PDA

View Full Version : What's GW's bitz policy?

Mojaco
08-01-2007, 16:47
Just wondering. Recent armies don't have every bit available for order, with the odd exeption here and there (vostroyans for instance). Like Eldar Aspect warriors' Exarchs; only in the box. Darf Grudge Thrower loader? Only in the box. Skarsnit's Gobla? Only in the box.

Do they get released after a variable time or do they simple stop releasing bitz they know people want (and then hopefully buy a full box for)?

sigur
08-01-2007, 17:11
I'm pretty sure you can still order single bitz/sprues if you ask for then at your local GW or the mail order trolls.

Crube
08-01-2007, 17:12
I know that it used to be that the components were only released a while after the main release...whether it's still the case I know not though...

Jedi152
08-01-2007, 17:13
Well the cynic in me says they're reducing the amount of bitz so you have to buy boxes.

But the realist in me says they just haven't updated the website yet - as Sigur says, give them a call.

I suspect the latter.

Crube
08-01-2007, 17:15
Alternatively, you could always try one of the bitz services advertised in the banner ads at the top of warseer...might be slightly cheaper too...

Flame
08-01-2007, 18:39
Alot of the time, especially with new releases, GW lenton simply doesnt have enough storage space to keep all of the relevent bits, some of which dont sell at all. For example, I believe in the 12 months leading up to not selling bits of the skaven WLC seperatly they sold a grand total of 2 parts.

It simply isnt worth it for some bits.

superknijn
08-01-2007, 19:30
Eldar got their individual units/bitz orderable after about 2 weeks, IIRC.
Just give them some time. :)

Lord Malek The Red Knight
08-01-2007, 20:20
what really bugs me are the times when they put several bits on metal "sprue", like attaching a model's arm to the tab under its feet, stopping you buying just the arm. also, the "random" bits really annoy me, like you cant order specific SM Veteran weapons - the code is for a random bit. :(

~ Tim

Light of the Emperor
09-01-2007, 01:24
I was talking to the mail order guys about the lack of vostroyan bitz online. They said that the site just doesn't update alot. All the vostroyan bitz, for example, are available. You just need to mail order some of them instead.
Kislev gryphon legionairres are another example. A while ago, every model was available to order online. Not any more. I have noticed that the online store has quite a few problems so this may be one of them.

starlight
09-01-2007, 01:44
Mostly it's down to lack of IT people to keep the updates going.

However, in some (rare) cases, it's just not worth it for them to offer the Bitz.

Jesse Custer
09-01-2007, 09:35
Actually,
not all the components from their parents products are available.
Sometimes it is :
* just because it won't make sense (no interest of stocking a code that would sell only twice for all countries in a year)
* it is a not previously thought decision (new Exarchs only in boxes).
* because the way the product is designed (an arm & a weapon on sprue, you cant' have them separated or individual bits on plastic sprues). A good example is also the plastic giant sprues, only one of the two is existing as a component because the other available would mean you could build two giant with only one box (that wouldn't be a logical decision business wise).
* because of the individual prices of components sometimes it may not be worth to release the component as anyway the customers would buy the blister or the box.
etc, etc... No evil plan here.

also, the "random" bits really annoy me, like you cant order specific SM Veteran weapons - the code is for a random bit.
This is quite rare and as far as I know it's quite an exception, this one being the more obvious recently.

On the subject of availibility on the online store(s), it really depends also on the rate the store is updated. From the one I use, it is usually updated the day the parent product is released but it isn't a rule of thump either.

What is true is that Mail order can't maintain an infinite number of codes and stock levels. Some choices are to be made sometimes.

I'm personnaly glad that there's such a wide and deep range available. Of course that may not be perfect but still the service offered is so huge I won't really complaint.

Mojaco
09-01-2007, 13:41
I'm personnaly glad that there's such a wide and deep range available. Of course that may not be perfect but still the service offered is so huge I won't really complaint.

Nor I. I was just being curious, since I happen to come across more 'missing bitz' then I used to. Could be just coincidence.

Here's hoping the dark reaper exarch is seperate one day!

Firebreath
09-01-2007, 16:49
A good example is also the plastic giant sprues, only one of the two is existing as a component because the other available would mean you could build two giant with only one box (that wouldn't be a logical decision business wise).
It's the same with the Carnifex. They don't sell sprue B which contains the body and legs. Two of those sprues and I could build three (albeit different) Carnifexes from one box.

Strangely, I've seen sprue B listed in the US online store, but not the UK store. :confused:

Mr Tiddles
09-01-2007, 17:31
It's the same with the Carnifex. They don't sell sprue B which contains the body and legs. Two of those sprues and I could build three (albeit different) Carnifexes from one box.

Which is why they don't offer it. They want you to buy three Carnifex boxes for 75.
Not one box for 25 and two sprues for 8 each.
I guess they could make the sprue available seperately, but they'd charge you 25 for it.

Mr Tiddles
09-01-2007, 17:33
I was talking to the mail order guys about the lack of vostroyan bitz online. They said that the site just doesn't update alot. All the vostroyan bitz, for example, are available. You just need to mail order some of them instead.

I can find all the Vostroyan bits from this page.
Whivh ones do you think are missing?

starlight
10-01-2007, 05:48

Strangely, I've seen sprue B listed in the US online store, but not the UK store. :confused:

Upside of having their own factory.