PDA

View Full Version : DE against large armies

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-01-2007, 18:37
If you're against a highly populated army like skaven or orcs, then do people find that it is best to split your spearmen and other units too up into 2x5 units to try and match the enemies number of units, or should you keep with large and powerful units.
I just think that if that is the case then your opponent could easily overpower you no tactics needed.

Makarion
08-01-2007, 19:17
Caveat: I have no experience playing dark elves, but...

I would guess it's best to deny your opponent a flank, anchor it with a corner/side of the map, use significant blocks to hold the center (20+-man units), and use mobile troops on your open flank, supported by artillery/magic, and preferably archers of some sort (but I don't think dark elves have much that's very good in that department other than repeater bolt throwers).
This way, you can hopefully avoid almost automatically losing due to static CR as well as being ground between more numerous blocks.

Your opponent will have to mass his numbers into the more limited front of your army or risk being picked off by long range combat and (hopefully) AoE magic (if DE have access to that). Some marchblockers are likely a good idea. I believe DE have light cavalry with repeater crossbows - those might serve you real well, if they are not too expensive.

Try and use some terrain that limits passage through the center of the table, such as a river with fords, swamps, etc. - anything to break up the battle lines of your enemy and force him to move his blocks behind one another instead of side-by-side.

Hope that helps!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
08-01-2007, 19:22
thanks a lot
any other views?

Bull
08-01-2007, 23:11
You will find that the size of an opponents army is the general problem of a Dark Elf player. Your speed and manoeuvrability are what you really need to rely on to win those battles. Skaven are hard to beat at the best of times but send a block unit on their front with a unit of Dark Riders on the flank and watch any of their units flee with the low leadership once their ranks are reduced, against Orks stand and shoot at them using magic (if you have any) and wait for a hole to open up due to squabble or if a unit runs forward and take advantage of this. Use your scouts to slow a flank and use your additional speed to hit theirs, once you nail a couple of units you'll find your opponents majority of number be less of an advantage, also use terrain to help as the boards are only so wide and when units start having to wait to move to let another unit move through then hit them then, when they can only bring x amount into the combat anyway.

Man I hope I haven't ranted and have made sense.

Good Luck

Lord Steven
09-01-2007, 08:11
If all else fails take a dragon with a highborne lord that has the +2 strength magic weapen, the armour that gives +1 armour save per wound caused and the 4+ ward.

Fly the highborne into some small units at first to charge up his armour save. Then use him to flank the bigger units. Dark Riders / Cold one knights in the front and a dragon in the side tends to do quite well. Also, if you play it right you can sometimes have the dragon fighting twice in one round of combat with an overrun into an enemy who hasn't fought yet.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
09-01-2007, 17:50
yeah you made a lot of sense. Thanks for the replies guys.
I dont have a dragon yet but I will be getting one pretty soon.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
09-01-2007, 20:33
This is the foundation of how MSU tactics were created. I find that having small units of 10-15 men working sort of like Empire detachments in conjunction with larger blocks of Spearmen works best.

I suggest you visit http://www.druchii.net for a wealth of information on this and any other Dark Elf related topic.