PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some advice on Kemhri

Getz
08-01-2007, 19:47
At very long last I'm seriously thinking of building a WHFB army (I last played WHFB in 4th edition, if memory serves...) and have decided to resist my usual fix of Empire and try Tomb Kings...

This is mainly because I'm sick of painting people, and an army consisting entirely of easy to paint Skeletons is very appealing... ;)

Anyway, I've picked up the army book but I'm at a bit of a loss where to start. I'm favouring an army based primarily around big, solid blocks of infantry backed up by hard-as-nails monsters, but things have changed a lot since I last played wth fantasy and what I'm proposing feels quite different from the English Civil war themed Empire army I used to run (Guns and Pikemen! Plus lots of Pistoliers and Outriders).

In short, I could do with some advice.

Current theory is about a 50/50 mix of Skelly archers and warriors, one of those hard as nails Grave Guard units, Ushabi, tomb scorpions and maybe some light cavalry for the flanks.

However, will that work? And more to the point, how should I equip the Priest dude? Also, should I actually use GW models or should I do my "Chinese Terracotta army counts as Khemri" idea?

Only one proviso. No Chariots...

I know Khemri chariots are supposed to be dead good but I just don't like them...

Blagrot Squigbreff
08-01-2007, 20:07
Hi
When you say Skellie warriors do you mean LA+Shield? They are good at not dying but not up to much at killing things.

Tomb Guard should try for a good rank bonus but don't need a mummy leading them, Ushabti are good big monsters and the only flaw Scorpions have is they aren't US5 (don't forget they don't have to deploy with 'it came from below').

I'm not a fan of Light cav as they can't flee which I feel defeats the point, you might want to use Heavy cav for the extra punch.

My 3 priests have a staff of ravening, cloak of dunes, 2*dispel scrolls and a hieratic jar between them (the cloak is on the Hierophant to help him survive), this gives them a good mix of defence and more spells.

I like most of the TK range, only the liche priests look bad IMO and really it should be your opponents you ask about models (them and your wallet;) )

Finally have you considered a Skull Catapult or two, they are very good if you can guess distances and give you an excuse to have a priest hiding at the back. If you want to play more aggressively the Bone giant is decent.

gorenut
08-01-2007, 20:41
With no chariots, I'd definitely max out on Tomb Scorpions. They are one of the best units the Tomb King has to offer. They have stats of some characters from other armies (Killing blow!). Yea, it does suck that the Tomb King fast cav doesn't really get to take advantage of new rules that benefit both ranged and fast cav (particularly standing and shooting), but you gotta remember that one thing they have going for them is that they always hit on a 5+ no matter what. So I can see potential in this when hunting lone characters and picking off artillery crew.

PS: I second skull catapults. They can fire twice per round with the help of incantations.

druchii
08-01-2007, 21:33
At very long last I'm seriously thinking of building a WHFB army (I last played WHFB in 4th edition, if memory serves...) and have decided to resist my usual fix of Empire and try Tomb Kings...

This is mainly because I'm sick of painting people, and an army consisting entirely of easy to paint Skeletons is very appealing... ;)

Anyway, I've picked up the army book but I'm at a bit of a loss where to start. I'm favouring an army based primarily around big, solid blocks of infantry backed up by hard-as-nails monsters, but things have changed a lot since I last played wth fantasy and what I'm proposing feels quite different from the English Civil war themed Empire army I used to run (Guns and Pikemen! Plus lots of Pistoliers and Outriders).

In short, I could do with some advice.

Current theory is about a 50/50 mix of Skelly archers and warriors, one of those hard as nails Grave Guard units, Ushabi, tomb scorpions and maybe some light cavalry for the flanks.

However, will that work? And more to the point, how should I equip the Priest dude? Also, should I actually use GW models or should I do my "Chinese Terracotta army counts as Khemri" idea?

Only one proviso. No Chariots...

I know Khemri chariots are supposed to be dead good but I just don't like them...

There is one question you should ask yourself when you start Tomb Kings. "Do I want to play a fast, aggressive army, or a slow, shooty, defensive army?"

Both are viable choices, but you NEED to decide on which right from the start. While a combination of the two is definately viable, it is VERY hard to settle on the right mix, and I've found that is greatly depends on the army you're playing.

With a fast, aggressive army, obviously tomb kings in chariots, heavy horsemen(as bad as they are..) and fast priests is right up your alley. Tomb Scorpions and carrion are of utmost importance as they can dance around large units, and head straight for warmachines. Chariots and horsemen are your heavy hitters. With their incredible range, boosted by your incantations, they can REALLY surprise an unwitting opponent.

With a defensive army, large blocks of archers seem to be the way to go. Line 'em up in a 10x2 formation, shoot a few rounds, and then reform into a solid fighting core of 5x4(or 5x5 if you're daring!) to lock down your opponents. I find that a screaming skull catapult (or two.. yes.. always two!) is incredible. With your priestly incantations forcing them to fire double time, you can usually land one or two piles of skulls in the right spot, with the other few being scary and range-finding.

Ushabti are a great hammer unit. Leave them about 10" behind your exposed skeleton units. When your opponent is forced into a charge(charge them, or they charge you!) with the skeletons, the ushabti can step in to dish out some S6 hurtage. As usual, tomb scorpions are a key to this list also, as they can undercut your opponents warmachine and wizard elements.

Welcome to the sands!
d