just a static objective
C) Add interesting depth to the game

Of course, you can take this further, and add tanks in as well... but then you've just got epic, so personnally I'd rather just have an air combat game.

Leonathion
10-01-2007, 11:47
Yeah I meant more like them actually flying, since they fuff-wise can drop from orbit and have jump/jet pacs. Kinda transformer style... ;)

IncrediSteve
11-01-2007, 15:33
Why not play Epic and AI at the same time? The only thing that effects AI stuff is the AA units, and those units don't tend to have major effects in Epic, so it balances out. Could have ground strike teams taking out AA positions for your strike craft, or strike craft giving arial support. Could get a little messy in places, but I'm sure it's doable.

orangesm
11-01-2007, 16:20
Because a game would take a really long time. It basicly would require a game of AeroImp each turn of Epic - introducing an Aero phase.

The best option I think is come up with a set of stats for some titans and other ground targets. Also most titan weapons are not able to target aircraft, unless the aircraft is moving very slowly - Mantas (Mantas are skimmers in Epic and do not act as aircraft, because they are generally 'slow' flyers, also Vultures and Valkyries are also Skimmers in Epic because of the way they can operate). Since titan weapons can not normally target aircraft, the titan because a moving building, possibly sticking up into Altitude band 1.

Athmos
15-01-2007, 13:12
titans would be incredibly tough for aircrafts... Vampire hunters are probably the only aircraft armed with stuff that can really hurt them... And they would have a lot of HP, if epic stats are to be considered...

in Epic, a thunderhawk is still not a WarEngine (means only one HP), and it as a 4+ RA save (reinforced armor save, which means against most weapon, it'll get a reroll on its save !).

A reaver have the same save, 6 HP and 4 Void Shields !

that would mean 36 structure points in AI ... not counting the void shields...

A warhound is still 5+ RA, 3 HP and 2 Void shields, which would translate as 18HP in AI, not counting Void Shields... i'm not sure you realise how tough Titans are supposed to be...

the Manta is supposed to be titan class aircraft, but due to its flying nature, it's much easier to take down with aircraft than any true Titan.

Athmos

orangesm
15-01-2007, 14:18
The Tau have a Tiger Shark variant designed to go Titan hunting. There is some work over at Tactical concerning the Titan. Another thing is that the goal of the Aircraft may not be the destruction of the titan but disabling it. The Titan could be broken down into segments to target.

Victor Romeo
24-01-2007, 02:39
titans would be incredibly tough for aircrafts... Vampire hunters are probably the only aircraft armed with stuff that can really hurt them... And they would have a lot of HP, if epic stats are to be considered...

in Epic, a thunderhawk is still not a WarEngine (means only one HP), and it as a 4+ RA save (reinforced armor save, which means against most weapon, it'll get a reroll on its save !).

A reaver have the same save, 6 HP and 4 Void Shields !

that would mean 36 structure points in AI ... not counting the void shields...

A warhound is still 5+ RA, 3 HP and 2 Void shields, which would translate as 18HP in AI, not counting Void Shields... i'm not sure you realise how tough Titans are supposed to be...

the Manta is supposed to be titan class aircraft, but due to its flying nature, it's much easier to take down with aircraft than any true Titan.

Athmos

Without wanting to be pedantic the Thunderhawk is a WE in Epic, with 2 hit points, I believe. Combined with the Reinforced Armour it is probably as survivable as a Warhound that's lost its Void Shields.
The best way to use Titans would be as a stationary objective, representing Gargant construction yards, an enemy Titan crippled in action being finished off by the fleet etc. The great challenge with operational Titans would be the void shields; given the extra protection offered by Holo fields a Void shield will make something exceedingly tough (and quite right too).

grave digger
24-01-2007, 02:57
Without wanting to be pedantic the Thunderhawk is a WE in Epic, with 2 hit points, I believe. Combined with the Reinforced Armour it is probably as survivable as a Warhound that's lost its Void Shields.
The best way to use Titans would be as a stationary objective, representing Gargant construction yards, an enemy Titan crippled in action being finished off by the fleet etc. The great challenge with operational Titans would be the void shields; given the extra protection offered by Holo fields a Void shield will make something exceedingly tough (and quite right too).

The Gargant yard was my first thought. I seem to recall a picture of one in some old Epic book. It's been in the back of my mind ever since.

Say, is that the mad bommber what bombs at midnight?

Diggs

mageboltrat
24-01-2007, 09:42
Yeah go Deff Squadron, DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA.....

It's the Deff Squadron comic your thinking of. It has a Squadron attacking another bosses Gargant, so even Ork Fighta-Bombaz can do it.

grave digger
24-01-2007, 14:34
I've actually got a bid for Deff Squadron as we speak. Never read it but figured it would get me in the proppa frame of mind.

Diggs

Athmos
25-01-2007, 14:49
well; i checked back, you're right, TH are WE with 2 DC in epic; i agree with your comparison with warhound toughness. So you can halve the number i gave... stil make titans very tough.

On the other hand, a crippled titan, or a gargant still in construction, or a refuelling/rearming base for titans and gargants (well, imp titans don't need fuel, and for eldar titans that would just be a large Webway gate, but you get the idea), and maybe a lone damaged but still functional warhound might be nice objectives indeed. And of course Titans stats can be altered in the name of gameplay, as everything else. Bu you'll still have to keep them very tough and chalenging opponents if they are to remain what they are...

Athmos

Cohinor
26-01-2007, 07:16
Thats actually quiet interesting, i might start converting some tanks/infantry units for AI.

Like you could use the Epic bases for infantry and see it as a whole company or 2-3 squads.

Imperial Infantry
Typ: Infantry
Hits: 1
Man: /
Speed: Max:1(every other turn) Min:0
Altitude: Max:0 Min:0
Thrust: /
Weapon: Lasguns = 1/1/0, Damage 6+, g. attack
additional Weapon load: Lascannon = 1/1/1, Damage 2+, extra damage 6, g. attack
additional Weapon load: Hvy Bolter = 3/2/0, Damage 6+, g. attack
Special: Can dig in, giving it a Save of 6+ for any damage taken.

and so on and so on

basically you could really write up alot of scenarios, like

Infantry Support:
Your aircraft need to take out enemy tanks, so that your infantry can capture strategic points on the map. The enemy of course is trying to blow your infantry to bits and your fighters out of the sky.

AI is surely a game that you can expand greatly, me like me like =D

cheers
Cohinor

Hellebore
26-01-2007, 16:09
Thats actually quiet interesting, i might start converting some tanks/infantry units for AI.

Like you could use the Epic bases for infantry and see it as a whole company or 2-3 squads.

Imperial Infantry
Typ: Infantry
Hits: 1
Man: /
Speed: Max:1(every other turn) Min:0
Altitude: Max:0 Min:0
Thrust: /
Weapon: Lasguns = 1/1/0, Damage 6+, g. attack
additional Weapon load: Lascannon = 1/1/1, Damage 2+, extra damage 6, g. attack
additional Weapon load: Hvy Bolter = 3/2/0, Damage 6+, g. attack
Special: Can dig in, giving it a Save of 6+ for any damage taken.

and so on and so on

basically you could really write up alot of scenarios, like

Infantry Support:
Your aircraft need to take out enemy tanks, so that your infantry can capture strategic points on the map. The enemy of course is trying to blow your infantry to bits and your fighters out of the sky.

AI is surely a game that you can expand greatly, me like me like =D

cheers
Cohinor

This is what I have been doing, but due to the controversy over speeds I haven't been confident it'll work (the speed 1 every second turn is EXACTLY what I've done for infantry).

My idea for infantry was 0.5 (so 1" per turn)
bikes = 1
vehicles = 1
Fast vehicles = 2

Now, if these are feasable then tyranid aircraft would be too?

Harridan = 2
gargoyle = 1

Hellebore

Victor Romeo
29-01-2007, 02:38
Say, is that the mad bommber what bombs at midnight?

Diggs

Yeah baby Yeah, you wanna be a villain you've gotta have a gimmick. I've got a gimmick, I've got high explosive baby, cos I'm the Evil Midnight Bomber what bombs at midnight!!!