PDA

View Full Version : Aldred's Casket of Sorcery

Atrahasis
07-01-2007, 15:45
How do we think the Casket should work against Warp Lightning and Invocation of Nehek?

Which power level can the bearer unleash?

Latro
07-01-2007, 16:07
Anything specific in the wording we should know about?

Asuming that it can steal a bound spell and doesn't change the power-level of it, I would say the Invocation is used at it's normal strength (d6/2d6/3d6) ... same "logic" (risky, I know) applied to Warplightning would let the bearer of the Casket make the same choices as the original caster regarding the strength of the blast.

Atrahasis
07-01-2007, 16:14
Anything specific in the wording we should know about? Sadly, nothing that tells us how to approach spells such as these. The casket "removes and captures" a spell from the mind of a target wizard, and it can then be cast as a bound spell with casting value equal to casting cost.

Asuming that it can steal a bound spell and doesn't change the power-level of it, I would say the Invocation is used at it's normal strength (d6/2d6/3d6) ... same "logic" (risky, I know) applied to Warplightning would let the bearer of the Casket make the same choices as the original caster regarding the strength of the blast.

Seems the best approach - the bearer acts exactly as if he had had the spell from the beginning of the game.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-01-2007, 16:23
Thats the only way I see you can read it. You can choice the powerlevel of the spell when you cast it, so the bearer of the casket can do the same.

JonnyTHM
07-01-2007, 16:24
I would suggest that if it steals the spell from the 'mind' of the wizard then it cannot steal warp lightning (at least from a warlock engineer), as the ability to cast that spell is granted through equipment.

Atrahasis
07-01-2007, 16:27
Warp Blades "provide the bearer with knowledge of the spell".

Sounds like its in his head to me.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-01-2007, 16:47
That would only be the case if it was a bound item. No matter the fluff behind how he gets the spell, Warplightning isn't a bound item, so can be stolen just fine.

Baindread
07-01-2007, 18:34
Then can it steal spells from bound items? I would say yes if at the same time looking at the thread about spell destroyers and what was said there about bound items and the properties of the spell.

Crube
07-01-2007, 18:42
On the same subject, when you steal a spell, does it remove it from the mind of the original spellcaster, (ie does it effectively destrpy the spell), or is the steal ing of the spell, more of a borrowing...

ZomboCom
07-01-2007, 18:53
Once stolen, the spell is lost completely from the original caster.

Atrahasis
07-01-2007, 19:06
Then can it steal spells from bound items? I would say yes if at the same time looking at the thread about spell destroyers and what was said there about bound items and the properties of the spell.

Only if it is a Wizard carrying the Bound item.

I'd say the intent is no, but the rules make no distinction.

Gorbad Ironclaw
07-01-2007, 20:10
The wizard doesn't have the spell, even if he is carrying the item. It's still in the item, and I don't think the casket lets you touch those.

Atrahasis
07-01-2007, 20:57
The spell is in the Wizard's possession, regardless of where it is stored. The Casket does not specify where the spell must be stored, only that the spell is stolen from a wizard.

Mephistofeles
07-01-2007, 21:16
A bound spell is not a spell, it's a bound spell. The Casket lets you steal a spell, not a bound spell. They work much in the same way, but are not the same thing.

T10
08-01-2007, 08:28
How do we think the Casket should work against Warp Lightning and Invocation of Nehek?

Which power level can the bearer unleash?

I believe the casket is limited to removing spells and will not affect bound spells.

Further, please check to see if the Casket affects Wizards specifically. If this is the case, then it seems unreasonable that a bound spell carried by a Wizard can be stolen, but a bound spell carried by a non-Wizard cannot.

Stealing incantations would also be unreasonable as they count as bound spells and the Tomb King characters are not Wizards as such.

-T10

Atrahasis
08-01-2007, 14:10
I believe the casket is limited to removing spells and will not affect bound spells.Read up; so do I. However the rules are not clear, and certainly do not distinguish between spells and bound spells.

Further, please check to see if the Casket affects Wizards specifically. If this is the case, then it seems unreasonable that a bound spell carried by a Wizard can be stolen, but a bound spell carried by a non-Wizard cannot.Again, read up. I have already stated this to be the case.

Stealing incantations would also be unreasonable as they count as bound spells and the Tomb King characters are not Wizards as such.

"Liche Priests and Liche High Priests are treated as wizards"

"In all other respects the Incantations are treated as normal spells"

Both from TK pp34.

I agree that stealing from Tomb Kings and Princes would be impossible, but Priests are fair game.

Palatine Katinka
08-01-2007, 14:33
On the matter of Warp Lightning, if you stole the Spell from a Warlock Engineer, could he not claim to still have it next turn as he still has Warp Blades and they will still provide "knowledge of the spell"?

To answer the original question, it depends on what you consider to be the "normal" casting value. I believe the caster gets to choose in these cases but you may have to check the spell description to see if higher levels of casting are described in some way as abnormal. If it comes up, politely ask your opponent to show you the Spell listing in their Army Book and read it thoroughly.

Falkman
09-01-2007, 08:24
On the matter of Warp Lightning, if you stole the Spell from a Warlock Engineer, could he not claim to still have it next turn as he still has Warp Blades and they will still provide "knowledge of the spell"?
Well, of course you could claim it, but it would be wrong.
A Warlock engineer works just like a normal wizard when it comes to his spellcasting.
He has the spell, just like a normal wizard, and can lose it through certain situations, just like a normal wizard.
The Blades provide him with the knowledge of the spell, sure (and that is just simplified for game terms, I hardly believe that's how it actually works in the fluff; "boom, graft a blade to my arm and I know the spells of a madman", not how it works) but it's no different to the magical lores providing other wizards with spells.
One could say that the Blades perhaps gets destroyed, his connection cables gets fried or something like that.

Bottomline is, he loses the spell, just like any other wizard.