PDA

View Full Version : slight help with thematics for Space Marines please?

gitburna
08-01-2007, 12:52
Ok, this is a Space Marine question, yeah yeah yeah i know, marines again! I do have plenty of other armies but this ones stumping me a little.

The list has been loosely based on a south/central american theme since its inception about 8 years ago, and features jaguar pelts instead of space wolf pelts. However, I was always struggling to pick a non-cheesey, interesting name for the chapter, as well as squad markings and character names.After trying the latin for jaguars and panthers and stuff, i ended up using Felix Chapter.... Which is uninspiring to say the least.

Then i retreated back to the tried and tested high Gothic names, names like Vengus and Pyrus, Saul for my dreadnought and stuff like that.And my squad markings use greek letters. Pleh!!

Anyway, i saw Apocalypto at the weekend which has reignited my desire to theme them in that way, and what im looking for here is just a little help with ideas for squad names and characters, markings and so on.

For reference, heres a brief overview of the list so you can see how it works.Its reminicent of salamanders, basically its a gunline with some infiltrating units, and a heavy hitter fast reserve for the killing blow.
The traits are See but dont be seen,Never Despair, Aspire to Glory. I cant remember if i need a second drawback or not.

Boltery commander+squad with rhino option
Reclusiarch+command squad. Tabards and boltpistol/ccw reclusiam command squad. [trainee chaplains.]
Dreadnought,techmarine
handful of tactical squads with multimeltas, some with infiltrate and/or veteran sergeants, one tac squad with a missile launcher, one razorback with heavybolters
2 attack bike squadrons [multimeltas, heavybolters] typhoon landspeeder
2 devastator squads, [missile launchers, heavybolters+plasma cannon]
Landraider crusader

Thanks for any help and suggestions, hopefully there will be a few to chew over

Quin 242
08-01-2007, 14:54
why multimeltas? The effective range is pants.

gitburna
08-01-2007, 15:13
To which my reply would be "Why not"
Most enemy units set up only just outside 24" [or 18" in some cases] and with infiltrate i can deploy much closer.

Besides which, any goon can play with lascannons- I want something different.

InquisitorMatticus
08-01-2007, 15:35
Honestly, serious propps for the multi-meltas! I have always wanted a good way to use them but they are tricky. As for names, i have noticed most good names for squads are just an action followed by a animal/element. Like i have Brother Caption Charles Groh leading the Death Owls!! Whoooooo!

gitburna
08-01-2007, 15:53
there was a good thread about using multimeltas on here a few weeks ago, i will post the link here if i can find it.

Here it is

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59140

As far as Jaguars goes, i am just looking for that "interesting action" Like your Death Owls, that sounds cool, for some reason when i make up my own they sound crud though, jaguar Warriors for instance.. Bleh!

Feor
08-01-2007, 16:07
Names wise, why not just go the obvious router: Jaguar Knights, Death Jaguars, something along those lines.

And I, for one love meltas, not quite enough for Clense and Purify, but enough that I have one tac squad ("squad make-tank-go-boom-now") armed with Melta, Multi-melta, combi-melta (and thinking of tossing the sergeant Melta-bombs)

Quin 242
08-01-2007, 16:19
Names wise: ("squad make-tank-go-boom-now")

That is classic.
I think all your squads should follow this naming convention.

Squad "land-on-you-from-above-and-hack-you-apart" for your assault squads for instance.

Paladin-01
08-01-2007, 17:15
#1 reason I wouldn't do this? It'll be hard as hell to pronounce if you do it right.

Quezacoatl. Ketz-a-co-ah-tul.

I don't know how well links are appreciated on Warseer, but searching for Aztec Mythology on Google or Wikipedia finds a whole mess of names... and the only one I know how to pronounce is Quezacoatl. So take that as you may.

Here are some ones, that might work for Space Marines in specific.

Camaxtli - god of hunting, war, fate and fire
Huitzilopochtli (also Mextli, Mexitl, Uitzilopochtli) - the supreme god of Tenochtitlan, patron of war, fire and the sun
Mextli - a god of war and storms
Mictlantecuhtli (also Mictlantecuhtzi, or Tzontemoc) - the god of death and Lord of Mictlan, also as god of the south, one of the skybearers
Mixcoatl (cloud serpent) - god of hunting, war, and the milky way. An aspect of Tezcatlpoca and father of Quetzalcoatl
Teoyaomicqui (also Teoyaomiqui)- the god of dead warriors
Tepeyollotl - god of the heart of the mountain, associated with jaguars, echoes, and earthquakes
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli - destructive god of the morning star (venus), dawn, and of the east. One of the skybearers

Hmm, looking through this more, you could easily do a CSM army on the same note..

Tzitzimime - star demons of darkness that attack the sun during eclipses and threaten the earth
Tezcatlipoca (also Omacatl, Titlacauan) - omnipotent god of rulers, sorcerers and warriors; night, death, discord, conflict, temptation and change. A sinister rival to Quetzalcoatl. Can appear as Mixcoatl or, more often, as a jaguar
Ilamatecuhtli (also Cihuacoatl or Quilaztli) - aged goddess of the earth, death, and the milky way. Her roar signalled war
Itzpapalotl - Queen of Tomoanchan and one of the Cihuateteo (night demons) and tzitzimime (star demons)
Cihuateteo (also Civatateo) - souls of women who died in childbirth who lead the setting sun in the western sky. Also night demons who steal children, and cause seizures, insanity and sexual transgression. They also accompany warriors to heaven.

hiveminion
08-01-2007, 17:40
Paladin-01 has it right. Try to find some Aztec/Mayan/Inca material on the net (or books, yes, they still exist;) ). That should provide you with a lot of information which you can use as an inspirational source for your chapter.

It would pretty unique, I think; an Aztec themed Space Marine force. Sounds very cool!

As for looks, I'd go for a very barbaric feeling, with bones and lots of tatoos. And feathers! If you're good with Green Stuff, you could model your own ornaments, instead of the not-so-fitting purity seals:angel: .

And how about a snake as a unit marking, like the Saim-Hann one?. Or a swipe, to stress the jaguar theme (if you're going for that).

Dr.Clock
08-01-2007, 20:34
Ah the Aztec Marines... kudos.

I play Sallies and DIY Silent Panthers (infiltrators/True Grit). My sallies are Aztec themed with the use of Lizardman bits. The saurus hand weapons look great and the spear-tips add character to whatever you apply them to (bayonettes on my terminators). Also, they vave some really nice shoulder pads for added bling to V. Sarges and characters.

As far as name goes, if you are committed to the jaguar theme, I'd suggest Jaguar Lords, Raging Jaguars or Pouncing Jaguars.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

chromedog
08-01-2007, 21:20
#1 reason I wouldn't do this? It'll be hard as hell to pronounce if you do it right.

Huitzilopochtli (also Mextli, Mexitl, Uitzilopochtli) - the supreme god of Tenochtitlan, patron of war, fire and the sun

Mictlantecuhtli (also Mictlantecuhtzi, or Tzontemoc) - the god of death and Lord of Mictlan, also as god of the south, one of the skybearers

Most people can't quite get the 'tl' sound right - 8-)

Huitzilopochtli is also known as 'Hummingbird' - would be a good name for a bike or Assault squad leader.

Mictlantehcuhtli would be a good choice for a 'chaplain' type character.

gitburna
08-01-2007, 21:37
brilliant, this is the kind of thing i was hoping for! I did notice that the names are all kinda.. Well, Lizardmenish, in crude terms.
As the last poster just mentioned though, names like hummingbird etc, this was the kind of thing i was hoping for, the "literal" translations of the names used.

Its probably a dreadful "hollywoodisation" but for instance, the names of some of the main characters in Apocalypto that i can recall were Flint Sky and Jaguar Paw. I suppose i need to do a little research to decide wether these were literal translations of actual names [kind of like the native north americans] or wether it was artistic license on the filmmakers part. Of course it will be eaier to have names like that than Qzichtlipoxci [which i have just made up lol]

I was thinking if i do this properly i could say that the 5 tactical squads attack is reminiscent of a jaguars paw... ie "4 fingers and a thumb" yes, im being awfully crude about things today and the fast strike infantry section is the bite. My bikes could be snakes, my landspeeder some sort of bird of prey.

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

Kriegsherr
08-01-2007, 23:06
To which my reply would be "Why not"
Most enemy units set up only just outside 24" [or 18" in some cases] and with infiltrate i can deploy much closer.

Besides which, any goon can play with lascannons- I want something different.

And of course, if they are in range, they rock. Just ask your local sisters player that has no other anti-tank options when it comes to heavy weapons ;)

seriously, they are cheaper than lascannons, and under 12" they are even better against vehicles... there is a slight problem with its range, but once you play CoD its no real problem anymore... two turn to get into a good fireposition and then all tanks that want to pass that building are toast.

NightHaunter86
09-01-2007, 01:15
If you are looking for mythology then i would suggest pantheon.org, i frequently use this websited for all my squad naming needs!!

As for a name of the Chapter, jaguar something would be ok...but try to find something that would sound better, like Warriors of Sipan, or Chosen of Tihuanaco, Sons of the Moche...things like that.

Zedric
09-01-2007, 04:20
Its probably a dreadful "hollywoodisation" but for instance, the names of some of the main characters in Apocalypto that i can recall were Flint Sky and Jaguar Paw. I suppose i need to do a little research to decide wether these were literal translations of actual names [kind of like the native north americans] or wether it was artistic license on the filmmakers part.
Those are actually pretty representative of Aztec naming convention.

You can find a few meager dictionaries online, the Aztec language is called Nahuatl. Google that for some good lists.

gitburna
10-01-2007, 13:15
Well, you were right about the dictionaries, quite tricky to find one that has exactly what i could do with!

I will try and get something posted in the projects log at some stage to show how things work and the final squad layouts and names.

How does this sound so far

Teeth of the Jaguar
Commander+retinue
Reclusiarch+retinue
Landraider crusader, rhino

Paw of the Jaguar
4x infiltrating multimelta tactical squads

Eagley/vulturey name - Landspeeder typhoon

Snake name [what are the archetypal s/c american jungle snakes?]
Attack Bikes 1+2

This leaves
Devastators 1+2
Tactical demi-squad with missile launcher
Dreadnought

Im not sure what to "theme" these as, obviously the shooty units are standoffish, the dreadnought could be the fifth element of the jaguars Paw tho i suppose.

hiveminion
10-01-2007, 15:12
Eagley/vulturey name - Landspeeder typhoon

Snake name [what are the archetypal s/c american jungle snakes?]
Attack Bikes 1+2

Since you're going for animal names rather than mythological ones, I'd say the snake you're looking for is the anaconda (a boa). Of course there are many others but I believe that's the most famous one.

As for a bird of prey name, there are many options: raptors, kites, eagles, hawks, falcons, harriers, buzzards, condors, to name a few. Mind you not all of these can be found in South America. Why not something like Hawk's Talon, Raptor Strike, Falcon's Cry, or Soaring Eagle (thank you mr. Spielberg:angel: ).

gitburna
10-01-2007, 17:04
Since you're going for animal names rather than mythological ones, I'd say the snake you're looking for is the anaconda (a boa). Of course there are many others but I believe that's the most famous one.

As for a bird of prey name, there are many options: raptors, kites, eagles, hawks, falcons, harriers, buzzards, condors, to name a few. Mind you not all of these can be found in South America. Why not something like Hawk's Talon, Raptor Strike, Falcon's Cry, or Soaring Eagle (thank you mr. Spielberg:angel: ).

yes while i want them to come from a south american type culture, i am not overly keen on them being "Aztecs in Space" but rather have a deathwing/red-indian type association.

The mythological names sound too complicated for everyday use in mayan, but if the english transliteration sounded cool thats what i am hoping to use.Like the ones you've suggested for the landSpeeder :)

And the animal names would hopefully be the ones with a cultural significane to the mayans/aztecs EG the jaguar. I suppose i just need to do a lot more researching first!

Thanks for everyones help, if anyone has anything to add please feel free

PS How DOES your evil king find out which bottle is poisoned ??

Getz
10-01-2007, 17:28

The classic South American bird of prey? The Condor...

Captain Micha
10-01-2007, 18:30
thats awesome. Aztec Marines.

are they as furry as the wolves?

Weregerbil
10-01-2007, 22:47
That sounds cool. Ive been thinking about using multimeltas.

gitburna
11-01-2007, 16:33
thats awesome. Aztec Marines.

are they as furry as the wolves?

well they started off as repainted spacewolves, i have cut off most of the wolf heads though, being completely non-feline and spoiling the effect!

Aside from painting on some suitable symbols im trying to make them look relatively "imperialised" I dont want them looking too feral, im thinking here of the way that the Ultramarines tyranids hunters dont adorn themselves with tyranid skulls and so on, but have subtle well crafted logos. I may yet get some lizardmanish totems to stick on the edges of my standard bearer though. Actually my standard is currently fairly plain, i could quite easily make this much more interesting.

Way to get the creative juices flowing! :skull:

Briscoe
11-01-2007, 22:43
Space marines seem to have a thing for latin words and names so maybe it's worth looking into the scientific (latin) full names of your favorite aztec animals. For other theming goodness perhaps consider the use of obsidian blades or nick-nacks, maybe even using the word obsidian in a name for something. I think aztecs used obsidion in weapons for things like spear tips and knives/

gitburna
12-01-2007, 10:50
Space marines seem to have a thing for latin words and names so maybe it's worth looking into the scientific (latin) full names of your favorite aztec animals. For other theming goodness perhaps consider the use of obsidian blades or nick-nacks, maybe even using the word obsidian in a name for something. I think aztecs used obsidion in weapons for things like spear tips and knives/

Ive already tried that and it wasnt too great.

Jaguars are called "Felidae" or something, which is where i got "Felix chapter" from [the current horrible name]

In fact my banners got Nova Felidae written on it.

But yes, after watching Apocalypto i did get hit by the inspiration stick and i thought "This could work..." I mean, they were just like the natives they always talk about in the background, the feirce initiates, they were using a lot of fire, and there were jaguars and it was just like when i saw Gladiator for the first time... It made me think of Ultramarines

After initially thinking "Naaah" im wondering now about getting a lizardmen sprue and using some of the totems and stuff to jazz up the theme a little