PDA

View Full Version : First Try Orcs 2000pts

arkle
07-01-2007, 21:31
The army is a combination of the harder parts of the army with the big blocks supporting each other, 2 chariots and 2 pump wagons for some extra hitting power, the wolf riders to attack war machines and maybe attack a flank, I have went very magic defense hoping that 7 dispel dice should be enough and the war machines and for taking out high armour troops such as knights. What do people think of the army will it work and what should I spend my remaining points on. Thanks for all the help.

Heros-488
Black Orc Warboss with Heavy Armour,Shield, Bigged's Kicking Boots, Effigy of Mork=219 (Rank and file killer)
Black Big Boss with Heavy Armour, Battle Standard, Mork's Spirit Totem=164
Goblin Shaman with Staff of Sneaking Stealing=105

Core-928
29 Orcs with Shields and Full Command=( Black Orc Warboss goes here)
29 Orcs with Shields and Full Command=( Black Orc Battle Standard Bearer goes here)
30 Orcs with shields, stnadard and musican
30 Orcs with shields, stnadard and musican
5 Wolfriders with Spears
5 Wolfriders with Spears

Special-315
Boar Chariot with Extra crew member
2 Spear chukkas
Rock Lobba with Orc Bully

Rare-160
Doom Diver
2 Pump wagons

Total-1891 with 7 Dispel Dice and -1 from the enemy's power dice

damiengore
08-01-2007, 17:26
This isn't too far off of my list but I had a hard time giving up the magic phase. By doing this you are basically saying to yourself that you will never ge a spell off and that kinda made me sad, it is fantasy after all and magic should be a part of it. I changed my list so that I'm running 2 level 2 shamans and one bound spell, that way I might actually have something to do in the magic phase! Waagh spells are really great too!

A lot of people recommend you mount generals and BSB's, I did because I liked doing the modeling and they stand out and look more Bossy, it is a cheap way of getting +2 armour save.

Oh and if you just taking the goblin sham for the staff y not make him a NG sham and save some points? Get yer boss a collar of Zorga or sumfing!

Other than that it looks like a lot opf orks!

WAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

arkle
08-01-2007, 22:26
This isn't too far off of my list but I had a hard time giving up the magic phase. By doing this you are basically saying to yourself that you will never ge a spell off and that kinda made me sad, it is fantasy after all and magic should be a part of it. I changed my list so that I'm running 2 level 2 shamans and one bound spell, that way I might actually have something to do in the magic phase! Waagh spells are really great too!

1) I know it does seem shame with the points I have left I might bang in a extra shaman although I would be tempted to add a second Goblin one as on first glance I preferred their spells.

A lot of people recommend you mount generals and BSB's, I did because I liked doing the modeling and they stand out and look more Bossy, it is a cheap way of getting +2 armour save.

2) The only problem I have with this is, doesn't that mean they can be picked out and shot at by cannons etc, and while I don't like the new boar I would use it.

Oh and if you just taking the goblin sham for the staff y not make him a NG sham and save some points? Get yer boss a collar of Zorga or sumfing!

3) I will have another look at the collar of Zorga
Other than that it looks like a lot opf orks!

WAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

By the way what do people think of Pump wagons, doom divers and Spear chukkas, as I'am tempted to drop the 2 spear chukkas and 2 pump wagons in favour of another boar chariot and doom diver OR should I keep the diversity?

archonbrujah
08-01-2007, 22:36
I'm pretty sure that the new edition got rid of the whole "mounted in infantry is a target" rule from last edition.

That being said, I don;t like the almost complete lasck of range in the army. Alot of boyz is good, but you still need a way to deal with fast stuff. 2 units of Wolfriders, and a pair of chariots isn't going to make anyone have second thoughts about just flanking you to death. Artillery is too unreliable against small fast units. Rock lobber has a poor chance of actually landing on a small, fast target. bolt throwers won;t do much against a single rank unit.

I usually run 2 units of wolf riders, and 2 chariots at 2,000 points. I also run a unit af arrer boyz, night goblins with bows and more magic. Most of the time I squeeze in a unit of Boar boyz too. I like the sheer hordiness (even a word?) of your army, but I think anyone using cavalry well will flank you to death quickly.

Of course I am a strong believer in cavalry, so I'm biased :)

Archonbrujah

Jester007
09-01-2007, 05:06
Well, what can I say? Orcs, orcs, and more orcs. I like it. Enough big blocks of infantry to get your opponent sweating a little with the support that goes with it. Your general is the only thing that kinda confuses me. If you don't want to give him a magic weapon to keep the Armed to Da Teef rule, then I understand where you're going. However, the Sword of Battle will do the same as the boots for less cost. Also, the Effigy will only really help during challenges. Cause if I were fighting against him, I would go after the unit he is with. So you may want to consider swapping that out with something else. How about this little combo: Ulgrit's Axe so now you're re-rolling "To Hit" rolls and +1 S in the 1st round of combat. Then keeping you're boots so you get 5 attacks. Just a thought

arkle
09-01-2007, 09:49
Here is a revised list with nearly 300 spare points to be used on protecting my flanks. The way I see it I have two options, 2 Level 2 shamans to blast the opposition flankers or units of nights goblins with fanatics to guard my flanks or maybe magic for one flank and a night goblin regiment for the other?

Jester007-By choosing the Bigged's kicking Boots I get the +1 attach but keep my armed to the teeth special rule, I think, which I feel is better incase I want to use the great weapon say if the unit takes a chariot charge. The Effigy just means he is being hit by the majority of troops on a 6 which I feel is better in case he gets charge by some Iron Guts ( one of my regular opponents armies) or any other units with high strength attack who may fancy their chances.

archonbrujah-Well I'am not sure about the boars I guess I could for my battle standard bearer who is a little vulnerable, although he would lose the benefits of armed to da teeth. I think my Warboss will be alright, as I wouldn't want to lose his potential for great weapon attacks and most opponents will hit on a 5 or 6 anyway which should reduce the amount of damaging comming his way. What do you suggest for protecting my flanks magic, fanatics or something else? Please let me know

Revised list

Heros-383
Black Orc Warboss with Heavy Armour,Shield, Bigged's Kicking Boots, Effigy of Mork=219 (Rank and file killer)
Black Big Boss with Heavy Armour, Battle Standard, Mork's Spirit Totem=164

Core-928
29 Orcs with Shields and Full Command=( Black Orc Warboss goes here)
29 Orcs with Shields and Full Command=( Black Orc Battle Standard Bearer goes here)
30 Orcs with shields, standard and musican
30 Orcs with shields, standard and musican
5 Wolfriders with Spears
5 Wolfriders with Spears

Special-315
2 Spear chukkas
Rock Lobba with Orc Bully

Rare-80
Doom Diver

Total-1706 with 5 Dispel Dice

damiengore
09-01-2007, 13:52
I would get 2 level 2 shamans to round it out and then spend the extra 100 on a musician for each wolf rider unit and possibly a small block of NG with short bows and a fanatic to beef up flank defense/warmachine protection.

For an ork army, 2 spear chukkahs, lobba and doom diver is plenty of shooty.

I kind of aggree that the effigy is a bit of a waste on the boss.

Like the lots of orks!

My list is looking something like this:

Black Ork Warboss, Boar, Hvy Arm, shield 178
Ork BSB, boar, Morks Spirit Totem, light arm 163
Ork Shaman 2nd level, boar 116
NG shaman, 2nd level 85

30 ork boys+ shields, full command 215
30 ork boys+ shields, full command 215
40 NG's+ spears, full command 180
5x Spider riders+ musician 68
5x Spider riders+ musician 68

6 Boar boyz+ command 170
2 spear chukkahs 70
2x Boar Chariots 160

Giant 205
Troll 40

That leave me about 65 some odd points for shiney stuff, definetly a weapon for the warboss. I could also slip a fanatic in the NG's but I find everyone expects them in there so I was just going to play mind games with the unit.
Any suggestions on the last dribble of points?

Count de Monet
09-01-2007, 14:52
That leave me about 65 some odd points for shiney stuff, definetly a weapon for the warboss. I could also slip a fanatic in the NG's but I find everyone expects them in there so I was just going to play mind games with the unit.
Any suggestions on the last dribble of points?

Well, really you should make a seperate thread instead of hijacking this one. ;)

That said, since you have a NG shaman, howabout adding on Pipes of Doom? I have quickly come to love those - can make a cav-heavy enemy's plans turn to mush. :D

damiengore
09-01-2007, 16:39
I know, I know but I figured our lists are so close and it's so easy for threads to die in this forum so I thought I would keep the discussion alive.

I'm at work so I can't remember, the pipes, they test against the steeds leadership?

Count de Monet
09-01-2007, 18:01
I'm at work so I can't remember, the pipes, they test against the steeds leadership?

They're not THAT good. Test against the rider's Ld as normal.

feeder
09-01-2007, 23:26
Martog's Best Basha. Very cheap for what it does.
'Itty Ring. Another 'eadbutt? Yes please.
Horn of Urgok. Very useful vs low leadership or fear-causing armies.
Ummm's Best Boss Hat (or Helm). A bit of a no brainer, really

Spear Chukkas are great, I always take 4. Just remember to concentrate your fire.