PDA

View Full Version : Group Tournament Report

kyussinchains
08-01-2007, 13:27
Hi there, our group meets 3-4 times per year for a bit of a tournament, it's nothing too serious, just mates playing to see who the best player is. This year, unfortunately, only 4 of us turned up (there are usually 6) but we soldiered on regardless.

Last year, my dark elves finished last out of 5, with 3 losses and a draw, admittedly it was a highly experimental army, which utterly failed!

This year I was determined to do better, our tournament this time round, consisted of a round of 2000 point games, followed by a round of 3000 point games, this helps certain players out, who have more expensive armies, and also helps people like me who often pick shocking armies, as you get a chance to pick a second army.

the 2000 point tournament was first, my list was something like this

Highborn - H.Armour, SD Cloak, Cold one, gauntlet of power, shield of ghrond
Noble - H.armour, SD cloak, Cold one, shield, sword of might, seal of ghrond
noble - H.armour, SD cloak, Cold one, Halberd, heart stone of darkness
sorceress - level 1, 2 dispel scrolls

3 units of 5 dark riders, all with musicians
3 units of 6 CoK with standard and musician
15 warriors, with RxB and shields
2 RBT

Game 1 - Chaos

my first game was against our chaos playing friend, he's rather inexperienced (more on this later) but he took two large units of knights (one chosen) a couple of spawn, a giant, and a chariot or two (I cant remember exactly)

my dark riders deployed on my flanks, one unit racing up each side, I unfortunately deployed my warriors on the left flank, thinking he had already deployed his giant there, he then refused that flank, making my deployment very bad.

on his first turn, a spawn got a lucky 17" move and charged my flanking dark riders, breaking them and making them flee off the board, my CoK led by the general charged his chosen knights, and bounced off them, getting run down in the process, my other CoK narrowly beat the other knight unit, but didnt break them, my 3rd unit got bogged down by a spawn and the giant.

I managed to defeat his non chosen knights, then get a flank charge on his chosen, again my CoK bounced off them like water on rock, the giant ate the noble in my CoK unit, and his chariot ran down my crossbowmen.

After the game, he said it was basically 'paint by numbers' playing me, and I guess he was right, my deployment was fatally flawed, and I had a few bad rolls in crucial combats which probably cost me the game. I was a bit embarrassed to lose to a player who still has to be told what he needs to roll to hit and wound!

Game 2 - High Elves

I felt pretty confident about this game, as our high elf player has been struggling with them for a fair while, it was a fairly even match up, but my bolt throwers made all the difference, killing an average of 7 swordmasters a turn, I managed to wipe his fast stuff out (losing my own in the process) and then just hunkered down and shot him to bits, he lost his general to combined fire of a RBT and 15 repeater crossbows.

Game 3 - Orcs and goblins

I was worried about the large number of fanatics my opponent was sure to have, however he only had one unit of night goblins (a core buy-out) but he had grimgor and his bodyguard, I watched grimgor hack down 5 chosen chaos knights in another game, so I was worried, however I managed to avoid him for most of the game, and whittle down the rest of his army with concentrated missile fire and CoK charges. Eventually I charged grimgor's bodyguard with 2 units of CoK in true Zap Brannigan style, sending 'wave after wave of my own men at him'. Grimgor killed every knight in base contact, meaning my characters were free to rack up some serious combat result against the black orcs. A gamble rear charge from my dark riders sealed the deal, as the plucky riders and steeds took down FOUR black orcs, giving me an extra +8 combat result, with grimgor unable to fight, the combat was won, and he was chased down by the dark riders.

In the 2000 point tournament, I was tied for 1st place with the high elf player, and we agreed that because I had beaten him in our game, that I was overall in the lead. however, we had not played the 3000 point games yet.

I decided to go a bit different for my 3k army,

I took 2 lords, both on cold ones, one armed as before, another with the seal, a halberd and heart stone of darkness
an assassin with an extra hand weapon and touch of death,
a noble with the sword of might and enchanted shield on foot,
and 2 level 2 sorceresses each with a dispel scroll, one with the darkstar cloak, other with the tome of furion.

2 units of 6 CoK
17 Black guard with the dread banner
12 witch elves,
2 units of 5 dark riders
10 warriors with RxB
20 Spearmen
3RBT

game 4 - Orcs and Goblins

the orc player had retired grimgor, instead opting for three huge units of black orcs, and a big unit of savage orc boarboys.

I moved my dark riders up to try to entice the savage orcs into charges, I had to be careful however as he had 3 units of night goblins, all loaded to the brim with fanatics. I moved my witch elves and black guard up to capitalise on the failed charges, however in doing so, I made a horrible mistake, which cost me the game, I left my black guard in charge range of his boarboyz, and he was able to charge them instead of the dark riders, his 8 frenzied boars killed an impressive 13 black guard on charge, and the bigboss and boys killed 3 more (my assassin managed to take a wound off his bigboss) leaving 1 alive, they passed their break test (thank god for being stubborn!) and both my crossbowmen and dark riders charged in to try to help my beleagured flank, however it was to no avail, they all broke and fled, the dark riders panicking a unit of CoK who also fled. With my battle line in disarray, it was left for my witch elves to regain some honour by hammering the savage orcs on foot in combat, taking down an impressive 12 of them in a single turn, His black orcs then made short work of my CoK and the game was over

Game 5 - High Elves

the high elf player had completely re-worked his army this time round, taking a level 4 mage, and 2 level 2 mages. On his first turn, he managed to cast flames of the phoenix on my black guard, killing half of them, and curse of arrow attraction on a unit of CoK, he also drained the lord's gauntlet of power with a timely vaul's unmaking.

The rest of the game was a formality, his mages taking a huge toll on my units, while he stopped all my return spells. My RBTs did some damage, but his eagles diverted them and my units, and I was comprehensively beaten. (I was also pretty miffed at how powerful elf magic can be, it was not a fun game, and I can see why my friend usually avoids taking seer-council type armies)

Game 6 - Chaos

I was playing for my honour now, if I lost again, to a player so incompetant that he fled with a chaos chariot when an eagle charged it from 1 inch away... I would never be able to show my face again!

unfortunately, the luck was on his side, I managed to take out his mounted daemonettes, as well as his 2 units of non chosen knights, he also got a flank charge in which was debatable, it was such a close call testing the arc that we rolled a dice for it, it came up in his favour and his chosen knights with a chaos lord and TWO aspiring champions in it charged my CoK. The black guard got stuck into the giant, killing it, but then were charged by a chariot, they failed their stubborn test and were run down. The witch elves killed a spawn, and the hag managed to take a couple of wounds off his level 4 sorcerer, but they were unable to chase the unit down, and were eventually left facing the angry chosen knights, the witch elves charged, but didnt stand a chance.

up to this point, the game was pretty close, and I maintain that if he had not had tactical advice from a much better player, I would have won, but ah well, such is life!

I took solace in the fact that the only 2 games he won were both against me.

After a weekend of rapid play, it ended with the high elves and orcs squaring off, the magical power of the elves, coupled with their annoying eagles, and some frankly shocking fanatic rolls (one eagle took 14 hits from 4 fanatics, and only suffered 2 wounds) not to mention awful deployment and bad use of terrain by the orcs, meant that the elves romped home to victory.

The final standings were as follows

1 - High elves (played by Enyoss)
2 - Orcs and goblins
4 = Chaos, Dark Elves
6 = Empire, Bretonnians (both players absent)

next time I'm taking beastmen!

EvC
08-01-2007, 16:53
I took solace in the fact that the only 2 games he won were both against me.

LOL!

Nice simple telling of how it went, sounds like fun :)

enyoss
08-01-2007, 17:43
Good writeup kyussinchains. The games were all good fun (although I suppose I wasn't on the receiving end of my 'magehammer'). I'm still waiting for my coronation as Gaming Group King however ;).

I've got to admit, it really was the Eagles that did it for me. Poor old Grimgor and those Boarboys were overrunning all over the place thanks to my feathered friends. I'll post my army lists up when I get around to it... show you how it's done and all that ;).

EDIT - Ok, here's the 2000pt High Elf army I used (or thereabouts):

Prince, Swordmaster, Vambraces of Defence, heavy armour
Battlestandard, Sword of Might, Armour of the Gods
Mage, Lvl2, Seer, Channeller, Silver Wand
Mage, Lvl2, Ring of Corin, Jewel of Dusk

26 Swordmasters, FC, Standard of Balance
24 Spearmen, FC, Warbanner
6 Silverhelms, FC
10 Archers, FC
5 Reavers, Musician
2 Eagles
Repeater Bolt Thrower

~ 2000pts

And now for the 3000pt Army which swept all before it ;) (basically the 2000pt army with 1000pts bolted on... I'm lazy like that):

Prince, Swordmaster, Vambraces of Defence, heavy armour
Battlestandard, Sword of Might, Armour of the Gods
Mage, Lvl2, Annullian Crystal, Channeller
Mage, Lvl2, Ring of Corin
Mage, Lvl4, Starwood Staff, Seer
Commander, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, halberd, fully armoured and mounted (winning me the title 'Horsebackhalberd' for the absurdity of it :))

26 Swordmasters, FC, Banner of Sorcery
25 Spearmen, FC, Warbanner
6 Silverhelms
10 Archers
6 Silverhelms
5 Reavers, Musician
14 White Lions, Champion & Standard
2 Eagles
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

~ 3000pts

Cheers,

enyoss

Rikkjourd
08-01-2007, 21:28
Good stuff, keep it up! =)

enyoss
09-01-2007, 10:59
edited my post to include army lists

Tutore
09-01-2007, 22:18
Thank you for sharing. Strange and difficult DE list nevertheless!

kev222
10-01-2007, 01:24
After a weekend of rapid play, it ended with the high elves and orcs squaring off, the magical power of the elves, coupled with their annoying eagles, and some frankly shocking fanatic rolls (one eagle took 14 hits from 4 fanatics, and only suffered 2 wounds) not to mention awful deployment and bad use of terrain by the orcs, meant that the elves romped home to victory.
Don't forget the customary turn 1 'edbang of my Level 4 (taking both dispel scrolls with him). Mmmm, a level 2 night goblin squaring off against a combined 8 levels of High Elf mage with little more than the hope of a miscast to defend himself.

Yes, I submit that luck is to blame. Not a general lack of tactical acumen.