PDA

View Full Version : Another Help Me Choose My First Army Thread

Sir Phobos
08-01-2007, 17:35
I am finally going to pick an army for 40k and go with it, after a while researching I have come up with three final choices. The first being an Iyanden Eldar army, I know they have their downfalls but I love the fluff and models so thatís why they are in. The second is Witch Hunters, I already have a 500 point force of them so it would cost less, but getting to a 2000pt army would cost more I think because I am going to have my stuff painted for me so the cost can add up quickly with a high model count army. Lastly is a pure Grey Knight force, I love the fluff and models for these guys plus the model count will be fairly low, my only problem is the tactical soundness of doing this. The fact that they really donít have any really strong anti armour stuff worries me, but it would be fun. So what do you think about these choices? I know itís mostly about what army you like best but I like them all for different reasons and really donít like one above the other. Thanks for any advice or suggestions that you can offer.

wickedvoodoo
08-01-2007, 17:41
of the three i would say witch hunters

1 like you say you already have some models for them
2 mixing sisters and inquisitorial stuff can make a really good balanced force
3 pentinent engines. those models are amazing

Helicon_One
08-01-2007, 17:59
Witchunters, and I'd suggest you go heavy on the Battle Sisters because the freakshow stuff is unreliable and tends to underperform.

Tim

Vedar
08-01-2007, 18:36
If you want to do something fluffy just pick the one you like.

If you want to be competitive I think the new eldar rules are kind of silly for Iyanden. Take 10 wraithguard as troop chioce is a ton of points and most say not worth it. Wriathlords took a hit with getting wraithsight and starcannon took a hit as well which I used to use on my wraithlord. I'm finding the new codex much harder to play as they took strong units down a notch and not so good units up to ok units. Wraithguard and Wraithlord are not cheap also so it will probably cost you some $ if you want to make it fuffy.

I'm not up so much on the other two armies but most Space Marine armies have the S4 T4 3+save that make them more survivable on the field. They have some super nasty weapons like the assault cannon. They can field all kinds of tanks, speeders, bikes, dreads. I would think the cost would be less as you can buy plasic box sets for most SM stuff as it is their #1 seller.

guillimansknight
08-01-2007, 19:14
If you want to do something fluffy just pick the one you like.

If you want to be competitive I think the new eldar rules are kind of silly for Iyanden. Take 10 wraithguard as troop chioce is a ton of points and most say not worth it. Wriathlords took a hit with getting wraithsight and starcannon took a hit as well which I used to use on my wraithlord. I'm finding the new codex much harder to play as they took strong units down a notch and not so good units up to ok units. Wraithguard and Wraithlord are not cheap also so it will probably cost you some $ if you want to make it fuffy.

I'm not up so much on the other two armies but most Space Marine armies have the S4 T4 3+save that make them more survivable on the field. They have some super nasty weapons like the assault cannon. They can field all kinds of tanks, speeders, bikes, dreads. I would think the cost would be less as you can buy plasic box sets for most SM stuff as it is their #1 seller.

>>>>>>>>>>>I would think the cost would be less as you can buy plasic box sets for most SM stuff as it is their #1 seller<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

errmmm.... a sob box is £2 more and the models ARE better.
GK for a first army is a bit OTT because even vets struggle with the lack of numbers.
go for WH out of your list but if you cant decide calm yourself down and choose whatever pops into your head, thats how i started in 3rd ed(BT popped in to my head ....i love them )

Shrike30
08-01-2007, 20:16
The antitank fire you get out of GKs comes in the form of Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders (and I'm pretty sure they can take Predators?). The GKs themselves can chew on really light vehicles a bit, but it's not their strong point.