PDA

View Full Version : Click Base Question

grave digger
08-01-2007, 00:29
OK,

to get the game going in my area I've decied to use the handful of metal Epic Flyers I have. Now the click bases are great for recording Altitude/Thrust but they cost more money than I'm willing to for all of my Epic flyers.

So, I've got this idea. Why not put dice next to the base to keep tabs on such things. My question, what is the maximum number that the bases go up to?

I know when the book arrives (hoping this week) I'll get my answer but I'd like to start digging around my house and make matching sets before than.

Thanx for your help,

diggs

orangesm
08-01-2007, 01:04
Expanding on the idea for those of us who want to use our Epic based aircraft in AeroImp (once we known the Speeds and Altitudes) is to use one color for Speeds and another Altitudes, probably help to avoid confusion (could see it being a problem). But ya... good idea...

grave digger
08-01-2007, 01:11
Yep,

that's what I meant by "matching" dice. Should have been more clear.

Diggs

Jmaeta
08-01-2007, 09:51
I think you should look for 10sided dice. Altitude is up to 9 I believe. Speed i don't know but having the 10sided around shouldn't hurt.

greenmtvince
09-01-2007, 00:33
So two d10s per aircraft at $.50-$.75 for possibly $1.50? I'd just shell out the extra fitty cents for an AI base.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
09-01-2007, 00:46
why not keep a AI base next to each flyer?

tht way, you dont have to rebase your whole collection, and you only need to buy as many bases as you will have flyers in a given game... plus it should be less confusing than usinf dice (which can get knocked etc).

the bases are only 1 on the FW store. :)

hope that helps

~ Tim

grave digger
09-01-2007, 01:16
OK,

to get the game going in my area I've decied to use the handful of metal Epic Flyers I have. Now the click bases are great for recording Altitude/Thrust but they cost more money than I'm willing to for all of my Epic flyers.

The key words I used were "to get the game going in my area". In time I plan on doing up my Ork Squardon with real bases, but I'm not shelling out any more cash for my Orks until I know I can get a few other players in my area.

Plus, I have 10 sided dice up the gazoo (use to play D&D in the early 80's). I'm not loosing any cash on them.

Diggs

Tyra_Nid
17-01-2007, 01:33
I plan to simply sit the clear flyer bases on top of AI bases, possibly bluetac (for Epic models).

I assume you can still read dials through the clear plastic (unless you have based the minis)

grave digger
17-01-2007, 02:01
That's a pretty simple idea, I may do it.

I found a place in the states that makes Hex bases out of 3mm wood. I was thiking of picking up a pack of these for my non-main fleet. I don't plan on spending any major cash on the few Eldar jets I have.

Hey Tyra-Nid, I'm sending you a PM.

Diggs

Spacker
17-01-2007, 09:17
In the game I played on Sunday we had to proxy, so I ended up cutting out hex bases from cereal box card, and using dice for the speed and altitude. Unfortunately we had two problems: (a) I only had D6, so when the speed or altitude went over 6 we had to have 2D6 on the side of the base, and (b) on at least two occassions the dice on the bases got mixed up with the dice being rolled. Both problems are easily solved, but I'm looking forward to having just click bases to avoid both in the future :P

marv335
17-01-2007, 14:21
you could just write down the speed and altitude on a piece of paper under the base. just as easy, and cheap too.

technichen03
17-01-2007, 14:54
Hey Guys, just watching the discussion on the clix bases, I like the simplicity of having the AI bases. But if you decide you really want to write the #'s on a paper, the game Canvas Eagles (WWI Dogfight game) uses a chart for such thing you can find it here- http://www.generalissue.com/canvas/E_AEGCII.pdf just ignore the plane the chart could be adjusted as needed.

highmarshaldave
20-01-2007, 23:58
You could use microdice; I think they're about 5mm cubic. I play "other" (see: historic) aeronautical wargames. A green/brown D6 for 1-6 altitude (coming up from the ground) and a yellow D6 for 7+ (out of the sun). Then white D6 for speeds. This is far easier and they are so inexpensive. If its worked for several decades. . .

Dave out.