PDA

View Full Version : Empire advancing from 1000p to 2000p

Pioneer
08-01-2007, 20:51
Ok, I got 1000p army that will be upgrated to 2000p. I still have the old armybook (points calculated from it), I need to order the new one and new rulesbook with my new troops. Here's a list that I thought for basic core army:

Empire army

Lords and Heroes:

Elector Count (general) w. Greatsweapon, Full Plate and Holy Relic 143p
I don't have this one yet, I thought of converting him from 40k Solar Macharius.

Captain w. Battle Standard, Bitting Blade and Armor of Meteoric Iron 125p
The bitting blade stays for the following reason: I have a Mordheim Marienburg Captain model and he has 2 pistols on his belt. Thus giving a third pistol on he's left hand he can shoot all 3 pistols in cc (fast shooter...) as he has 3 basic attacks, 4 as a strenght and "armour Piercing" from bitting blade. I just need to think of an reason why he doesn't fire them as a missile weapon... WYSIWYG-ish

Battle Wizard of Light Order, lvl 2 and Dispel Scroll 100p

Warrior Priest w. Greatweapon, Heavy Armor and Sigil of Sigmar 123p

Core:

19 Spearmen w. Full Command and War Banner 188p
- Detachment: 8 Freemen 40p
- Detachment: 8 Handgunners 64p

24 Swordsmen w. Full Command 193p
- Detachment: 10 Halbediers 60p

24 Swordsmen w. Full Command 193p
- Detachment: 10 Halbediers 60p

I don't have either Swordsmen block yet, I tought of mixing old troop parts with new ones.

5 Iner Circle Knights w. Full Command 170p

10 Crossbowmen 80p

5 Huntsmen 50p

Speacial:

Mortar 75p

Great Cannon 100p

5 Pistoliers w. Marksman w. Repeater Pistol 112p
I will get these same time as swordsmen.

Total: 1998p

For 2500p army there will be Greatswords, Hellblaster and maybe those new rocket launchers. I don't like the GW version, so I'll be modeling my own from Artillery left-over parts.

I'd like to hear any thoughts one the new unit choices before making the order, thanks for now...
-Pioneer

Kidjal
08-01-2007, 22:28
Have you got the new book?

Firstly, free company and handgunners are minimum unit size 10.

Battle standards can only take one magic item, including a magic banner if you take one. The exception to this is now Ludwig Schwarzhelm, but hes a dude.

Personally, I'd drop the outrider from the pistoliers, use the 17 points you'll save towards another pistolier instead. T'only reason you need a champion there is if they get into combat. He wont do much good anyway, and if you get there pistoliers are doing something wrong. If you can get a musician in there now (n ew rules allow this,) do so and help them rally easier.

I'd drop the 4 extra men from the two swordsmen blocks, use the points to buy the extra handgunners and militia you need to stay legal.

I'd ditch the warrior preist and take an engineer with a hochland long rifle as you only have two war machines. Stick him nearby, snipe, and help him shoot them every other turn.

Basically, the lists sound...just needs tweaking to make it legal (new book, new points values, new rules,) and other stuff is just my experience.

Good luck!

Pioneer
09-01-2007, 08:30
1:Have you got the new book?
2:Firstly, free company and handgunners are minimum unit size 10.
3:Good luck!

1:Like I wrote on the frist post, no I don't have th new armybook, yet...

2:Even for Detachemnt units?

3:Thanks

Kidjal
09-01-2007, 12:00
1:Like I wrote on the frist post, no I don't have th new armybook, yet...

2:Even for Detachemnt units?

3:Thanks

Yep. And they can't be more than half the unit size of the parent unit.

Sorry, didn't notice that part!

Pioneer
09-01-2007, 12:35
I'll have to modify the list after getting and reading the new armybook...

ffarsight
09-01-2007, 13:19
Sorry kidjal, but yes you can get 5+ models in detach. and his army is legal.

I don´t think engineer is worth taking, a W.P. is a nice addition, i personally take 2, there are great.

The inner circle knights should be 6 with exta punch of a character, or take out the inner and make them just a 5 unit of normal knights, only 115 points and effective.

I think its a okay list, but it seems that something is missing... like a power unit( 10 knights IC or Steamtank, or War Altair, Griffon...something big)

Bye

Pioneer
09-01-2007, 14:12

Yesh, thank you...

The inner circle knights should be 6 with exta punch of a character, or take out the inner and make them just a 5 unit of normal knights, only 115 points and effective.

I agree with cheaper version, I don't like Knights that much so thay can watch the other flank while Pistoliers guard the other.

I think its a okay list, but it seems that something is missing... like a power unit( 10 knights IC or Steamtank, or War Altair, Griffon...something big)

I could change one of the Swordsmen to Greatswords. 19 of them and include the Priest in it. Griffon could also do the job, but what kind of an hero should ride it? Haven't used one before... Steam tank also could work, as costly as it is I'll pass on it for now...

All point values will corrected when I have the the book...

Kidjal
09-01-2007, 18:30

I donīt think engineer is worth taking, a W.P. is a nice addition, i personally take 2, there are great.

Bye

Ahh, yes.. Sorry. Didn't see the bit in the detachment system page about the "regardless of usual minimum"

Pioneer
10-01-2007, 08:52

Is the army any good? Should I change some options before bying them?

ffarsight
10-01-2007, 14:44
Is the army any good? Should I change some options before bying them?

Well, first, if you are decided to play empire, then i think you should buy the models in this army, with one exception --- instead of buying 3 x 24 units of state troops(spearmem and swordsmen) buy a 20 greatsword (or teuton Guard --they are lovely, and can be used as the same) for some variations on the army. i would suggest buyong the battalion box and the rest after. You will get 10 knight (for some extra unit you would like latter on)

Of course this is my Humble opinion... and go forward.....

SIGMARRRRRRRRR

Makarion
10-01-2007, 17:13
You could try and figure out what kind of background you want your army to have, and base your troop choices on that. For instance, an army lead by a general is bound to have greatswords and halberds, a Sigmarite army would have flagellants, knights templar and probably free company, a Stirland army would have more archers and spearmen than handgunners and swordsmen, etc.

Also, much as I like the unit for it's idea, the huntsmen are very expensive for their mediocre prowess. Just for marchblocking they're not good value (10 points apiece and armed with a regular bow in the new book), so I'd be tempted to use normal archers if you want a screen, or pistoliers, depending on the army background. Or even Kislevites, if you end up playing Ostland or one of the eastern marches.

Pioneer
10-01-2007, 18:23
...Stirland army would have more archers and spearmen than handgunners and swordsmen, etc.

Thank you, this was helping since I have painted those models that I allready have with colors of Stirland. I really need to make that stationary Mortar what was seen in WD some time ago... Anything else? If not Greatswords, could some DoW units make the hammer unit, something that goes with the theme?

Makarion
10-01-2007, 19:46
Stirland is very rustic, and as such is unlikely to have much in the way of crossbows (yes, they are a modern innovation in the Empire), heavy armour, etc.

As to a hammer unit, I would go for vanilla (non-IC) knights. Every province has temples, and templar knights are about as hard-hitting as it comes for the Empire. They are also very traditional, so that fits right in. With 6 knights, one block of swordsmen (they, again, are somewhat "high tech"), two blocks of spearmen, detachments of halberds and archers plus some huntsmen you've got most bases covered other than warmachine killing. I'm not sure what you can do about that, to be honest, other than including more magic. There's bound to be a local hermit or two :).

As to DoW units, the Moot is just around the corner of Stirland, so halflings are perfectly suitable. Sylvania isn't too far off either, so if you go for a grimmer feel and make it a knights/witchhunter army (with a core of honest peasantfolk and local hunters) the Doomed Company might be a fit.

Alternatively, you could make it the Elector Count's army. Even Stirland has one (honestly!), and that would explain the greatswords (his guard) and any halberds (all provincial armies have them, by Imperial decree).

Good luck, and have fun! Background stories can add a lot to an army, and with some creativity don't *have* to limit you too horribly.

Pioneer
11-01-2007, 11:19
I found some history of Stirland and they seem to have very good trading relationship with the Dwarfs. Would any of their DoW units make a good hammer unit?

Here's a Another kind of list that was made with the Stirland theme in mind (and still with the old book):

Elector Count w. Full Plate, Great Weapon and Holy Relic 153p
Captain w. Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armor, Lance, Enchanted Shield and Doomfire Ring 107p
Warrior-Priest w. Great Weapon, AoMI, Sigil of Sigmar 149p
Battle Wizard w. Lvl 2, Wizards Staff and Dispel Scroll 135p

Core:

23 Spearmen w. Full Command and War Banner - Detachments: 10 Archers 80p and 10 Freemen 50p =348p
23 Swordsmen w. Full Command - Detachments: 10 Handgunners 80p and 10 Halbediers 60p =333p
10 Crossbowmen 80p
5 Huntsmen 50p
5 Inner Circle Knights w. Musician and Standard 154p

Special

Great Cannon 100p
Mortar 75p

Rare

8 Duellists w. Pistols 72p
15 Ricco's Rebublican Guard 240p

Total: 2000p

Some of the Magic Items should probably drop, but let's see about them first. Also Orges can go, but they looked nice. I don't know how well does Hot (i)Pod work, but it's a nise addition. Does it have a large tamplate or does the D3 hits replace the template? I'm thinking of converting it from normal Dwarf Stone Thower with the Halfling crew. Maybe only having basic Orges and little lessof Magic Items I could add some other units, I just don't what...

Edit: I have taken off the Orges, Hot Pot and some magic items. I added in Ricco's Rebublican Guard and Duellists, more Spears (pikes) and some skirmishing pistolliers on foot, alltought without armor... River Patrol!

-Pioneer

Pioneer
11-01-2007, 20:22
Those that haven't notised, there is a new list. Few things that I'm wondering about: Are Duellists good for hunting warmachines? Are Ricco's men worth the points as there are other pikemen also on the market...?

Makarion
12-01-2007, 01:40
The Republican Guard would be a long way from home, and I'm not sure they would perform better than another block of spearmen, truth be told.

I'd reduce the handgunner detachment to a 5-man line (detachments don't have the unit's normal minimum size).

On the duellists: I'd not sure, honestly, whether they are all that good. Consider replacing them with 5-6 pistoliers or outriders, they should be decent for war machine hunting (and for chasing lonely wizards that are not in a unit). The River Patrol idea is very nice, story-wise, but I'd be tempted to make them a mounted patrol :).

Although it doesn't matter in your list: Once you upgrade knights to Inner Circle they become a Special choice in the new rules (but they are *not* 0-1).

ffarsight
12-01-2007, 08:28
[QUOTE=Pioneer;1210596]Those that haven't notised, there is a new list. QUOTE]

Where is this new list. is it DOW reg of renw. ?? and can we still take it in our empire army (tournament wise?)

Thanks

Pioneer
12-01-2007, 09:11
The Republican Guard would be a long way from home, and I'm not sure they would perform better than another block of spearmen, truth be told.

I'd reduce the handgunner detachment to a 5-man line (detachments don't have the unit's normal minimum size).

On the duellists: I'd not sure, honestly, whether they are all that good. Consider replacing them with 5-6 pistoliers or outriders, they should be decent for war machine hunting (and for chasing lonely wizards that are not in a unit). The River Patrol idea is very nice, story-wise, but I'd be tempted to make them a mounted patrol :).

The Ricco's men, most likely, will be converted. Thay can work as any, normal Spearmen with a bit better armor or just as other DoW Pikesmen.

The handgunners could be reduced, I'll need to look in that later.

I will be bying the Battallion box so I'll get Pistolliers anyway, the foot patrol just is a tempting idea... Maybe in a smaller games, to bring some color to the battle. Huntsmen do perform the same role and they even got scout, but I think it's more to the theme if they both are there... Duellists will also be converted, some leftover miltia and state troop parts and I got my self a foot pistolliers.

And for ffarsight, the list is just couple messages above.