PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orc: Keeping it Fluffy

beefpizza
08-01-2007, 05:34
Hi, I want to make a savage orc army, and keep it fairly fluffy. What do you guys think of my army list?

Savage Orc Warboss, Boar, L.A., Ulags Akrit Axe, Effigy of Mork, Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas: 242

Savage Orc Big Boss, BSB, L.A., Mork's Spirit Totem, Boar: 168

Savage Orc Big Boss, Chariot, Add. Choppa, Shield, Extra Crew: 168

Savage Orc Shaman, Boar, Dispell Scroll: 111

23x Savage Orc Boyz, Spears, Full Command: 237 (General)

23x Savage Orc Boyz, Spears, Full Command: 237 (BSB)

15x Savage Orc Boyz, Add. Choppa, Boss, Musician: 170

13x Savage Orc Boyz, Add. Choppa, Boss, Musician: 150 (Shaman)

6x Savage Orc Boar Boyz, Shield, Full Command: 176

6x Wolf Riders, Musician: 78

6x Wolf Riders, Musician: 78

6x Spider Riders, Musician: 84

Doom Diver: 80

Total Points: 1979
What should I do with the little bit of extra points?
Are my Characters good?

Any help would be great, thank you.

Inkosi
08-01-2007, 10:57
You have a grand total of 5 frenzied units and 3 screens.

Be prepared to be baited and destroyed.

Honestly, i dont see this list working.

Tutore
08-01-2007, 11:44
Well an all savage list is extremely risky but interesting nevertheless! I don´t know, fluffy-wise, what you should do with the remaining points. But are you sure you want to put your shaman on a boar? He will have to charge 14´´, you risk losing him very early in the game.

beefpizza
08-01-2007, 15:42
I just realized that the characters will be baited out of their units, so I will have to drop all of their boar mounts:cries:
How do you think I can make it work Inkosi?

jahorin
08-01-2007, 19:25
i wouldn't put light armor on your heroes... for me it's not really fluffy... unless you model them some huge pelt pr fur to show the extra hide that they wear to offer the protection equivalent to light armor. also, why not loose a small unit of foot boyz (or maybe even 2) to replace them with foot goblin that you model with some feather to make them look like forest goblin. and i would remove the wolf and only put spider riding goblin. just my 2 cents here.

Inkosi
09-01-2007, 08:49
Have to disagree with you jahorin. Spideys might be interesting models but they just dont cut it unless you are playing with alot of wooded terrain.

@beefpizza

drop the 2 big boss. savage boyz are hard hitting enough. Make your boyz 30 big i say. 5 ranks of 6. drop the 2 small units of boyz. Get some grobbos. Cheap screens. or if you dont like grobbos. at least make sure you have plenty of wolf riders. can use them as screens and support units. very useful with their 18'.

Screens and fast cav support are the way to go for frenzied lists.

Jonahmaul
09-01-2007, 10:05
I agree with Jahorin as he's basically described the army I'm doing! But only do this if you want a nice themed army, if your after an army that you want to win with all the time then you should (a) probably not consider a SO army & (b) if you do, then make sure you do have plenty of cheap screens.

Otherwise I would convert gobbos into forest goblins & as jahorin said lose the wolves & replace with spiders. They're not as fast but it fits the army better and in some games they will come in very useful (ie against wood elves!!). I wouldn't bother with the two small units as your opponent will be able to lure them into the way of your other units preventing charges, I would go with the idea of two big blocks of 30. Also maybe considering adding some trols or a giant to the army?

Finally, I would also drop the chariot for your boss & as I don't see chariots as being very characteristic of a SO army but that's just my opinion which you can feel free to ignore!!

beefpizza
11-01-2007, 04:10
Ok, I made a new list. I am much happier with this one and I think it will do pretty good.
Here we go:

Savage Orc Warboss, LA, Boar, Ulags Akrit's Axe, Effigy of Mork, Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas: 242 (goes with boar boyz)

Savage Orc Big Boss, LA, Chariot, Shield, Add. Crew, Porko's Pigstikka: 204 (supports the boyz on foot)

Savage Orc Shaman, Level 2, Dispell Scroll, Sword of Battle: 145 (goes in boy unit)

Savage Orc Shaman, Level 2, Dispell Scroll, Sword of Battle: 145 (goes in boy unit)

24x Savage Orc Boyz, Spears, Full Command: 247

14x Savage Orc Boyz, Add. Choppa, Musician: 145

7x Wolf Riders, Musician: 89 (covers boar boyz)

6x Wolf Riders, Musician, 77 (covers boyz)

6x Wolf Riders, Musician, 77 (covers boyz)

5x Wolf Riders, Musician, 65 (covers chariot)

5x Savage Orc Boar Boyz, Big 'Uns, Spears, Shield, Full Command, Nogg's Banner of Butchery: 228

3x Regular Trolls: 120 (will go near the boar boyz to support them and use the generals leadership)

Giant: 205

Total: 1988

What do you guys think?

jahorin
11-01-2007, 12:22

is this a typo? do you have 2 level 2 shaman? if you have 2 then both can't have the same magic item. i'm sure you know that.

a part from that the list looks ok. just be careful of veteran player who are used to lure frenzy troops into a trap.

good luck.

nightcrawler
11-01-2007, 12:58
I'd be more worried about the bait and flank tactics then anything else. Your newer version of the list isn't bad, but I'd stick with units of 5 wolf riders with spears and musicians. Your right that you shouldn't bother with other command. You only have 1 unit of boyz that have numbers... i'm not sure thats enough.

S. orc boar boys are awesome. 115 points for a unit that has 10 S4 and 10 S5 attacks on the charge will process enemy units. I expect to see these guys showing up on the tourney circut with the regularity of 6th ed rattling guns. think about a second unit of them.

I'm not convinced that upgrading them to biguns are worth the points. It's 40 points for only a slight advance in killing power... thats almost enough for another wolf rider unit and is enough for a pump wagon. I tipically go quantity over quality.

Which brings me to the giant. Why? You could use those points to beef up the foot unit and get all sorts of nastyness. Giants are great for goblin heavy armies but leadership issues don't come up as often with S.Orcs. There's nothing wrong with bringing him, but it seems like a waste to me.