PDA

View Full Version : Chosing the feel of My Empire army

paspinall
07-01-2007, 20:57
Well after perusing the Empire army list, I dont know what feel I am after for my army.

I have come up with 3 options:

Nuln:- pretty explanetory, no crossbows, couple of units of handgunners, a few cannons/mortars, maybe pistoliers or outriders, none of the more exotic weaponry or very little of it, I feel Nuln would be more proud of their own weaponry than these fancy Engineer stuff... subsequently also no Engineer Character. There will of course be Other troops, I feel Halberdiers most common as these are requiered to be raised in each region and other than these many people of Nuln would like gunpowder weapons.

Altdorf/Reiksland:- Being the seat of Imperial power these would have bits of everything I imagine, a few odd Engineer made weapons, Greatswords, Knights, I like the idea of Fielding a Reiksguard army in a way however I am not keen on Kurt Helborg...

Older style: Very very few gunpowder weapons, maybe a single cannon, a single unit of Handgunners and the General with one, crossbows other than this, this list would probably include flagellents and free company more than either of the other two.

What are peoples thoughts/ideas?

Thanks.

Paspinall

Kidjal
07-01-2007, 21:08
but the college of engineers is is Nuln, so it would be theirs too? I can't think of anything more Nuln than batteries of rockets firing salvos across the sky...You've got to have a mad engineer tinkering with everything too!
I'd expect to see a gun line army with halberdier support.

Altdorf is seat of imperial power, so I'd expect heavy reiksguard presence. You can't really get away without having kurt helborg here, but I suppose so.

On the other hand, why not go for the altdorf City guard? Red, white and blue state troops with captains and a wizard lord (colleges of magic are in altdorf) few war machines, pistoliers and greatswords. (I'd use the old reiksguard goot models, myself)

Older theme...well, magnus the pious had cannons. No experimental weapons sure, but is quoted as saying "things that make the empire great - faith, steel and gunpowder!" and he lived 200 years before the current setting.

Makarion
07-01-2007, 21:10
From what I understand, crossbows are generally considered actually *more* modern than black powder within the empire - they are southern imports. If you want really traditional/rustic, you're stuck with archers. Stirland has a reputation for using them, and I can see them being prevalent in Ostland and the marches towards Kislev as well.
You could also consider using DoW halfling slingers or Kislevite horse archers to bulk up your non-blackpowder shooting, while staying within the flavour of your army.

Spearmen would be a solid unit to take along in such a traditional list. They are simple weapons, but the unit is very reliable (in big enough blocks). Add some knights of a local abbey to two blocks of spearmen, some hunters, a crazed hermit (wizard) and the captain of a local watchtower and you're all set. Pity you won't have much in the way of march blockers (although huntsmen are scouts), but you can compensate with enough blocks of cheap infantry.

Good luck!

PS. The Nuln list sounds pretty good as well, and is likely more tournament-viable if you are so inclined. But I'm a storyteller at heart :).

paspinall
07-01-2007, 21:23
According to the previous Army Book the Engineering College is in Altdorf, hence why I wasnt going to include one in the Nuln Army, as for the Reikland army, I guess I can just have it lead by a General or Wizard instead of Kurt,

Neknoh
07-01-2007, 21:24
There are two Empire army ideas I have been toying with, one of them is a pieplate army:

1 Empire General
1 Empire Captain Battle Standard Bearer
2 engineers

5 BIG blocks of Hallberdiers with Swordsmen and Handgunner detatchments (Swordsmen can be detatchments, right?)

4 Mortars

2 Missile Batteries (one Engineer in each)

Tactic here, try and focus all of the pieplates on top of 1 unit at a time, one of them is bound to hit, not to mention the fact that you get to throw 6 pieplates onto the field... SIX!!! If there's only enough room for the Mortars to stand in front of the army to get good firing arcs... then LET them stand in front of the army to get good fire-arcs

Behind the mortars, the 5 blocks and their detatchments would wait.

Second army (low points)

1 Warrior Priest

1 unit of Flaggies
2 units of Free Company

MAYBE some Huntsmen (don't know if they're Core or Special)
1 unit of Knights of the White Wolf

1 unit of Flaggies

A witch Hunter list pure and simple

Kidjal
07-01-2007, 21:25
There are two Empire army ideas I have been toying with, one of them is a pieplate army:

1 Empire General
1 Empire Captain Battle Standard Bearer
2 engineers

5 BIG blocks of Hallberdiers with Swordsmen and Handgunner detatchments (Swordsmen can be detatchments, right?)

4 Mortars

2 Missile Batteries (one Engineer in each)

Tactic here, try and focus all of the pieplates on top of 1 unit at a time, one of them is bound to hit, not to mention the fact that you get to throw 6 pieplates onto the field... SIX!!! If there's only enough room for the Mortars to stand in front of the army to get good firing arcs... then LET them stand in front of the army to get good fire-arcs

Behind the mortars, the 5 blocks and their detatchments would wait.

Second army (low points)

1 Warrior Priest

1 unit of Flaggies
2 units of Free Company

MAYBE some Huntsmen (don't know if they're Core or Special)
1 unit of Knights of the White Wolf

1 unit of Flaggies

A witch Hunter list pure and simple

Hunstmen are still core, but +2 points on archers.

gorenut
07-01-2007, 23:05
Yea, many people seem to forget that Empire is not an exact historical representation of anything in the real world. They've probably been introduced to things like gunpowder for quite some time since they have various relations with dwarfs.

paspinall
07-01-2007, 23:12
Still an older feel army works, maybe a single unit crossbowmen who look very ornate, basically the best looking unit with the newer weapons. And no engineer stuff, still flagellents and a priest.

vorac
08-01-2007, 00:16
hey neknoh why would you put the engineers with the rocket batteries to my knowledge they don't do anything to help them, and you second list has 2 units of flagellants and you can only have 1

Makarion
08-01-2007, 05:14
If you have at least one Warrior Priest, up to one unit of flagellants becomes core. The second one is still rare, but that's not a problem in his list.

Neknoh
08-01-2007, 08:08
Vorac, would the Engineers not help prevent Misfires :eyebrows: That's what I was under the impression of

And yeah, listen to Makarion :D

paspinall
08-01-2007, 08:50
Well as i have been wracking my brains and reading the book multiple times to decide on my army I can tell you,

Flaggies can be taken twice in that army as was said with one warrior priest a unit of them becomes core.

As for the Engineers, nope if you look at their master of ballistics rule it says something along the lines of their abilities have no effect on them as they are too new for anyone to be an expert in them.

Onisuzume
08-01-2007, 09:43
Older theme...well, magnus the pious had cannons. No experimental weapons sure, but is quoted as saying "things that make the empire great - faith, steel and gunpowder!" and he lived 200 years before the current setting.
There's even guns in Mordheim, which is 500 years before the current setting.

Still an older feel army works, maybe a single unit crossbowmen who look very ornate, basically the best looking unit with the newer weapons.
Well, the large handguns are pretty much how handguns would be when they were popping up their heads.

So I'd say one or two units of handgunners and the rest would be crossbowmen/archers/huntsmen.
As well as one or two cannons.

Or if you want to go really old style; then maybe the Cult of Ulric list, or themed-after list would be an good idea. (archers and huntsmen are the only missile unit, as special choices)