Spears

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command

Rare Units

War Hydra

Total = 1499pts

Basic idea is to attach the mages to the DRs and have them run round in their fast cav glory avoiding enemy combat/shooting and just firing RXB and spells off. Should they get charged though I've put the musicians in so I have a better chance to rally from a flee responce.

The Noble will join one of the CoK units.

The CoK/CoC/Hydra will be used to basically smash through the enemy line in a swift move.

I'll use the high movement rate of the knights/hydra to make the enemy fight on my terms.

I can play the army offencivly if my enemy is heavy shooting based or I just want to get into CC quickly. However I can also make the enemy come and use my high movement rates to set up the combats how I want them.

I feel that the enemy will be torn between trying to kill the Dark Rider Mage units and the CoC, CoK, Hydra.

If my enemy ignores any of my units in particular I can use it to my advantage.

The Hyrdra is really there for scare factor/to soak up fire. It's always nice to have one but I feel it plays a better role than two RBTs would.

7 Power Dice, 5 Dispel Dice, 1 Scroll.

Both mages will be using Dark Magic most of the time. My basic plan for the magic phase is try get one spell off on 3 dice and two spells off on 2 die each. However having my pick from 5 spells will hopefully get something worth casting. For instance I'm quite willing to cast two Black Horrors and a Chillwind per turn if I manage to roll that. ( 3 dice on BH, 3 on BH, 1 on CW )

Dspankdo
07-01-2007, 08:25
I think the army is a bit lacking in numbers and it will suffer against armies with high static CR such as goblins and skaven as rxb can only do so much, and no army can really on magic alone to win games(except Tzeentch daemons of course) so maybe you want to trade in one unit of knights for some corsairs. You say that the CoK/CoC/Hydra will smash through the enemy in one swift move. The problem is none of these units are really that swift at all and coupled with stupidity it could really hamper the speed they actually get into combat.

kir
07-01-2007, 11:25
agree with dspankdo. DR's are gone against one round of medium shooting.
Why no RBT's BTW?

DeathlessDraich
07-01-2007, 12:23
Interesting fast moving army.
Some observations in addition to the above:
1) 3 Stupidity tests per round, including the general
2) Not much real punch in combat especially against ranked up units and ineffective shooting
3) Highly dependent on double charges to win in the first turn of combat. Enemy centres are pretty dangerous even if you manage to 'smash through'.
Dwarves, WE, Skaven and VC would find this army very managable.

Von Wibble
07-01-2007, 13:17
Illegal - you can't have 2 arcane items (darkstar cloak and tiome of furion) on 1 model. As I mentioned regarding your high elf army.

The war hydra looks out of place as it is slow compared to the rest. I would drop it and a Cold one knight unit. Then get some harpies, maybe a 3rd dark rider block (I'm guessing you want to keep a fast moving flaour to the army), and support in the form of warriors, corsairs or crossbows (not sure but think you can afford 2 units).

Seth81
07-01-2007, 14:31
Is the stupidity of the army so impacting upon it? I've fixed the two arcane item thing btw.

Seth81
08-01-2007, 16:13
Right, taking into account the very helpful posts from you/warseer I've stuctured a list that I like and think will work.

1500pt Druchii

Heroes

Noble
Crimson Death, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak

Sorceress
Level 2, Dark Star Cloak, Seal of Ghrond

Core Units

23 Dark Elf Warriors
Full Command, Shields

24 Dark Elf Warriors
Full Command, Shields

Special Units

11 Executioners
Full Command

2 Cold One Chariots
Spears

6 Cold One Knights
Full Command

Rare Units

War Hydra

Total = 1500pts

Sorceress goes with the 23 man warrior unit ( 6x4 ranks ) and uses dark magic.

5 PD, 4 DD. 3 Dice on spell, 2 on another spell in theory.

Noble goes with the execs who will be supporting a warrior unit ( using the hand weapon shield holding idea ) and hopefully proving usefull.

The Cold One Knights/Chariots will be supporting where it's needed, most likley they will be flanking a unit charged by the warriors.

Hydra will keep near the warriors for extra support if the chariots ect are otherwise occupied.

Your thoughts?

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-01-2007, 18:48
much better
cos it's one thing basing your army around a theme or tactics, but you really did need some infantry. I think maybe one more small elite unit would be even better.

DeathlessDraich
08-01-2007, 19:45
A more conventional DE army. Well balanced.
Not much magic defence but Seal of Ghrond helps and at 1500pts that's not much of a problem.

Units of 20 Spears are good enough at 1500pts. You could use the extra pts to include Harpies or beef up the Executioners. It's more likely that your opponent will shoot at the smaller unit of the 'men of DeathlessDraich' :D than the larger block of Spears.

You obviously prefer combat to shooting:p .

Have you checked out the other variations of the War Hydra here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/hydra/1/

Seth81
08-01-2007, 20:28
Well normally I'd have two sorceress's in there but I dunno this time.

Just had a look the the hydras, I don't particular think any of them are worth the upgrade.

The magic one looses some combat stats but gives magic resistance to itself and units near it, which is quite tempting.

The vetern is too risky to take since you can roll some really unlucky 'bonus' abilities.

The royal one would be awesome if it didn't become stupid, even though I might consider taking it.

Thanks for the link/comments btw.

Seth81
09-01-2007, 16:19
Any more thoughts?